Status
Not open for further replies.
Observed lots of what appear to be sockeye at 50 feet all around Barkley over past week. Water is still pretty cold in the inlet to promote the fish into schooling and holding. Usually we don't see the water conditions change until closer to fathers day - should see them slow down and start schooling up - that's when we can catch them.

I always love the late May reports of fish schooling up in Nahmint and people catching them. I have been there too many eager times to find I’m the only one there and …. not a sniff of a sockeye to be found. Fingers crossed for a decent run and some schooling behaviour by mid June.

I always love the late May reports of fish schooling up in Nahmint and people catching them. I have been there too many eager times to find I’m the only one there and …. not a sniff of a sockeye to be found. Fingers crossed for a decent run and some schooling behaviour by mid June.
Im usually doing the same thing lol

Trying to get there for a morning prior to continuing to Ukee. Much rather have 4 sox than runty Cohoes to go with any springs I find out west. Need to get there prior to 18th to make it work.

has anyone ever towed a boat through the horne lake logging roads to get to PA?

First: Mosaic has guards at the gates both ends.
You WILL NOT be allowed to pass.
Period.

Second: If you like your boat, DO NOT ATTEMPT THAT!
Even if they open it up (extremely doubtful) there are a lot of very rough sections.

Used to run it all the time before the timber companies went trigger happy on placing gates all over the place...

Nog

First: Mosaic has guards at the gates both ends.
You WILL NOT be allowed to pass.
Period.

Second: If you like your boat, DO NOT ATTEMPT THAT!
Even if they open it up (extremely doubtful) there are a lot of very rough sections.

Used to run it all the time before the timber companies went trigger happy on placing gates all over the place...

Nog
Thanks for the heads up!

Anymore reports driving through youbou and bamfield then?
Don't do it unless you want to wash your boat for 2 weeks. "essential only" they say. My boys on the Eastside have been having a good time catching squid. 900' of water with lines around 600'? Everybody likes calamari (even the wife that won't touch shellfish). Not a bad way to pass the time on the east side. We'll leave you some fish over here!

Welp sounds like it's "locals weekend" for sox fishing in port. Fitting because it seems like opening weekend? Not sure of anywhere else I'd rather be "stuck". See ya on channel 69 at Nahmint. Just got the gear together, legs (on the outboard) waxed, bottom paint, moorage all sorted over the last week. Looks like August at the dock with the algae, yikes. See ya fellas out there.

Pic of the tackle cave ready to rip
PXL_20230609_011951602.jpg

Category(s):
COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Gill Net
Subject:
FN0547-COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Gill Net - Sockeye - Barkley Sound and Lower Alberni Inlet - Subareas 23-3, 23-4, 23-5, and 23-6 - Opening - June 13, 2023

This notice announces the opening of the commercial Sockeye Salmon fishery for gill nets in Area 23.

Effective for 14:00 hours from 06:00 hours to 20:00 hours June 13, 2023, gill nets open for Sockeye Salmon in the following Subareas:

Subarea 23-3, excluding Uchucklesit Inlet inside or westerly of a line between Burrough Point at 48 degrees 58.648'N and 124 degrees 59.613'W, and Brooksby Point at 48 degrees 58.851'N and 124 degrees 59.093'W; and excluding San Mateo Bay inside or easterly of a line between Hissin Point at 48 degrees 57.450'N and 124 degrees 59.310'W and Bernard Point at 48 degrees 56.838'N and 125 degrees 00.145'W;

Subarea 23-4, excluding Numukamis Bay inside or easterly of a line between points at 48 degrees 53.000'N and 125 degrees 03.153'W, approximately 0.12 nautical miles west of the entrance to Poett Nook, and 48 degrees 55.240'N and 125 degrees 01.192'W approximately 0.26 nautical miles east of Congreve Island; and excluding Rainy Bay inside or northerly of a line between points at 48 degrees 58.110'N and 125 degrees 02.935'W and 48 degrees 58.100'N and 125 degrees 01.350'W;

Subarea 23-5; and

Subarea 23-6, excluding Effingham Inlet inside or northerly of a line between points at 48 degrees 59.358'N and 125 degrees 10.783'W and 48 degrees 58.958'N and 125 degrees 11.355'W.

The target species is Sockeye Salmon. Incidentally caught Chinook Salmon may be retained. Coho and Steelhead may not be retained.

Minimum mesh size 100 mm, maximum depth 90 meshes, maximum hang ratio 3:1, and corkline to web distance minimum 0 cm, maximum 2 m. Six strands Alaska-twist web, conventional multi-strand web, or a combination of the two may be used.

Variation Order No. 23-SAL-23-GN-01 in effect.

There will be no additional fishing time this week.

Gillnet vessel masters are requested to be fully provisioned (e.g. fuel and food) before traveling to Barkley Sound in order to alleviate local supply constraints due to the Highway 4 closure.

The seine test-fishing vessel commenced operations June 5. Test-fishing information is available after June 8. Test-set information will be available on the internet at:

On April 24, 2023 DFO staff met with the Area 23 Harvest Committee to discuss fishery planning for Area 23 Somass Sockeye. The attendees at this meeting were representatives from the Hupacasath and Tseshaht First Nations, Maa-nulth First Nations, and stakeholders from the commercial gillnet and seine fisheries, and the Alberni Valley Sport Fishing Advisory Committee. Based on science advice, a Somass Sockeye pre-season management forecast of 500,000 was adopted. At this run size fisheries are expected for all sectors this season.

The Somass Sockeye in-season stock assessment program will be in place in 2023. This program collects escapement, test fishing, catch and environmental information on a weekly basis. The first in-season reforecast will occur on June 22, 2023, and a reforecast will be made every Thursday thereafter for the duration of the season. This may lead to in-season management changes if conditions warrant.

Please note the following Area 23 specific licence condition being continued for 2023: In order to avoid collisions with gill nets by transiting vessels, four (4) additional buoys (floats) that are white or yellow in colour and at least 60 cm in circumference must be attached to the gill net equidistantly between the buoy(s) marking either end of the gill net. Please refer to your 2023/2024 conditions of licence for complete requirements.

Does anyone bounce bottom at Nahmint bay? I imagine it's sandy. Dragged bottom with swimbaits off the cannonball at French Creek last month and it was highly effective. Might give it a try tomorrow at nahmint after fishing for sox...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back