2024 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

Coho everywhere! Epsom, all depths. Spoons this time since no herring at Mercers. Relatives got clipped ho & 14 keeper crabs hit the pot! Neighborhood feed happened! Some dude took my slip at Secret cove!

Attachments

• IMG_4106.JPG
    IMG_4106.JPG
    347.1 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_4112.JPG
    IMG_4112.JPG
    233.4 KB · Views: 135
Headed out this morning for a few turns around Epsom in the cloudy, cooler weather. Started in shallow on the bank. Again, zilch. (Why do I keep doing that?)

Headed out deeper into the S wind and started hitting fish. Between 180’ and 350’ it was consistently on, riggers set down deep at 175’ and 225’.

4 chinook in the slot range and 3 coho between 8:30 and 10:00. A few doubles including a popper where this solid male hit and became my only keeper.

IMG_8689.jpeg

78 cms on the tape and nothing in his stomach. Anchovy pattern 3.5 spoons and lemon lime flashers doing the good work.

Again found clouds of bait out deeeeeep and the hitting fish were riding the top and edges of the bait clouds.

IMG_8688.jpeg

Putting this one on the table with the grilled collars tonight.

IMG_8690.jpeg

Fishing has been dead slow for me around bjerre. Coho still hitting off of Epsom but finding Chinook has been elusive!

Fishing has been dead slow for me around bjerre. Coho still hitting off of Epsom but finding Chinook has been elusive!
Same. Fished Epsom this morning from 7:30 - 10:30. Lots of coho and rearing chinook to the boat (~12 or so), especially once the bite turned on around 9:30, but no migratory chinook.

Situation looked good but no keepers today.

IMG_8697.jpeg

Did get a wonderful whale show. Breaching off in the distance around Texada and then a convergence of ~12 humpbacks feeding S of the shoal. They seemed to be diving in groups of 3-4, tails up after 2 or 3 surface breaths.

Last edited:
Fished Epsom for a few tacks last night coming home from Thormanby beaches.

Got some coho and rearing chinook as we came in on the shoal in anywhere from 170’ - 250’. As mentioned by @Jordan330 above, in shallower for the night bite.

Figured any bigger chinook must be mixed in if they were around. Yes and yes.

IMG_8875.jpeg

90 cms hits hard and has to go back. That beauty swam off to fight another day and we called it and headed in.

Probably 12+ boats out there so hope some other folks were getting them.

Fished Epsom for a few tacks last night coming home from Thormanby beaches.

Got some coho and rearing chinook as we came in on the shoal in anywhere from 170’ - 250’. As mentioned by @Jordan330 above, in shallower for the night bite.

Figured any bigger chinook must be mixed in if they were around. Yes and yes.

View attachment 109444

90 cms hits hard and has to go back. That beauty swam off to fight another day and we called it and headed in.

Probably 12+ boats out there so hope some other folks were getting them.
It was really nice of your son to let you borrow his t-shirt ;)
Nice flex!

Night bite was ferocious last night at Epsom. Couldn’t keep two rods down for more than a few minutes. Multiple doubles of a mix of coho and chinooks.

Bonked this 77 cm female who had nothing in her stomach.

IMG_8707.jpeg

Hootchies and spoons both working between 150’ and 200’.

IMG_8708.jpeg

About a dozen boats out so hope everyone was getting into solid action.

Running back to the city today with the boat so that’ll wrap an excellent summer season.

Any reports from Hodgson Islets or Martin Island -- near the entrance to Pender Harbour? Or Bjerrie Shoals??
Thanks

Light NW yesterday after SE all week. Perfect time to take DIL and two grandsons to Pirate Rock. The coho weren't stacked like they can be, but everyone got to play a feisty fighter or two. None clipped of course. One crab and some prawns to round out the day. Sunshine didn't hurt either.

Back