Aquaculture; improving????

Nah, they are congregating like hounds name calling and lobbing insults.
AA posts links to actual real studies, and lots of them not just from one source. I've read a lot of them and any reasonable person would have to conclude that maybe there is something there. He also just sticks to the facts and doesn't get dragged into all the little traps you guys try to set, I respect that.
These guys just refute and cry about everything claiming lies and not enough credentials and blah blah. Meanwhile, Marine Harvest has that memo leak which backs up all the science. Yet this little gang won't back down. Its quite humerous to read once in a while.

any reasonable person would have to conclude that maybe there is something there.

Your labeling people and the admin has asked us not to do this.

I think everyone on here is a reasonable person

I disagree.
But I won't be getting involved in this. Most people have their opinion on Fish Farms and those opinions won't change, I have mine. Way too much information out there to claim there is no effect or that they are safe.

So - paraphrasing WMY - does the "average fishermen" think the open net-pen industry has no impacts to our wild stocks?

Ok - time for others to post on this...

So - paraphrasing WMY - does the "average fishermen" think the open net-pen industry has no impacts to our wild stocks?

You mean “more than minimal impact” as stated from your cohen commission? I think the question should be worded that way, to be fair.
I don’t think any one claims “no impact”.

Fish farms have an impact but is it worth killing the industry over.

First Nations have an impact on ifs steelhead but the government has ruled that chum egg fisheries are more important and have decided that they are not worth saving because the chum egg industry is worth more.

ok - might need some discussion as to what "minimal" means or looks like, tho..

They have an impact but is that impact worth killing the industry. Sports fishermen have an impact on chinook should they also be removed?

and maybe keep separate issues separate, as well..

How can you keep them separate as a regulatory .

What makes one industry more
Important then an other.

What give one industry the right to kill more then another.

What gives B.C. hydro the right to kill salmon? What gives the contractor the right to level a forest and a stream?

Nah, they are congregating like hounds name calling and lobbing insults.
AA posts links to actual real studies, and lots of them not just from one source. I've read a lot of them and any reasonable person would have to conclude that maybe there is something there. He also just sticks to the facts and doesn't get dragged into all the little traps you guys try to set, I respect that.
These guys just refute and cry about everything claiming lies and not enough credentials and blah blah. Meanwhile, Marine Harvest has that memo leak which backs up all the science. Yet this little gang won't back down. Its quite humerous to read once in a while.

highlighted a key component to your post. “MAYBE”

I suspect that Justice Cohen was looking @ population-level effects as being the trigger between "minimal" verses "more than minimal" effects on wild stocks since he did talk about population-level effects in his comments.

I had a look and couldn't find an actual definition somewhere that Justice Cohen specified. I'd go along w "population-level impacts" as the trigger between "minimal" verses "more than minimal" effects on wild stocks

Last edited:
How can you keep them separate as a regulatory .

What makes one industry more
Important then an other.

What give one industry the right to kill more then another.

What gives B.C. hydro the right to kill salmon? What gives the contractor the right to level a forest and a stream?

this is a similar post to what Steven made a while back. While none of the content of it is about fish farms there is a comparisons being made which demonstrates a relative position which fish farms are in. Thus making them relevant to the discussion.

I suspect that Justice Cohen was looking @ population-level effects as being the trigger between "minimal" verses "more than minimal" effects on wild stocks since he did talk about population-level effects in his comments. I'll check & see if he gave an actual definition somewhere...
This is all I found.

Recommendation 18 - If at any time between now and September 30, 2020, the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans determines that net-pen salmon farms in the Discovery Islands (fish health sub-zone 3-2) pose more than a minimal risk of serious harm to the health of migrating Fraser River sockeye salmon, he or she should promptly order that those salmon farms cease operations.
This recommendation has been implemented. Scientific research is being conducted and a disease risk assessment process is underway and will be completed by 2020. If scientific research indicates that net-pen salmon farms in the Discovery Islands pose more than a minimal risk of serious harm to the health of migrating Fraser River sockeye salmon, salmon farms in the Discovery Islands will be required to cease operations.

The results of the risk assessment may indicate that further research is required to support Ministerial decisions. Additional funding may be required depending on what further research is needed.

the term “more than minimal risk” will predictably become a viciously debated topic in 2020. This will be great material for ngo’s. I can smell it. Lol oops. I shouldn’t laugh.

This is all I found.

Recommendation 18 - If at any time between now and September 30, 2020, the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans determines that net-pen salmon farms in the Discovery Islands (fish health sub-zone 3-2) pose more than a minimal risk of serious harm to the health of migrating Fraser River sockeye salmon, he or she should promptly order that those salmon farms cease operations.
This recommendation has been implemented. Scientific research is being conducted and a disease risk assessment process is underway and will be completed by 2020. If scientific research indicates that net-pen salmon farms in the Discovery Islands pose more than a minimal risk of serious harm to the health of migrating Fraser River sockeye salmon, salmon farms in the Discovery Islands will be required to cease operations.

The results of the risk assessment may indicate that further research is required to support Ministerial decisions. Additional funding may be required depending on what further research is needed.

the term “more than minimal risk” will predictably become a viciously debated topic in 2020. This will be great material for ngo’s. I can smell it. Lol oops. I shouldn’t laugh.

It should be noted that thoes fish farms are being removed

Back