225 yamaha 4 stroke (2003)

spring fever

Noticed a very slight oil sheen on the water when the engine was first started. Had sat in the cove all night and no sheen what-so ever before start-up. Doesn't appear on the water when warm and idling-runs and starts great-doesn't appear to use any oil-no visible oil inside the cowl- good compression 15 hrs ago-am I a worry artist or shouuld I be looking for something sinister-I do carry 4 litres of oil with me. Motor is professionally serviced every season. Any thoughts -535 hrs on the motor. No visible oil anywhere while sitting in garage.

it's like your vehicle , a little puff of blue when started. because your exhauste goes in the water. if I were you get a complete rebuild and then you will be safe (just kidding on the last part worry wart ) hahahahaha

Yeah I was thinking that but when you fish as far off-shore as I do I try to have a very keen sense of curiousity and I had nebver noticed it before but then I just check the water around the leg prior to starting and haven't gone back after-usually one of the other guys calls the tell-tale

The last time I had someting like that it was a fouled plug. It would only do it when first started and would spit out just a little carbon?

Thanks guys-appreciate the input-all probably valid-I do have a very slight leak in the lower right trim unit for which seals are on order and the plugs are due for a change. Never hurts to get different points of view- fair wx and tight lines

Discussed this with a yamaha mechanic-if you leave the engine in the full down position-ie no trim left then a tiny bit of oil will seep by the valve guides and be burnt off at start-up-solution is trim it up a bit before sitting for the night or don't worry about it.

Back