All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't have much time to post as I am off to an arena, where I spent 20 hours over the weekend which is why I haven't spent much time here, trying to get 750 kids back on the ice and organized into teams. I do want to state that I am concerned about the tone this thread is taking. The digging in on either side of the vaccination issue comes from both fear an passion. While both of those things can be very powerful, we need to maintain a level of respect here. Calling people out, insinuating another human should not receive care because of a choice they made, or stating that none of our institutions can be trusted and that anyone who follows medical or government guidelines are all wanton sheep, is just not on. Time to dial back the unnecessary rhetoric and get back to a respectful level of tolerance for others. Better yet, go check out Dave's stories from the Tyee Pool, it will make you feel better about life for a moment or two.

I think the thing that really bothers me is People threatening to harass businesses because they are complying with the law. It is fine to make a decision not to take the vaccine but take responsibility for that decision. Every decision we make comes with consequences. If you want the right to make the decision then buck up and take the consequences.

Most businesses have suffered real stress through the pandemic. Please don't make it worse by threatening economic harm simply because the opt to abide by the law.

Good grief man! How can you say it is untested when millions upon millions of people around the world have taken the vaccines? What more testing do you want? And yes, while there have been some unfortunate side effects, find me a drug that does not advertise some side effects. The vaccines have overwhelmingly proven to reduce the risk of catching the virus and significantly reducing the negative effects of the virus for vaccinated people who get the virus. Look at the stats!!
I'm never said they didn't, anywhere. But it should be up to me if I want this in my body.

And it hasn't been tested, it's only been around for less than a year. There is no possible way to know any long term effects this may have on us. The fact that millions of people have decided to inject this into their bodies is not a test.

As of Monday, Sept. 13, 2021, 85.8% (3,978,624) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 78.4% (3,632,547) received their second dose.

In addition, 86.4% (3,737,364) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose and 79.3% (3,428,060) received their second dose.

Over a three-day period, B.C. is reporting 1,984 new cases of COVID-19, for a total of 175,142 cases in the province:

• Sept. 10-11: 823 new cases
  • Sept. 11-12: 641 new cases
  • Sept. 12-13: 520 new cases
Note: The numbers of total and new cases are provisional due to a delayed data refresh and will be verified once confirmed.

There are 5,825 active cases of COVID-19 in the province and 167,078 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 278 individuals are in hospital and 139 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.

I'm never said they didn't, anywhere. But it should be up to me if I want this in my body.

And it hasn't been tested, it's only been around for less than a year. There is no possible way to know any long term effects this may have on us. The fact that millions of people have decided to inject this into their bodies is not a test.
It is up to you to determine whether you get the vaccine or not. No one is forcing it on you. There will, however, be restrictions on what you can do and where you can go should you choose not to be vaccinated. as a matter of interest, the Polio vaccine was only tested for one year before it was approved for use.…

mRNA has been around since 2012.

As of Monday, Sept. 13, 2021, 85.8% (3,978,624) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 78.4% (3,632,547) received their second dose.

In addition, 86.4% (3,737,364) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose and 79.3% (3,428,060) received their second dose.

Over a three-day period, B.C. is reporting 1,984 new cases of COVID-19, for a total of 175,142 cases in the province:

• Sept. 10-11: 823 new cases
  • Sept. 11-12: 641 new cases
  • Sept. 12-13: 520 new cases
Note: The numbers of total and new cases are provisional due to a delayed data refresh and will be verified once confirmed.

There are 5,825 active cases of COVID-19 in the province and 167,078 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 278 individuals are in hospital and 139 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.
So divide 5825 by 5 million in BC

Not a very big number at all. I’ll let you do the math

I’ll take my chances. Especially if you get Covid(which I did, positive test to prove it) you have a 99.96% chance of not dying.

I’ll take my chances. Especially if you get Covid(which I did, positive test to prove it) you have a 99.96% chance of not dying.
Unless you’re one of the over 4.5 million people or their loved ones that have died from CovidVrhen that percentage doesn’t seem so small

Unless you’re one of the over 4.5 million people or their loved ones that have died from CovidVrhen that percentage doesn’t seem so small

If this is of great concern why is our healthcare system not going though an overhaul. If public health is now a top priority why single out covid is the only thing we need to act upon.

why are we stigmatizing people that got covid and the unvaccinated.

a vaccine passport when we have high rates of vaccination like that come on now really not really necessary.

I think it’s overboard and these pass ports will be gone in know time.

virus induced immunity is now seriously being looked at as the way forward. Giving everyone boosters is being debated.

If this is of great concern why is our healthcare system not going though an overhaul. If public health is now a top priority why single out covid is the only thing we need to act upon.

why are we stigmatizing people that got covid and the unvaccinated.

a vaccine passport when we have high rates of vaccination like that come on now really not really necessary.

I think it’s overboard and these pass ports will be gone in know time.
Within BC, the passport program is set to end January 2022. The main concept behind it is to encourage the reluctant/hesitant to get moving and get vaxed.

I do think though that there will be proof of vax required for most international travel beyond that time. Probably in the form of digital addition to regular nationally issued passport similar to electronic travel visas already in use. This is more of a "we need to be sure" measure. You can all but guarantee that island nations like Australia, NZ, Japan etc will have this requirement. It's a natural addition to their closed-border barrier defence that worked quite well - until the advent of Delta.

virus induced immunity is now seriously being looked at as the way forward. Giving everyone boosters is being debated.

I haven't had a chance to watch this video yet (because I spend my time typing overly long forum posts instead) but I strongly suspect that post-infection immunity is going to be a necessary part of the path to herd immunity.

If it turns out to be true that the vaccinated are just as contagious with delta as the unvaccinated, that'll happen relatively quickly. This isn't known yet, as far as I know at least - the peak viral loads are the same but I don't think anyone knows yet whether the peak is equally long, or what. For all I know, it's longer, I have no idea. I can't think of a reason it would be, I'm just saying we don't know.

Anyway, if you have a whole lot of asymptomatic, contagious people walking around...having naturally induced immunity as part of your plan probably isn't a bad call. All of this stuff factored into my personal shift in risk math (just to be clear I don't actually sit down with a calculator and try to work out the actual math, I'm just talking about the conceptual approach to risk here) that led me to get vaccinated and push my wife to get vaccinated ahead of a fall delta surge: the number of people who now may have no idea they're infected is going to increase, because the vaccines seem to really blunt the symptoms. And how do people usually find out they're infected? By getting tested, after they have symptoms that lead them to worry they might have covid. If you don't develop symptoms, you probably won't ever get tested. If you're equally contagious to an unvaccinated, infected person for that 3-4 day period where the viral load is peaking...yeah, going to see a lot of community transmission under those circumstances.

Granted, since we don't really know all of the above to be true, we may not see a huge spike in community transmission over the fall but that was a big part of the risk math I did for myself as far as whether it was worth being vaccinated before heading into the winter.

I do think the 5825 number is worth considering, in both directions.

On one hand...heart disease kills something like 6500 people in BC every year. And most of us don't walk around worrying about getting a heart attack every day, so some perspective is warranted there. It's not that it's not serious, but in terms of the level of anxiety it generates in people, I think a lot of us could stand to dial down the emotional response.

On the other hand, after cancer, heart disease is the second leading cause of death. So far, the overwhelming majority of covid deaths have been people who were probably in the last few years of their lives...but then, wouldn't the same be true of heart attacks?

So you have a new, infectious disease that's pretty rapidly climbed the charts on cause of death, and the new variant does seem to be going after a broader demographic. I know in some states it's displaced heart disease as the second leading cause of death...that's no joke. I'm sure it's in the top ten in BC by now, maybe the top five.

At the same time, the last time I looked at BC CDC mortality numbers, the average age of people killed by covid here was 86. That's despite a case distribution that looks like this:

case distribution.PNG

Therefore, I continue to believe that it's worth being cautious but I also think it's worth being calm. Delta really is worse and I think it's worth being prepared for that. But BC has really high vaccine uptake now, and I just don't think there's much to be gained by screaming and stamping your feet at the unvaccinated. Statistically, if the numbers seriously climb, many of them will get covid, the overwhelming majority will survive with no medical intervention at all, and then we'll really be able to talk about herd immunity.

For the crowd that thinks that we should be lifting restrictions like vaccine passport but don't understand the unintended consequences, here is what can happen.

‘Major conventions’ left Calgary when Alberta changed policy on COVID-19 testing, tracing, isolation: Nenshi​

September 13, 2021

Calgary lost out on “major conventions” as a result of how the provincial government handled the COVID-19 pandemic, Mayor Naheed Nenshi said Monday.

70c8fc80

“The day that (chief medical officer of health) Dr. (Deena) Hinshaw announced that there would be no more testing or tracing or isolation, we lost five major conventions from Calgary that day,” he told reporters.

Calgary’s outgoing mayor said he has been asking people in the events and convention industry about challenges hitting them in the second year of the pandemic.

“One of the things that I hear a lot is, ‘We’re having a lot of challenges because people outside of Alberta are worried about what this provincial government will do and if they’re committed to keeping visitors and investors and people moving here safe.’”

In a statement to Global News, the Calgary Telus Convention Centre said it has seen “consumer confidence rise and fall throughout the summer and now due to the rising (COVID-19) cases.”

“Bringing national and international events to the city creates important economic impact that will support our city’s recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic,” the statement read. “It also supports the hospitality industry, one of the hardest hit sectors in the last year and a half.”

Stephen Klintberg Nagy, CEO and co-founder of Rockethouse Productions, said he’s heard anecdotes from peers in the events and arts sectors about people leaving the province or the industry because of challenges presented by an inconsistent approach to COVID-19 safety.

“The constant upheaval and the lack of direction that we see from the provincial government is making our days difficult, all of the time,” Klintberg Nagy told Global News, adding the day that changes were announced for testing, tracing and isolation was a difficult one.

He said on Monday morning, a client cancelled an event that he and his team had planned for next week.

It had already gone through seven different iterations in the last three weeks as the COVID-19 situation in the province rapidly changed. A 500-person indoor event turned into a 100-person, invite-only, predominantly-outdoor event before being cancelled altogether.

“The client wants to keep everybody safe,” Klintberg Nagy said. “They want everybody to be able to have a good time.

“With a lack of government direction or government support on how we should best be jumping through (public health measures) hoops, it downloads all of that responsibility onto the individual clients or the individual events professionals to try and come up with the best possible standards.”

Klintberg Nagy said some events had asked guests to volunteer their vaccination status, but noted a standardized vaccination verification system like those used in Quebec, B.C., and soon Ontario, would help provide confidence in the safety of an event.

More:
https://globalnews.ca/news/8187891/calgary-conventions-covid-alberta-nenshi

I do feel for anyone that has lost someone to Covid, or any other disease or health issue that may have taken someones family member.

My point here is that we have shut down our province, people are loosing their businesses, divorce numbers are up, suicide numbers are up when really this thing is not that big, .00117% of BC has Covid. Seems kinda overboard to me is all.

Thats the great thing about this site is that we can all have our opinions and can share our thoughts and information.

I haven't had a chance to watch this video yet (because I spend my time typing overly long forum posts instead) but I strongly suspect that post-infection immunity is going to be a necessary part of the path to herd immunity.

If it turns out to be true that the vaccinated are just as contagious with delta as the unvaccinated, that'll happen relatively quickly. This isn't known yet, as far as I know at least - the peak viral loads are the same but I don't think anyone knows yet whether the peak is equally long, or what. For all I know, it's longer, I have no idea. I can't think of a reason it would be, I'm just saying we don't know.

Anyway, if you have a whole lot of asymptomatic, contagious people walking around...having naturally induced immunity as part of your plan probably isn't a bad call. All of this stuff factored into my personal shift in risk math (just to be clear I don't actually sit down with a calculator and try to work out the actual math, I'm just talking about the conceptual approach to risk here) that led me to get vaccinated and push my wife to get vaccinated ahead of a fall delta surge: the number of people who now may have no idea they're infected is going to increase, because the vaccines seem to really blunt the symptoms. And how do people usually find out they're infected? By getting tested, after they have symptoms that lead them to worry they might have covid. If you don't develop symptoms, you probably won't ever get tested. If you're equally contagious to an unvaccinated, infected person for that 3-4 day period where the viral load is peaking...yeah, going to see a lot of community transmission under those circumstances.

Granted, since we don't really know all of the above to be true, we may not see a huge spike in community transmission over the fall but that was a big part of the risk math I did for myself as far as whether it was worth being vaccinated before heading into the winter.

I do think the 5825 number is worth considering, in both directions.

On one hand...heart disease kills something like 6500 people in BC every year. And most of us don't walk around worrying about getting a heart attack every day, so some perspective is warranted there. It's not that it's not serious, but in terms of the level of anxiety it generates in people, I think a lot of us could stand to dial down the emotional response.

On the other hand, after cancer, heart disease is the second leading cause of death. So far, the overwhelming majority of covid deaths have been people who were probably in the last few years of their lives...but then, wouldn't the same be true of heart attacks?

So you have a new, infectious disease that's pretty rapidly climbed the charts on cause of death, and the new variant does seem to be going after a broader demographic. I know in some states it's displaced heart disease as the second leading cause of death...that's no joke. I'm sure it's in the top ten in BC by now, maybe the top five.

At the same time, the last time I looked at BC CDC mortality numbers, the average age of people killed by covid here was 86. That's despite a case distribution that looks like this:

View attachment 70455

Therefore, I continue to believe that it's worth being cautious but I also think it's worth being calm. Delta really is worse and I think it's worth being prepared for that. But BC has really high vaccine uptake now, and I just don't think there's much to be gained by screaming and stamping your feet at the unvaccinated. Statistically, if the numbers seriously climb, many of them will get covid, the overwhelming majority will survive with no medical intervention at all, and then we'll really be able to talk about herd immunity.

Hard to actually compare covid to something like heart disease. What we have done with covid is like taking away all fatty food, alcohol, cigarettes, drugs so we have much less chance of dieing from heart disease. We are seeing heart disease with basically no intervention. What would our covid numbers be if we did absolutely nothing? Well, it would be well into the millions in the states, that is obvious. While it can be said much less risk now thanks to vaccinations, there are still 1.5 million that aren't - that's still alot of people!

U.S. reports world's first deer with COVID-19​

The U.S. government said on Friday it had confirmed the world's first cases of COVID-19 in deer, expanding the list of animals known to have tested positive for the disease.The U.S. Department of Agriculture reported infections of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, in wild white-tailed deer in the state of Ohio, according to a statement.

The USDA has previously reported COVID-19 in animals including dogs, cats, tigers, lions, snow leopards, otters, gorillas and minks.

Worldwide, most animal infections were reported in species that had close contact with a person with COVID-19, according to the agency.

There is a graph comparing BC, Alberta and Saskatchewan being circulated that is playing fast and lose with the covid-19 numbers. The idea is that we are all doing the same. It's not correct. Here is the real numbers.

E_QUg5FUYAA-6qe

https://t.co/Xr15bjNQKt?amp=1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back