2024 Tuna Adventures

Maybe an odd ball question but don't the bill fish chase the tuna? Swordfish etc ...?
a few here have had albi set ups absolutely smoked, assumption is billfish. one day someone will do it!

Maybe an odd ball question but don't the bill fish chase the tuna? Swordfish etc ...?
Generally yes ,but the only billfish that can tolerate even are warmest temps are broadbill swordfish , and striped marlin . A small handful of stripes have been caught out of Westport over the last 10 years , and the last big El Niño year there ended up being a small but productive broadbill swordfish fishery out of Washington state . I feel like there is more lurking out there late summer/early fall but the tiny amount of boats out there and the gear we use just isn’t conducive to having more frequent run ins . Here's a link to the reports on those swords out of WA .

There was also a broadbill photographed 20 miles off Kyuquot on a offshore bird survey with the coast guard a few years ago , here’s a link to that story https://hashilthsa.com/news/2018-04-15/swordfish-sighting-near-kyuquot-points-effects-global-warming

Allrivers charters out of Washington also caught a shortbilled spearfish a few years back , rare billfish anywhere let alone in the PNW.

IMG_2149.jpeg

Generally yes ,but the only billfish that can tolerate even are warmest temps are broadbill swordfish , and striped marlin . A small handful of stripes have been caught out of Westport over the last 10 years , and the last big El Niño year there ended up being a small but productive broadbill swordfish fishery out of Washington state . I feel like there is more lurking out there late summer/early fall but the tiny amount of boats out there and the gear we use just isn’t conducive to having more frequent run ins . Here's a link to the reports on those swords out of WA .

There was also a broadbill photographed 20 miles off Kyuquot on a offshore bird survey with the coast guard a few years ago , here’s a link to that story https://hashilthsa.com/news/2018-04-15/swordfish-sighting-near-kyuquot-points-effects-global-warming

Allrivers charters out of Washington also caught a shortbilled spearfish a few years back , rare billfish anywhere let alone in the PNW.

View attachment 107941
Just keeps getting more interesting!

Anyone used splash bars like the ones pictured below ? I have a buddy I went to college with that fishes bigeye out on the canyons off Long Island and swears by them in the bigger sizes . I’m thinking of picking up 2 36” , and 2 20” with 6 “ squids. Run two long off the riggers and two short .
IMG_2398.pngIMG_2397.png

Anyone used splash bars like the ones pictured below ? I have a buddy I went to college with that fishes bigeye out on the canyons off Long Island and swears by them in the bigger sizes . I’m thinking of picking up 2 36” , and 2 20” with 6 “ squids. Run two long off the riggers and two short .
View attachment 108483View attachment 108484
I’ve been looking at similar stuff generally seems to be more the merrier with tuna

I’ve been looking at similar stuff generally seems to be more the merrier with tuna
I ran something similar last year in Bamfield at the derby. Figured that the more splashing the better. It may have helped the spread in hooking up on other lines but didn't get a single bite on the actual splash bar trailer with hook. Look great in theory though.

Lots of folks use the . I find they’re a pain in the butt to clear and stow when converting to live bait and iron. If you’re strictly a troll game, then you wouldn’t have that problem.

If you want the bar to run right keep the bar out of the water-and of course that might mean running that rod off the bridge or whatever to elevate things.

Headed to Nootka today, might stop at PNT and grab a couple tuna lures, but the weather doesn’t look great to go that far out until Sunday! That’s when our scheduled depart is. Might take an extra day

Back