2023 Port McNeill, Telegragh Cove Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any Orca out around the Telegraph / Broughtons areas? I kinda try and avoid them while fishing for obvious reasons, but have family coming up who want to catch a few fish, but also get a good thrill out of seeing Orca.

The few times I've been out locally around Blackfish it's been all humpbacks.
Saw half a dozen orca on the backside of Malcolm today

Well the day was bound to come, we had our first day since July 15 without a keeper spring. Tomorrow is another day, the day before was lights out but we'll hope for a better Tomorrow

I can see jumpers off ledge point from my back yard (with binocs that is) and the guy in the red boat just gave up on them. Must be dinner time.

We've been at Fife and Wells on the mainland side - there's a few coho around 7-10 lbs [which we can keep], a few pinks, and pretty slow for springs. Sounds like James Pt is not producing up to its usual standards. We did pick up a 25 lb spring in Fife yesterday. Still hoping for halibut on these slow tides.

Jan's 25 spring.jpg

We've been at Fife and Wells on the mainland side - there's a few coho around 7-10 lbs [which we can keep], a few pinks, and pretty slow for springs. Sounds like James Pt is not producing up to its usual standards. We did pick up a 25 lb spring in Fife yesterday. Still hoping for halibut on these slow tides.

View attachment 96891
Is Debbie there this year??

Good couple of days in Fife - not lots of fish, but an 18 lb halibut and a 12 lb spring this morning, the 25 lb spring I posted yesterday and a 27 caught about 2 hours ago -- those slow tides are working out.

Earlier advice from Riverboy is good. Also consider the top of Malcolm - I've caught halibut in 120-150' from the Kelp Patch over toward Malcolm Pt. Around the point and along to Bere Pt and towards Black Bluff.

View attachment 96947
there’s an area backside of Malcolm we called “ the slide” we used to fish out from it in close to 300 feet of water. nothing of size but decent amounts of chickens

there’s an area backside of Malcolm we called “ the slide” we used to fish out from it in close to 300 feet of water. nothing of size but decent amounts of chickens
I've caught halibut in ~150' of water between Donegal Head and Lizard Pt -- the slide is about half way between.

Fair number of coho at Fife yesterday. Seemed like they’re in see food eat food mode - plugs, spoons, hoochie all got coho. Sporadic and unpredictable as usual- double headers in 300ft of water, bites close to structure in 50-80ft. Nice spread out handful of boats with flashers up regularly.

Spooled myself while running between spots though… flasher somehow jumped ship at 20 knots (a little fast for buck tailing- I know… lol). All I heard was “snap” at the arbor knot. Lucky that’s all the broke / went overboard.

And no prawns in the usual spots around Echo bay- what the heck!

I'm the last person to give halibut advice but the kids found success a couple of time jigging in 280 ft off the backside of Malcom earlier this spring. And a couple of chickens salmon trolling this summer, both were actually well off the bottom and in less than 120 ft of water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back