Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the annual pass as well which is great except for days like saturday when the lot is packed and you have to park illegally and hope your trailer is still there when you get back.

Thanks for the tip. I didn't know that pass existed. I will buy one for sure. Saturday was crazy in the lot.

Best washdown station on island and agree. The only thing I wish was the ramp was a bit steeper for loading. Not a fan of putting my truck tires in salt there. Only thing dont like.
I usually run to the wash down after launching to rinse the truck and trailer quickly

Best washdown station on island and agree. The only thing I wish was the ramp was a bit steeper for loading. Not a fan of putting my truck tires in salt there. Only thing dont like.
If you use the launch to the right (looking at the water) it’s significantly steeper and you won’t have to put your truck in the water. The ramp closer to the cleaning station isn’t steep enough.

If you use the launch to the right (looking at the water) it’s significantly steeper and you won’t have to put your truck in the water. The ramp closer to the cleaning station isn’t steep enough.
Shhhh... Don't tell everyone that. The good side is usually less busy as people use the one closer to the end of the channel; at least I guess that's the reason people use that side.

Gave it another go this morning. Lines in the water 7am-11:30am or so. Pretty slow for me - a couple decent feeling fish that got off before I got a look at them, a bunch of shakers, and one nice wild Coho brought to the boat and released. Super calm until 11 or so, which jives with the forecast. Maybe 10 other boats out there, didn't see any nets out but I was staying away from the pack. Started at Fingers, then trolled up past Piper's and Neck Point. Everyone seemed to be moving around quite a bit, as was I. In my case, trying to find the fish or the bait. Can't speak for the success of the other boats!

Howdy from Mill Bay - I've never fished in the Nanaimo area before and am considering coming up this Friday. I've got a 17ft Arima with a fish finder but without a downrigger (I'm about to throw in the towel and get a downrigger this winter, line weight fishing has just been too challenging to get it deep let alone know what frigg'n depth I'm at). Anyways, do you guys have recommendations on where I might have at least some luck on Friday getting salmon with line weights and flasher/hoochies/spoons?

You'll typically hear of 2 places referenced on this thread for salmon in Nanaimo: the five fingers and entrance. Both are an easy trip out of Brechin although the fingers are technically closer. Both areas are still holding fish but I'm not sure you're going to have a range of options available for you to fish deep with weighted line. Downriggers that'll get your down to 200' quickly here are a huge asset.

Good luck!!

I predict you're going to get blown off the water. The morning forecast looks light, but it's been blowing for 3 or 4 days now and I'd imagine the straight is probably pretty whipped up by now. Currently blowing over 20 knots at Entrance. This wind sucks butt and I see there are significant rains coming in the near future. I think the fish are going to start ripping up rivers.

I predict you're going to get blown off the water. The morning forecast looks light, but it's been blowing for 3 or 4 days now and I'd imagine the straight is probably pretty whipped up by now. Currently blowing over 20 knots at Entrance. This wind sucks butt and I see there are significant rains coming in the near future. I think the fish are going to start ripping up rivers.

Oh - are the wind reports not typically reliable for the Nanaimo area? windfinder.com shows Entrance Island:
2 knots Friday 8am
4 knots Friday 11am
6 knots Friday 2pm
5 knots Friday 5pm

Oh - are the wind reports not typically reliable for the Nanaimo area? windfinder.com shows Entrance Island:
2 knots Friday 8am
4 knots Friday 11am
6 knots Friday 2pm
5 knots Friday 5pm
Buoyweather concurs.

I’m probably going for my last fish before the boat comes out as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0495.png
    IMG_0495.png
    93.7 KB · Views: 11
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back