Another "Which boat should I buy?" thread

albravo2

Over the years I've noticed on a number of forums that there are people with deep subject knowledge that don't seem to mind answering different flavours of the same question so I'd like to tap into that body of knowledge with the obligatory apology for asking a question that has already been asked a thousand times-- What boat should I buy?

I've fished a fair bit and run boats a fair bit but the two hobbies have never overlapped until this Sept when I went out for springs with a friend at Sandheads. It was a gorgeous sunny day and the fish were biting so it will surprise nobody that I caught the bug and am now looking for a boat. My wife is onside and I have funds available.

I understand that boats are an exercise in compromise so I've tried to be pretty specific in refining my mission and desired features--

Mission: Fishing, 2-4 people, occasionally solo and occasionally a bigger group. Day-use only, no overnights. Local waters in Howe Sound but sometimes Capilano, Bowen or Sandheads. A couple times a year I'd like to do a road trip to fish somewhere new like Prince Rupert or the Island. I drive a diesel F350 and am no stranger to towing. I'm not looking for an offshore boat but definitely something that can handle modest seas with a hamfisted helmsman. I'm not hardcore enough to leave dock when weather is poor and water is rough but I do understand that sometimes you leave on calm water and return home in a blow.

Must Have Features:
- First and most important, whatever I buy will have to be a reasonable gamble in terms of holding its value over time. I don't mind taking money from the investments pile and putting into the fun pile but I'd like some sense that when I'm done having fun I can put something back in the investment pile. In my mind, that rules out a new boat.
- Must be on a trailer and not be so big I hesitate to button on and go fishing. I saw an ad for a nice 280 but it was so beamy it would have been a chore to tow.
- Must be outboards, bonus points for two engines because I like the manoeuvrability and the sense that if I lose one engine I'm still getting home. I'm a Yamaha 4 stroke fan but am open to advice about other power.
- Must be a hardtop, bonus points for real glass between me and the spray.

Desired Features:
- a kicker to keep hours off the main engines, not sure if that should be on a remote, separate helm, or just tied to the mains.
- a heater would be nice. I'm not sure how much they cost to add.
- a proper head, not a portapotty but I don't know yet how the waste is disposed of. I used to just pump it out into the ocean but I wouldn't be surprised if that is no longer the fashion or the law.
- electronics in order of priority: VHF, plotter/fishfinder, radar, auto-helm, stereo
- all the usual stuff-- rocketlaunchers, downriggers, livewell, fish locker, fresh and salt water washdowns

My search thus far is leaning me toward a 23-26' Striper, Grady or Whaler but that is mostly because those are names I recognize. Max budget is around $100k but it would be a lot easier to justify something in the $65-70k range. I would appreciate any questions or criticisms of my desired features and any advice of boats/models/engines to avoid.

Thanks in advance, Allan

What a fun mission - helping someone spend money! Obviously everybody has their own opinions and these are mine.

When you start talking hardtop and a heater, my mind turns to Hourstons -- and if you want 4 onboard, you're probably looking at least 20' and more like 23'. If you're going to have a heater, consider a diesel stovetop/heater for about $3K -- hot coffee or soup as well as warm cabin. There are cheaper heaters. The 23 will usually have a table, so a couple guys can sit down for soup or sandwich - and a v-berth, so a nap is an option. Especially good if kids are along. And if its podded with outboards, you'll have plenty of room in the cockpit. On my boat, the kicker is hooked into the hydraulic steering - a set of valves allow me to switch between steering the main or steering the kicker - from either steering station - cabin or cockpit.

Look for fully rebuilt stringers and a new transom or a good survey -- and your budget should be adequate. I trailer mine comfortably with a Dodge 2500. And its a great boat for an unexpected afternoon blow.

Check out example - near new 23 Hourston for $85K -

Also consider Sea Sport, Skagit Orca, Sea West and others.

Last edited:
Your list is well thought out, but you've described an offshore boat even if you don't plan to go offshore. You don't need a livewell.

There you go.
That only works if his budget is $100K in USD. But there are boats that are in his range of $65-100K and meet his wish list. Another example:

23’ Hourston Glascraft​

CA$80,000

1728142618392.png

Excellent advice all:
- that Skagit is pretty perfect, save for the price. Would it hold that value?
- the head is going from a must-have to a nice-to-have. I could probably make do (no pun intended) with a porta-potty
- good point on the livewell. I suppose that is more a tropical fishing requirement.
- there is a "deal" on a new Hewescraft 250 Alaskan at a dealer in ON, $199k down from $275k but I think that more reflects an attempt at price gouging when the market was hot. I doubt it will sell for high 100s in a few years

A few questions based on my search so far:
- are kickers necessary? I'm surprised how many fishing boats don't have them.
- are Evinrude engines the kiss of death now that they don't make them anymore?
- thoughts on Wellcraft boats? There is a nice 252 coastal pilothouse on marketplace that would fit my budget

This Sea Sport 24 for $75K would have fit your bill - except for the inboard. I know the owner - a perfectionist mechanic - and the boat was in top condition. There were several others with outboards at the time that were closer to your upper budget.

1728143995513.png

- thoughts on Wellcraft boats? There is a nice 252 coastal pilothouse on marketplace that would fit my budget

You need a kicker if you have a single main. A kicker is not strictly necessary if you have twin power - today's 4-strokes will troll all day and not get fouled up. But the hours on the kicker could easily be 5 or 10 times what you'd put on your mains. Do you really want to rack up hours on a motor that costs $10Ks to replace or a kicker that costs $4-5K? My 2 cents.

You need a kicker if you have a single main. A kicker is not strictly necessary if you have twin power - today's 4-strokes will troll all day and not get fouled up. But the hours on the kicker could easily be 5 or 10 times what you'd put on your mains. Do you really want to rack up hours on a motor that costs $10Ks to replace or a kicker that costs $4-5K? My 2 cents.
Unless you're trying to rack up hours so you can justify new power to your wife due to "safety concerns" ahem.

Excellent advice all:
- that Skagit is pretty perfect, save for the price. Would it hold that value?
- the head is going from a must-have to a nice-to-have. I could probably make do (no pun intended) with a porta-potty
- good point on the livewell. I suppose that is more a tropical fishing requirement.
- there is a "deal" on a new Hewescraft 250 Alaskan at a dealer in ON, $199k down from $275k but I think that more reflects an attempt at price gouging when the market was hot. I doubt it will sell for high 100s in a few years
5 gallon bucket with snap on toilet seat works great. I have a toilet and have never used it Grady purchased 1991. I have just told those fishing with me if you use it, you clean it.

5 gallon bucket with snap on toilet seat works great. I have a toilet and have never used it Grady purchased 1991. I have just told those fishing with me if you use it, you clean it.
So do you just half fill with water and hope that nothing rubs the sides?

i would say you no longer need a kicker if you throw in $$$ for alternate propulsion. i am happy i got rid of my kicker on my single engined boat. of course i did replace it with an electric drive, upgraded lithium batteries, DC generator, autopilot, etc -- so you need something. a kicker is much cheaper if you use it often. if you arent using it often it wont work when you need it -- as mine didnt. in which case spend 4X the amount on an electric drive unit which you can use often because its so convenient.

As mentioned-kicker for sure with single Amin engine
Evinrude- I would personally stay away, there will come a time fairly soon that they will be hard to get support for
Wellcraft boats are good, have it inspected as you should be doing with any used boat your looking at
Ports potty will be fine for most people, I have a separate head and the wife likes it but not always necessary

Based on the features you are looking for, I'd watch out to see if a Monaro comes up. My brother owns one - they are not what you would call 'fashion forward' but they are extremely well built, well laid out and hold their value.

Back