Status
Not open for further replies.
Fishing is good right now, lots of fish around, lots of smaller springs and a few in the 20, lots of coho too, pinks around too so I was told lol, none for me

Spent Tuesday through Friday last week at Renrew. Only one day was spent out at the banks as the pinks were thick and even taking my tomics. Tried every depth down to 140ft and never saw a spring. The beaches on the other hand were producing for all. One of my friends hooked up and handed the rod off to his wife trying to get her hooked on salmon fishing. It turned out this was the largest fish I have ever had to the boat. She would gain some line and the fish would scream off 3x as much line as she had gained. For a while I thought I might have to back down on this monster. Finally, got the fish to the boat and saw it was every bit of 30 lbs. She was unable to lift the rod without help and at one point I am holding the net with one hand and lifting the rod with the other.

Now I have one of the larger model Beckman nets and managed to get the net under the fish. Much to my surprise the fish was larger than the hoop size of the net and was thrashing and bouncing off the rim of the net. The fight ended when the fish absolutely straightened the hook on my Skinny Gee. As sad as we were I know that fish will deliver lots of offspring to keep this fishery healthy. Fishing 60 ft of water at Camper Creek downrigger at 50. The only downside to the trip was the ever present thick fog.

Stopped at Otter on the way back on Saturday. Beautiful day, picked up and released two springs in the high single digits while weeding through all of the pinks.

I seen your boat, even took a pic of it lol, that’s kick butt fishing platform
Thanks man. I have been a forum member for many years, but I don't get the chance to fish with you guys very often. I would be there more often if I could find a few nights moorage in the area. Whenever I call around it seems like the few larger slips are booked long term. It was fun for me to see many of you I have followed on the forum. Hope I didn't get in anyone's way.

Thanks man. I have been a forum member for many years, but I don't get the chance to fish with you guys very often. I would be there more often if I could find a few nights moorage in the area. Whenever I call around it seems like the few larger slips are booked long term. It was fun for me to see many of you I have followed on the forum. Hope I didn't get in anyone's way.
Yup that’s a big boy to park , only A few slips for that size at getaway

Yup that’s a big boy to park , only A few slips for that size at getaway
I just made my reservation for next August today to make sure I get a spot. Great picture you took. Managed to see me when I wasn't in a fog lol.

I just made my reservation for next August today to make sure I get a spot. Great picture you took. Managed to see me when I wasn't in a fog lol.
Ya that was friday at camper, fog lifted about 1 pm , fishing was fantastic that day, on the way back is when my Honda got Covid lol

I seen your boat, even took a pic of it lol, that’s kick butt fishing platform
We all saw your boat in Sooke. Hard to miss it. LOL.
We were commenting on how small the people looked on board that SHIP.
Saw you on plane. Sure looked smooth!

We all saw your boat in Sooke. Hard to miss it. LOL.
We were commenting on how small the people looked on board that SHIP.
Saw you on plane. Sure looked smooth!
She does run really well. I have to chuckle at your observation about the people since I am much bigger than I would like to be. Perhaps it is like those side view mirrors that state " objects are larger than they appear." If you saw me on a 17' Whaler you would say, "that guy needs a bigger boat."

Great fishing ,slo crab,oh I have to mention the trailhead charges room rates in u .s dollars!.phoned from Duncan to Florida to book room.I’ve been told this is an illegal practice in Canada.just a heads up to others…

Great fishing ,slo crab,oh I have to mention the trailhead charges room rates in u .s dollars!.phoned from Duncan to Florida to book room.I’ve been told this is an illegal practice in Canada.just a heads up to others…
I thought I heard last week that Trailhead shut down their operation. I was asking about fish processing at the time.

Are those those the same people that own Coastal Kitchen Cafe? The place right on the 90 deg. curve, Wild Coast Wilderness Resort?
Not sure if they own the cafe or motel, but 90% sure they bought out trailhead, the pub food went to poop since the new ownership IMO

Are those those the same people that own Coastal Kitchen Cafe? The place right on the 90 deg. curve, Wild Coast Wilderness Resort?
Yes same people. I stayed there last year. Was a decent experience. Went out from Port Renfrew and had to motor up to near Bamfield to fish Chinook (went early July 2022). Renfrew is a great spot - it's a pity the DFO has handcuffed the place with their restrictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back