2022 Tuna Adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, you don’t need to go to to the Baja. We are getting a little crowded now
That’s the truth, 21 years of spending winters down there, seen some serious change. Hasn’t affected the fishing though and still piles of open space if you go look for it. Headed down early December, can’t wait!

Hey Guy's

I am thinking about making a run out for tuna out of Winter Harbour on Sunday or Monday as the wind looks like it might co-operate. I was looking at the satellite photos and there seems to be warm water to south but it doesn't look like its 61-62deg water looks a little cooler 60.2-60.6. Is it too late for tuna has the warm water moved off too far? What do you guy's think of the satellite photos these days?

CPM

Hey Guy's

I am thinking about making a run out for tuna out of Winter Harbour on Sunday or Monday as the wind looks like it might co-operate. I was looking at the satellite photos and there seems to be warm water to south but it doesn't look like its 61-62deg water looks a little cooler 60.2-60.6. Is it too late for tuna has the warm water moved off too far? What do you guy's think of the satellite photos these days?

CPM
We were getting our tuna this year in 57deg water And thick!
dont get hung up on the 62 degree water temps!

Last edited:
I believe there is still good tuna off Washington coast.. I follow some of the local charters since I fish Westport too
They still have good water conditions that weren't swirled into califlower branches

I found that the chloro break is just as important if not more so than the temp break. Ideally you want both to line up. Yes, you can get tuna in the green water, but usually need a sharp chloro break with blue water nearby. Last week we had to run over plenty of warm (green) water to get to the blue water to start fishing.

Unfortunately as @kelly mentioned the water has "broken down" and the tuna have moved on over the past several days. Talked to a commercial guy on Friday and he said that the the catches from Washington to BC went way down and most boats were packing it in for the season. Maybe the water improves and the tuna move back, but time is running out.

That's not much of a chloro break in your image above. Ideally you want it even darker as close as possible to the green, like in the 0.16 - 0.40 range. Also, you want the blue water to be contiguous with water further offshore - no skinny fingers or isolated pockets.

If you look at the VI regional shot, you can see there is not really a good break anywhere. That one patch around N48 30; W127 00 looks somewhat better, but unfortunately there is a patch of green water further offshore means it is not connected to the blue tuna water.

You never know, you might find some if you head out, but I'd also be prepared for a long boat ride.

Hey Guy's

CPM
Just back from WH, Saturday, sorry for the late post. We had the opportunity to fish with Redman 210 along side of us, as well as Lil’Miss. left the dock 5:45 and chugged out slowly till daylite, then got up on step to arrive at the grounds by 8 am. Everything set up we deployed the 4 hand lines, and 5 rods just north of the bowling pin by 5 miles. ( 22 nm off Cain’s). 7 min in, hook up….. double, triple!!! On the radio to buddy boats, nothing for any of them yet. 3 min later another double. I radioed Redman, …. Nothing yet…. 20 min goes by…… Redman radios saying all cherries popped!! ;). At this point we were all jumping for joy for Ron and his crew as we took them under our wing having never done a tuna shot prior. The day played on, we went through a 2 hour lul, but Redman kept hooking up! So happy they learned quick and put 35 longfins in the slush by 2pm. Back to the dock and loomed tuna till midnight. Ha ha ha. We only ended up with 16, and Lil’Miss had 25. 🤷‍♂️ Tuesday morning off the dock in the dark again, Oli and crew went to our coordinants from Monday, and we went south by 5 miles, and 5 miles further! Hit 61 degrees ( simrad temp) deployed as we had a 2 degree spike within 1.5 miles, and hooked up double in first 5 min. Another single before we got the first 2 in. Hour and a half dry spell once again….. then hook up, double, passed back through the same spot.. quad banger!! Pulled a PIPPIN move and dumped 3 bags of Hawkins over board… and game on. Tached back and forth over our mark and scratched up 25 for the day. Oli was high boat (as usual) at 27, an absolute blast and all the buddy boats were so helpful and working as a team. Can’t wait for next year!

So having said that Party Marty, I just looked at terrifin, I would go for sure at this point. And as of today, this is the spot!! Good luck, be safe, and report back. Tight Lines.

Attachments

• B7E80CF4-F00D-4E71-8EBE-7FF905A308FC.png
    B7E80CF4-F00D-4E71-8EBE-7FF905A308FC.png
    350.2 KB · Views: 128
Heading out tomorrow 6am-ish out of Ucluelet. Seems like there's a chance around 48*30', -126*30' as per SST and chlor charts. Will monitor VHF 78A (Anatoly), if anyone wants to buddy up.

Attachments

• AA7F4B5A-964D-4287-A0D6-D0A372779B9F.png
    AA7F4B5A-964D-4287-A0D6-D0A372779B9F.png
    442.8 KB · Views: 55
  • B9140582-EB0F-4CCA-A129-3A8B70FA18D8.png
    B9140582-EB0F-4CCA-A129-3A8B70FA18D8.png
    522.6 KB · Views: 54
Heading out tomorrow 6am-ish out of Ucluelet. Seems like there's a chance around 48*30', -126*30' as per SST and chlor charts. Will monitor VHF 78A (Anatoly), if anyone wants to buddy up.
Edit - I am on channel 68

Thanks to Jerry and all those that put on a great tournament for the Bamfield shootout.

From the first night meet and greet you could tell it was going to be a great time. They had lots of great food and plenty of refreshments.

This was our first time in the derby and we were very impressed with the amount of people that came up to us and welcomed us and gave all kinds of advice.

We received many offers to join them for the trip out in the morning and to share information on the radio.

We have fished Tuna out of Nootka many times with no one sharing info like that.

We left at 0315 Saturday morning and once we got out of the harbor we had the moon as a guiding light all the way out.

We waited until we hit 61 degrees and then you could see all kinds of jumpers. Out the gear went and within seconds fish on.

It was a great day and we finished at 1530 with the coolers full and headed for Bamfield.

The next two days were spent cleaning fish and the boat as it was to rough to go offshore.

The weather changed and it was very nice the last four days.

Thanks to my crew for sticking it out as I had to leave to attend my retirement party in Nanaimo after 33 years as a Paramedic.

The Water Walker crew of Brigham, Dave and Dwayne got the job done winning the tournament by less than a pound.

Congratulations to all the other boats and crew.

F7416BAD-523B-4935-9F37-7F47FDC67D7E.jpeg

F83F0389-22A1-4A6A-AD44-FF5F7E0F563B.jpeg

Thanks to Jerry and all those that put on a great tournament for the Bamfield shootout.

From the first night meet and greet you could tell it was going to be a great time. They had lots of great food and plenty of refreshments.

This was our first time in the derby and we were very impressed with the amount of people that came up to us and welcomed us and gave all kinds of advice.

We received many offers to join them for the trip out in the morning and to share information on the radio.

We have fished Tuna out of Nootka many times with no one sharing info like that.

We left at 0315 Saturday morning and once we got out of the harbor we had the moon as a guiding light all the way out.

We waited until we hit 61 degrees and then you could see all kinds of jumpers. Out the gear went and within seconds fish on.

It was a great day and we finished at 1530 with the coolers full and headed for Bamfield.

The next two days were spent cleaning fish and the boat as it was to rough to go offshore.

The weather changed and it was very nice the last four days.

Thanks to my crew for sticking it out as I had to leave to attend my retirement party in Nanaimo after 33 years as a Paramedic.

The Water Walker crew of Brigham, Dave and Dwayne got the job done winning the tournament by less than a pound.

Congratulations to all the other boats and crew.
Nice work. What boat were you in? Glad to hear about the continued success of the Bam tourney!

I have a feeling that we will be coming up for whichever tuna event happens next year. It would be nice to not use up 10 days of leave though. How long is the bamfield one?

I have a feeling that we will be coming up for whichever tuna event happens next year. It would be nice to not use up 10 days of leave though. How long is the bamfield one?
The Bamfield Tuna Shootout runs the same time as the (what used to be) Tofino derby. Friday start (probably check-in and captains' meeting) and then from Saturday to Saturday.

Just FYI, accommodations might be trickier in Bamfield as there are less Air BnB's / VRBO's and Bamfield is more spread out along the water. Mills Landing is tuna central (salt ice, weigh in, etc.) and is on the side of Bamfield you can't (easily) drive to. That's the "busier" side though, and with more places to stay and most places have their own dock. Limited dining out options. Also, the tuna are an extra 10 - 15 mile run from Bamfield if running to Loudon Canyon and further if they are further north.

Barkley Sound is beautiful - very different from Clayquot Sound scenery wise. I'm not knocking Bamfield at all, it is a great place and if you can make it work you'll have a great time. Picture Tofino rolled back in time 30 - 40 years before all the surfers and resorts showed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back