Anywhere to fish specifically for cabezon near vancouver

ichenjia

Hi folks,

Just curious, where to fish for cabezon specifically in Vancouver and what methods do you use? Area 28 and 29 have so many restrictions, definitely don't want to target rocks and lings.

Thanks!

Cabezon count as part of a daily limit for rockfish. Just a heads up. Ate my first one this summer and man was it delicious.

Attachments

• 20210820_145848.jpg
    20210820_145848.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 156
DFO observer at the China creek docks was counting it as part of our limit that particular day. I assumed that he knew the scoop, i could be wrong.

Back to the OP's original question... I think you would be hard pressed to find a cabezon of meal size around Vancouver. They are pretty rare to find even on the west coast or north of Vancouver Island. You're probably more likely to catch a halibut on the inside...

Closest place to try and target them would be on the other side of Georgia Straight if you were so inclined.

Cabezon count as part of a daily limit for rockfish. Just a heads up. Ate my first one this summer and man was it delicious.
I am pretty sure cabezon is a sculpin. here is the quote directly from DFO website

Cabezon is a species of sculpin; for daily and possession limits, please see the species regulations table above for sculpin

Back to the OP's original question... I think you would be hard pressed to find a cabezon of meal size around Vancouver. They are pretty rare to find even on the west coast or north of Vancouver Island. You're probably more likely to catch a halibut on the inside...

Closest place to try and target them would be on the other side of Georgia Straight if you were so inclined.
I caught several meal-sized ones around Saltspring island. Are they that rare around Howe Sound or Deep Cove? Since you brought up halibut, have you heard anyone catching them around Vancouver?

i’ve got lots north of seymour narrows.. i toss them back personally. i dunno…usually when you have something that you need to soak in milk and this and that and then kneel to the gods of the north etc i’ll usually pass…
Why do they soak cabezon in milk?

Odd one around the gulf islands . Targeting them around vancouver is problematic as you will have lots of rockfish by catch if you ever even found one . They relate heavy to kelp just like a greenling .

Of the original question I have no clue where to get'm near Van. But Ugly as a winter night shift and yes they fight! My poor bass flipping stick was humped over more than I've ever seen. Kinda supprised it held. Everyone told me they're good to eat but we kept throwing them back. Looked like Satans water born brother you were gonna wack.

Attachments

• thumbnail_Resized_20210809_121139.jpg
    thumbnail_Resized_20210809_121139.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 143
They don't that just idiotic garbage someone who knows zip posted in fact it's easy as pie to cook and is delicious.
my comments were clearly tongue in cheek and meant to invoke a laugh which i achieved.

anyways….

i’ve caught boatloads of them; prepared them several different ways, and i personally have never cared for the taste and specifically the texture. when i tried to research, i found a variety of methods to make them “more palatable.”

Anyways, from now on they stay in the salt for this guy.

Cabezon are delicious and one of the best eating bottom fish IMO. Lingcod are almost as ugly, but you don't hear any bias against them, because most people already know that they are great eating fish.

Unfortunately, you are unlikely to catch any Cabezon around Vancouver. As already mentioned there are spots on the other side of the strait where they can be found. However, most people would rather give up their first born than their prime bottom fishing locations. There's just too much pressure on the bottom stocks now that the open areas and retention of Salmon has been reduced to a pittance around Vancouver and the southern Gulf Islands.

Seems the places I've caught my big cabezon is where juvenile ling cod thrive. Catch more of them than adult lings.

Back