Aquaculture improving?..The Fish Farm Thread

Factory fish farm lobbyists have been hard at work steering the development of a new Aquaculture Act. Fish farms don’t like following environmental protection laws like Canada’s Fisheries Act, they want to be exempt from laws that protect wild fish and our coastal waters.

Factory farms in B.C. are feeling the pressure. This is not the time to let up and give them a breather.

Please check out the following link.

Stop Fish Farm Lobbyists from Writing the Aquaculture Act | Watershed Watch Salmon Society

https://www.comoxvalleyrecord.com/o...l-ruling/?mc_cid=f94ea0dc25&mc_eid=40977b7a71

LETTER – It’s time for the salmon farm industry to quit dragging its heels and accept the federal ruling​

Dear editor
There is a curious human behaviour known as ‘shifting baseline syndrome’ as described in J.B MacKinnon’s book The Once and Future World. As stated in the book, our baseline shifts, and we forget what of the natural world we have lost with every new generation.

For example, on a local level, consider the drastic reduction in the size and number of salmon found in our waters. The Comox Valley once boasted a Tyee Club. In the 1920s, there are records showing over 100 Tyee salmon caught in a two-day period with the largest being 60 pounds (Project Watershed newsletter). I’ve lived here long enough to witness the ‘boom and bust’ of the coho stocks. In Campbell River, up to the 1980s, avid fishers regularly caught their limit with ease.

Unfortunately, by the later decades of the 20th Century, there was already enough over-fishing, ocean pollution, global warming, dam construction and poor forestry practices to have a drastic impact on salmon health and population. It’s unthinkable to me that at the same time, when such an iconic species was already being so negatively impacted, a foreign creature would be introduced and farmed in our waters. Unfortunately, our governments allowed salmon farming to grow to such an extent that now the industries’ employees, as quoted in the Comox Valley Record Feb. 3 (Impending north Island salmon farm closures causing uncertainty) rely on the occupation as a dependable job, seeing the work as ‘secure’ and ‘sustainable.’

For the most part, we adapt and forget, living the norm of the current generation. We keep lowering our expectational bar. The current 21st-century norm on our B.C. coast has been open-net fish farms, even though our American neighbours to the north and south have wisely chosen against the industry.

When will the salmon-farming industry stop dragging its heels and accept the federal announcement of phasing out all fish farms by 2025? And how about starting some responsible re-training for all the industry employees that will be out of a job? When will industries stop seeing past their own self-regulating lobbies and look at the big picture of our current climate crisis and the necessity of protecting our ocean? Tourism, commercial and recreational fishing, and not to mention the oceans’ creatures, are all at stake.

Jane Dunnett,
Comox

https://www.campbellrivermirror.com...or-years/?mc_cid=f94ea0dc25&mc_eid=40977b7a71

The writing has been on the wall for years​

FEEDBACK

For over 15 years, many groups and individuals including many B.C. First Nations, independent scientists, brave DFO scientists, environmental organizations, commercial and sport fishing organizations, ecotourism businesses, and fishing lodges have campaigned to get open net fish farms out of water and on to land, over concern at the harmful effects of sea lice and PRV virus on dwindling stocks of wild salmon.

During this time, DFO has been both industry watchdog and industry proponent in a major conflict of interest. It is therefore gratifying to see Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, Bernadette Jordan, recently approve the request by seven local First Nations to cancel licenses for 19 of these open net fish farms located in their territories in the Discovery Islands.

However, it is disheartening to see the pushback by four north Vancouver Island mayors and their city councils wholly supporting the affected fish farm companies who are calling for a judicial review of the decision.

It is time to respect the knowledge of local First Nations who want to save wild salmon from extinction and want open net fish farms out of coastal waters. If these politicians would instead insist that fish farm companies quit delaying the transition of open net fish farms to closed containment on land – as they have transitioned elsewhere – there would be little or no job loss.

The writing has been on the wall for years: open net fish farms jeopardize the survival of wild salmon. Further stalling the transition of fish farms from water to land is unacceptable…as is the call for a judicial review, which reeks of racism!

Richard Hagensen
Council of Canadians,
Campbell River Chapter

Just listened to Jill on CKNW give the talking head for the Fish Farms about ten minutes of uninterupted air time whinning about the Government to Government decision to remove the Open net cage fish farms out of the discovery Island. He explained how this was going to result in the killing of hundreds of thousands perhaps a million animals. I wonder what happens to them when they are sliced and diced or thrown into the landfill when they are suffering with disease? Time to pony up and move onto land and stop wimpering.

We must agree with Horgan on these latest closure and how the feds made the decision.. whether you agree or disagree with the(any)industry being effected , decisions like these must be done with all parties at the table.
Its a slippery slope that has started if this is how decisions will be made in the future, I fear for the future of Canada moving forward and any industry that may not be the flavour of the times, if the decision stands as is....

There are many other fisheries opposed by First Nations, including recreational fisheries in many areas. Closure without consulting the industry does set a precedent that may not be good for other industries. FF, like them or not, have a point that the sudden decision places undue hardship on them.

Mega Hypocrisy buried within that statement tho, and selective memory:

Behind the scenes, the restricted access Canadian Council of Fisheries and Aquaculture Ministers (No FNs) have been driving the National Aquaculture Development Strategy, the in-development Pacific Aquaculture Regulations (PAR), & the "new" proposed Aquaculture Act with DFO. Nobody else invited to those meetings that have been going on for many years:

In addition, Horton makes a big deal going on about BC ratifying UNDRIP while standing with the same foreign corporations & their PR spokespersons (Fraser) who don't like the bilateral FN-fed negotiations and are taking the feds to court on it.

MEGA hypocrisy! Horton is a politician, however. Doesn't matter what party he claims to belong to. They're all the same. I wonder how many years and dollars have been transferred into party election coffers...

Last edited:
We must agree with Horgan on these latest closure and how the feds made the decision.. whether you agree or disagree with the(any)industry being effected , decisions like these must be done with all parties at the table.
Its a slippery slope that has started if this is how decisions will be made in the future, I fear for the future of Canada moving forward and any industry that may not be the flavour of the times, if the decision stands as is....
I wonder if they knew why their leases were only renewed for one year at a time?

Of course they knew, Terrin. And the Cohen recommendations were on the books for years, as well. But they've always had things their way. So, ignore the noise and keep on trucking. Their lobbyists have always gotten whatever oversight legislation that was in their way changed, while making up what they needed behind closed doors w DFO. Until now.

I wonder if they knew why their leases were only renewed for one year at a time?
Actually it was the DFO licence that was on an annual term not the BCtenures ................ many of the BC tenures do not expire for years. It is my understanding that BC was not part of the discussions. The Cohen 19 recommendation work (9 RA's) determined that there was no more than minimal harm posed to Fraser sockeye.

You are right about the differences between licences and tenure, HG - but you are misquoting Cohen. That is NOT what he said or determined:

Recommendation 3
The Government of Canada should remove from the Department of Fisheries and Oceans’ mandate the promotion of salmon farming as an industry and farmed salmon as a product.

Recommendation 18
If at any time between now and September 30, 2020, the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans determines that net-pen salmon farms in the Discovery Islands (fish health sub-zone 3-2) pose more than a minimal risk of serious harm to the health of migrating Fraser River sockeye salmon, he or she should promptly order that those salmon farms cease operations.

Recommendation 19
On September 30, 2020, the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans should prohibit net-pen salmon farming in the Discovery Islands (fish health sub-zone 3-2) unless he or she is satisfied that such farms pose at most a minimal risk of serious harm to the health of migrating Fraser River sockeye salmon. The Minister’s decision should summarize the information relied on and include detailed reasons. The decision should be published on the Department of Fisheries and Oceans’ website.

Recommendation 23
The Department of Fisheries and Oceans should, by September 30, 2013, complete and make public a risk assessment of the interactions of Fraser River sockeye salmon with enhanced salmon in the marine environment.

Recommendation 67
The fish health research priorities of the Department of Fisheries and Oceans should reflect its responsibility for the conservation of wild fish. To that end, DFO’s science managers should encourage innovation and new research into novel diseases and other conditions affecting wild fish, beyond the interests of specific “clients” such as the Canadian Food Inspection Agency or aquaculture management.

DFO stated after the 9 Risk assessments were completed that there was no more than a minimal risk to Fraser sockeye. The Minister stated that the decision to phase out the farms in the DI was because the 7 FN all opposed them being re-licensed .................... no other reason (and that this decision was very very difficult). I'm fine with the decision but I worry about the precedent it sets with future licensing decisions and not just finfish aquaculture licence decisions. I have no skin on the FF business but that was a blow from left field especially when many FF sites had BC tenures with many years left. I also get how the FF jobs are important to the economy on the North island. I also have seen how the industry has got better since the 1980's much like logging practices have evolved.

As far as DFO's communication's branch claims are "Minimal" effects - see:

DFO stated after the 9 Risk assessments were completed that there was no more than a minimal risk to Fraser sockeye. The Minister stated that the decision to phase out the farms in the DI was because the 7 FN all opposed them being re-licensed .................... no other reason (and that this decision was very very difficult). I'm fine with the decision but I worry about the precedent it sets with future licensing decisions and not just finfish aquaculture licence decisions. I have no skin on the FF business but that was a blow from left field especially when many FF sites had BC tenures with many years left. I also get how the FF jobs are important to the economy on the North island. I also have seen how the industry has got better since the 1980's much like logging practices have evolved.
The logging Companies are currently arguing to log the very last bit of Old Growth that is left. Fish Farms are still having major sea lice issues and disease outbreaks so not much has really changed. We all saw the raw unteated effluent spewing into ocean from the Fish Farm processing facility and until caught just carry on in the pursuit of profits at any cost. It is about time the DFO has nation to nation discussions about fishery issues instead of Foriegn corporate shills wining and dining the swamp in Ottawa on how to eat the pie and throw off some crumbs in the form of a few jobs without any discussions of the stakeholders which include the Wild Fish that live in the Ocean.

Furthermore, on the tenure question:

Not only did the industry get the tenures originally in FN territory that did not want them there - the Provincial BC government that leases out the tenures for public Provincial Crown Land (the industry does not own the tenures, nor the federal water column) has now ratified UNDRIP - as evidenced by Horton's bragging when he was standing next to Fraser in that news briefing defending the industry. So, that gig is up.

Last edited:
Back