Any tips for me on these spoons?

• Thread starter Thread starter dog
  • Start date Start date
Right 6 are Pals. Left side are top to btm, 2 small Luhr J*s I think (may be good for Coho?), then LJ Manistee 50-50 hammered, Gibbs FST, LJ McMahon 50-50 hammered, and finally a huge #6 Glendon Stuart.

I think it is interesting that the Gibbs FST and the LJ Manistee are almost identical, except they put the hook on the opposite ends. My guess to the reason is (because the Gibbs says Pat1928 on it), that Luhr Jensen probably was avoiding patent infringement initially by suggesting puting the hook on the other end. Just a guess. I am also curious if the Pals are from now defunct Palco.

never used any of them, however would suggest you cut off the
swivel and tie direct to the ring....
gives a better action to the spoons !

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

never used any of them, however would suggest you cut off the
swivel and tie direct to the ring....
gives a better action to the spoons !

Those are some good spoons there..the brass ones are going to be a ***** to maintain as they do tarnish etc... that's why modern day ones are painted (Coyotes/Gypsies).

However, they're good spooons, and unless you're going to be motoring pretty good, do cut off the swivels, either way they're great for catching fish---and that they do!

The Palco's should be great, and are meant to mimic sandlance.

Funny thing is...if there were only more fish around...we could spend more time fishing and trying different lures!

Lots of the old commercial lures catch fish, and there's a reason so many were made.

I have a couple of boxes full of those same spoons, and others,left to me by my grandfather.Never tried them,even though I know most of them have probably caught their fair share of fish in their time.
Always seem to resort to a good ol' tried n true Titanspoon.(IMHO a stronger spoon and use better hooks than a Coyote)
At ten bucks a pop for a spoon these days,I think I might do some experimenting in the next couple of months.Please let us know if you have found any of those spoons overly productive for springs.Thanx.

quote:Originally posted by Morty

I have a couple of boxes full of those same spoons, and others,left to me by my grandfather.Never tried them,even though I know most of them have probably caught their fair share of fish in their time.
Always seem to resort to a good ol' tried n true Titanspoon.(IMHO a stronger spoon and use better hooks than a Coyote)
At ten bucks a pop for a spoon these days,I think I might do some experimenting in the next couple of months.Please let us know if you have found any of those spoons overly productive for springs.Thanx.

Hey Morty.

I've used Palco or Pals locally in Vancouver and at a couple of different locales on the coast, caught Coho and Springs on them.

They work...just gotta give 'em a chance!

Back