Aquaculture; improving????

[/URL]

You should ask her how her go at salmon farming went...

ya I'm not yet convinced that the patterns of at least sockeye coast-wide this year have anything to do with FF removal. The pattern is far larger than the Broughtons.

From Bristol Bay to the Fraser - runs have been ~2-3 times more than predicted. Scale analysis shows a surprisingly high proportion of 6YOs in some lakes and very high 5YO fish generally. It's my pet theory that some proportion of the sockeye that would have normally returned last year (during the heat dome) instead said "F this - I'm staying out" and returned instead this year.

In addition, it is now generally accepted that large pink numbers mean low sockeye numbers:

So if there are big numbers of sockeye - wouldn't we expect low #s of pinks? Does that pattern follow in the Broughtons? Is there adequate fish fences and DIDSON/ARIS counting to accurately tell the escapement of both species? What would we expect there on even year returns such as this one?

In North coast streams, the large pink returns are in even-numbered years; South Coast odd years. What about the Broughtons? Where's the escapement and/or trawl survey data that indicates the returns there are abnormal this year for pinks?

Last edited:
Besides the favourable ocean conditions part of me wonders if the massive factory ships stayed home because of covid.

Besides the favourable ocean conditions part of me wonders if the massive factory ships stayed home because of covid.

You could be onto something there, but I do know last fall there was alot of them out there doing their thing, a buddy was out observing/flying over them in a multinational effort in gathering evidence

Back