2023 Port McNeill, Telegragh Cove Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fish George and Numas Bank north side of Malcolm east of Numas Island is you are specifically wanting to target halibut. Herring on a spreader bar or white grub jigs work well as do pink heads with the stomach attached with a circle hook through the head.

How is the salmon bite out there lately? Probably will have 1 day this weekend to get out there, and trying to decide between Malcolm or up Fife/Cramer area

The mainland and Cramer have been hit and miss. Still the odd spring at Malcolm but let's face it, Leo wants to go fish lingcod So you know where your going

How is the salmon bite out there lately? Probably will have 1 day this weekend to get out there, and trying to decide between Malcolm or up Fife/Cramer area

The mainland and Cramer have been hit and miss. Still the odd spring at Malcolm but let's face it, Leo wants to go fish lingcod So you know where your going
You are so right. I make my fancy salmon plans but yes I know by 9am the downriggers will be up and the kids will be throwing gear at the rockpiles.

Any reports from the weekend?

I'll be coming back Sept 16 for 10 days or so - hoping for some big coho, the odd spring and hopefully a halibut when we get to the good tides.

The one day I had to fish was shut down by the wind. Highlight for us was watching a big group of Pacific white sided dolphins playing with a group of 4 northern residents out in front of TC. Then taking the kids up to Alder Bay to get poutine at Roxy's.

Still decent spring fishing, we landed 2 yesterday and lost what I'm sure was a dandy when the wind caught us and my line went slack. A few decent coho showing up and I heard the mainland passes are heating up with coho also. Another week and it should be epic

The one day I had to fish was shut down by the wind. Highlight for us was watching a big group of Pacific white sided dolphins playing with a group of 4 northern residents out in front of TC. Then taking the kids up to Alder Bay to get poutine at Roxy's.
Saw that same thing in Wells Passage in late August --- but at a distance in the mist. Orcas travelled with the dolphins at least a mile and out of sight into the mist, and we didn't know if they were residents playing or transients hunting.

Still decent spring fishing, we landed 2 yesterday and lost what I'm sure was a dandy when the wind caught us and my line went slack. A few decent coho showing up and I heard the mainland passes are heating up with coho also. Another week and it should be epic
5 more days and I'll be able to tell you 😉 can hardly wait.

5 more days and I'll be able to tell you 😉 can hardly wait.
Well as of a couple days ago things have slowed way down. Maybe 5 days from now the coho may be over by your island but there few and far betwèen now. Im out of here on thursday its been a hell of a 4 1/2 months here and im already looking forward to coming back. A new boat is in my future and Im looking forward to that too.

We just finished 10 days in the Broughtons - we didn't fish on the Vancouver Island side or at Malcolm this time. Coho fishing was slow but they were around - 6 to 10 lbs for us. No springs, and our brief halibut efforts didn't pay off at our best spot. The big SE [45 to 55 knot winds] came in just in time for the best tides, and put an end to halibut fishing. We were holed up for a few days at the end - lots of Bailey's and coffee for the crew.

Plenty of humpback action, especially at Weynton Passage and at the mouth of Fife - which makes my daughter happy - she'll reel up a fish, but she's in it for the tail shots!

I continue to love this area - a nice balance of fishing, wildlife, decent services and water conditions [my daughter doesn't do well in swells] - and a much wilder feeling than Georgia Strait!

[Late edit: - the increase in the sea otter population is remarkable - we'd see the odd one 5-10 years ago; half a dozen in 2018; 25-30 at a time the past few years. The locals are starting to blame them for a drop off in crabbing success.]

Last edited:
A big shout out to Progressive Diesel in Port McNeill for prompt and excellent service this summer, and a number of times over 22 years. This year we were losing oil into the bilge and they were able to see us within 2 hours of our call, and an hour after we limped into McNeill on the kicker. Problem identified and solved in short order, with no major damage.

Manager Chris, Service Manager Steve and Mechanic Wayne were all friendly and straightforward to deal with. I'll be going back.

Hey all - thinking ahead to next year. Hoping to spend a week or two up in this area next season, home based out of my in-laws in Port McNeill. I will be fishing out of a 17' Arima, so not running off shore. I am wondering when the best window for early-ish season (like May/June?) might be? Looking back through the reports from this year around then seems like bottom fishing would be the most likely pursuit, which is something I hope to learn next year. Most of my ocean experience is trolling for Salmon. But coming up a little earlier in the season and chasing some chicken halibuts seems fun to me. The reason I am thinking earlier is that come August I have a trip booked to Esperanza already, and the fishing here in Nanaimo is pretty consistent by then too. So looking to fill out the earlier part of the season - advice on timing appreciated. I realize there are no guarantees on weather, but general trends of most consistent combo of fishable weather and decent catches is what I'm looking for. Anything to factor into my plans re commercial fishing activity as well?

seeing as salmon is most likely going to be closed , your main quarry will be halibut. I’ve caught them all over the place; as close as Ledge Point, to the lighthouse on the north of Malcolm Island, Lady Ellen Point, backside of Malcolm in an area we call “ the slide “ ( look for the large bank given away) and Mitchell Bay. there is lings in and around Weynton passage but watch the RCA in the area ( also one out by Numas Islands backside of Malcolm.

Coho are generally open June 1 in area 12 - 1 hatchery/1 wild. August 1 it switches to only hatchery, except on the mainland side. They don't generally show up much until July.

Springs have been closed until July 14, and then have an upper size limit of 80 cm until Aug 16 when the upper limit comes off.

We have been going once in the second half of July - and releasing some nice springs. We make a second trip after August 16, and try to catch the ones we released in July. Last summer we got a 25 and a 27 in August - almost as good as what what we released in July. Coho both trips.

Last edited:
seeing as salmon is most likely going to be closed , your main quarry will be halibut. I’ve caught them all over the place; as close as Ledge Point, to the lighthouse on the north of Malcolm Island, Lady Ellen Point, backside of Malcolm in an area we call “ the slide “ ( look for the large bank given away) and Mitchell Bay. there is lings in and around Weynton passage but watch the RCA in the area ( also one out by Numas Islands backside of Malcolm.
Any preference for month between May and June?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back