2024 Port McNeill, Telegragh Cove Reports

Plenty of coho, still waiting on the big chinooks.

I went on a mini-trip around the Strait on the weekend. Fished Wells pass, Bremner, bottom of Gordon Group, Donegal, Blackfish Sound.
Best spring numbers were at Brenmer, but I didn’t see or get anything big, mid-teens or smaller. Tons of smaller springs and coho at the Gordons, lots of pinks and coho at Dongeal & Blackfish. Biggest spring I touched in 4 days was a 79cm at Donegal. Not the sort of spring fishing we got used to last summer but no complaints when there are fish everywhere and you know eventually a few bigger ones will roll through.

Did a lazy local afternoon yesterday. Left the docks at 4:30pm headed for blackfish to hit the tide change and eventually the ebb. Jigged up some coho in the midwater near Orca Lab while we were watching Orca and a distant humpback. Toured around through the mouth of Parsons - whales everywhere. Trolled from Flower to Bold Head - missed quite a few bites while watching whales, but managed to get several 10-12lb wild coho to the boat. The coho didnt seem to care about the Orca despite them being all about the place. Did a sunset pass through Mitchel bay and once we got our obligatory pink to the boat, hit a 84cm spring that easily tipped 20 - fattest fish I've seen this year. Sent that one back to spawn and headed home. Not bad for about an hour of fishing time and 3 hours of whale watching/ jigging flat falls in the mid water.

Several chicken hali carcasses at the McNeill boat ramp, as well as a few crab shells.

Not many boats out - 3-4 at each of Doneagle, Flower and CP as well as some midwater wanderers off Double Bay. Whale watching fleet and kayakers dominated blackfish.

Might have to go again this afternoon once the fog lifts, and/or just take tomorrow off and fish all day.

We'll be up next week, hoping to find a halibut on the lazy tides, and staying on for the switch to retention of 80+ cm springs. Those 12 lb wild coho will still be legal on the mainland side where we spend most of our time anchoring out. My daughter is wild for humpback action.

We got a slow start with thick fog this morning, finally moving from our anchorage on Eden Island to Gore Rock at the mouth of Fife. Got there just in time to see a humpback's full breach [daughter is excited] followed by 10 lb coho at 55' with anchovy [daughter is very excited, since she got first fish]. Followed by double-header 6 lb coho [released] and a 9-10 lb chinook [also released]. The chinook was caught at about 115' going over a saddle behind Gore Rock. We may regret that release, but are holding out for larger fish in coming days,

Supposed to be relatively light winds the next few days. Hoping for less fog.

We’ve got a long weekend camping up at bere point coming up this weekend. Not able to take the boat but wondering if anyone has any insight/experience on beach fishing? Worth taking a spinning rod and some buzz bombs?

Thanks in advance

We’ve got a long weekend camping up at bere point coming up this weekend. Not able to take the boat but wondering if anyone has any insight/experience on beach fishing? Worth taking a spinning rod and some buzz bombs?

Thanks in advance
I haven't done it, but the beach at Bere Pt is steep sloping gravel and cobble. Guys fish quite close, especially the cartoppers. I think it would be worth casting from the point and NW. Going SW into the bay there's kelp beds offshore that would make it tougher. If you're into driving and hiking a bit, Lizard Pt is similarly steep gravel and cobble and guys fish close. Also the shore at Mitchell Bay from the govt dock out of the bay.

Reactions: JWS
I haven't done it, but the beach at Bere Pt is steep sloping gravel and cobble. Guys fish quite close, especially the cartoppers. I think it would be worth casting from the point and NW. Going SW into the bay there's kelp beds offshore that would make it tougher. If you're into driving and hiking a bit, Lizard Pt is similarly steep gravel and cobble and guys fish close. Also the shore at Mitchell Bay from the govt dock out of the bay.
Great, thanks!

Thanks in advance
Yes. 💯

White, pink, green and white buzzers.

There are so many coho out there, just not as many hatchery ones as there used to be. Seems like the clipped ones are mostly down by Bowser - Nanaimo

You can keep 1 wild coho on the mainland side, and there seem to be lots moving thru the channels. We did well in the lower part of Fife, and talked to people who said Cramer Pass was lights out -- bites every 3 to 5 minutes. Kids were casting off the dock in Sullivan Bay and getting them. Havent' heard or seen much about springs -- we caught a few small ones - 6-8 lbs, but nothing of note, and haven't heard much.

Seems very quiet…very little chatter on this thread. Anything going on TC way.

Was good this yesterday , couldn’t keep the coho off at donegal,tried a different spot and managed to get a couple nice springs and a couple halis

I've been fishing a fair bit the last couple weeks but I haven't been online much with my spotty internet arrangements in TC. There are definitely still springs around, we hit a bunch yesterday and a bunch 2 days ago, around Malcolm Island.

Hi Friends. Our family is camping in Campbell river next week and thinking about coming up to Port McNeil for one day to fish for halibut. Do have any advice if it’s worth the trip? If so, any advice on locations or strategies? Thank you so much in advance, we love halibut, but never caught any :)

Head to nahwitti bar if you want the best shot at halibut.

There’s a few around off the port hardy airport and some of the banks half way to the mainland.

if you are new to boating or reading tide / wind conditions be careful around nahwitti bar. it is a nasty piece of water for the uninitiated.
like mac said in front of hardy airport around the ledges and drop offs have produced well for me in the past

Well another season is in the books for us here at Telegraph Cove, a couple weeks earlier than usual due to an injury
20240829_161056.jpg
Tore a tendon in my hand while full contact Ling fishing. A few weeks of being immobilized the Doc tells me. Oh well ,it's been a great season with plenty of fish , lots of memories made with family and friends. Coho were and still are thick here with lots of springs in the mix. Not alot of big springs this year but my buddy and I did manage a pair of 39# one morning. Both were great fights and as always the big ones were released. We'll putter here for another week and a half putting things away for the winter and wait for BOS Marine to winterize my boat as trying to do things with one hand is a pain. The new CDory worked great this summer with not one lost fishing day due to a breakdown.
IMG_20240807_065719.jpg
Already can't wait till next year. TC is a magical place and those of us that are fortunate to spend all summer here feel truly blessed. Hope everyone winters well and for those of you still fishing, tips up and tight lines.

Tough way to end your season. Thanks for all the reports and Info sharing.

We head up Saturday for our last trip of the year.

Heal up!

Back