2022 Port Alberni and Alberni Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well anyone still catching any fish in the inlet after the commercial guys had their fun. Heading up tomorrow for the derby just seeing if there’s anything left?
Yeah I went out before work today. So many logs out between polly and lone tree. Look out. Had 3 fish pop the clip and lost them. Got a mid teens fish in the boat and literally right after I bonked it the other rod started going off with a good fight but that fish spat the hook once it got to the surface. Pretty fun.
Tried fishing a tomic tubby behind a dummy flasher off the ball for about an hr and no luck so I switched to the good ole white hootchie to getter done.
Big squad of people fishing between polly and lone tree. I tucked in there to check it out and got nothing so went and fished the wall between lone tree and china and had a good time.
Tight lines and watch for the logs! I could barely make it out of fishermans harbor this morning without hitting a log. It's the worst I've seen it this year. Keep your ears on the radio this weekend we might need to assist people.

Yeah I went out before work today. So many logs out between polly and lone tree. Look out. Had 3 fish pop the clip and lost them. Got a mid teens fish in the boat and literally right after I bonked it the other rod started going off with a good fight but that fish spat the hook once it got to the surface. Pretty fun.
Tried fishing a tomic tubby behind a dummy flasher off the ball for about an hr and no luck so I switched to the good ole white hootchie to getter done.
Big squad of people fishing between polly and lone tree. I tucked in there to check it out and got nothing so went and fished the wall between lone tree and china and had a good time.
Tight lines and watch for the logs! I could barely make it out of fishermans harbor this morning without hitting a log. It's the worst I've seen it this year. Keep your ears on the radio this weekend we might need to assist people.
Thanks for the report. Sounds promising. White hootchi always gets em. We’re launching from china but I’ll keep a eye out for logs.
Thanks again

We were at China creek on the 21st, 22,23 and left the morning of the 24th. did not fish on arrival day, and just 2 hours on the 24th. We took home 6 springs, the biggest 21 lbs.
glow white rhys davis anchovie special caught the most fish. no flasher, 49' deep.

Cousin limited out in a hour yesterday fished 6:30-7:30 and 4 springs

Attachments

• JWXP6159[1].JPG
    JWXP6159[1].JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 144
Any word or reports from the derby, haven’t heard anything regarding. Must have been nice this year with what seemed like good fishing leading up to, good weather and no Covid restrictions to ruin it .

Any word or reports from the derby, haven’t heard anything regarding. Must have been nice this year with what seemed like good fishing leading up to, good weather and no Covid restrictions to ruin it .
I think a 14 year old won it. I don't know the details, though.

How has it been out there? Heading out tomorrow from town and wondering if I should stop at Franklin or wherever out on my way to pill/diplock/assists area. Will target nookie, hos, lingcod. Just hoping to get some fish in the boat with some family.

Just a general question here for those familiar with the inlet and Barkley sound. I’m looking to do a little fishing trip with my dad first week of march. We live on the Vancouver side, fish all winter etc. - looking to do something different from our usual spots in Howe sound and so on. Is there a good fishery in the inlet and up to Barkley sound in early March? Just wondering if it’s worth spending a couple nights at China creek or if we should look else where, Gulf islands or something.

Cheers

Just a general question here for those familiar with the inlet and Barkley sound. I’m looking to do a little fishing trip with my dad first week of march. We live on the Vancouver side, fish all winter etc. - looking to do something different from our usual spots in Howe sound and so on. Is there a good fishery in the inlet and up to Barkley sound in early March? Just wondering if it’s worth spending a couple nights at China creek or if we should look else where, Gulf islands or something.

Cheers
If you're looking for something different to do with your dad, I think there's nothing cooler than witnessing the herring spawn on the east side from Comox down to Nanoose. Good winter chinook fishing as well around there. Getting the timing right for herring spawn can be tough cause its a small window, but theres some facebook pages that track the spawning progress. That being said, Barkley sound is always a good bet. I don't have a ton of experience fishing it but I have caught chinook all year round in Barkley sound. I typically only fish the canal June-September. McKay Bay lodge is a nice place to stay in Bamfield. Moorage/food/accommodation - everything rolled into one nightly rate, it's a good deal, and cozy place.

If you're looking for something different to do with your dad, I think there's nothing cooler than witnessing the herring spawn on the east side from Comox down to Nanoose. Good winter chinook fishing as well around there. Getting the timing right for herring spawn can be tough cause its a small window, but theres some facebook pages that track the spawning progress. That being said, Barkley sound is always a good bet. I don't have a ton of experience fishing it but I have caught chinook all year round in Barkley sound. I typically only fish the canal June-September. McKay Bay lodge is a nice place to stay in Bamfield. Moorage/food/accommodation - everything rolled into one nightly rate, it's a good deal, and cozy place.
Thanks for the feed back. Ok good to know about Mackay bay. I stayed there last may for a fishing trip, had that in the back of my mind for march as well.

Cheers
Feeders around Barkley sound that time of year, usually nothing big, under 10lbs, but always a few bigger one get caught, lots of shakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back