2022 Port Alberni and Alberni Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone drive to Bamfield in last week? Any conditions would be greatly appreciated.
Apparently the detour adds quite a bit of time to the drive. Fairly rough conditions right now but if you take it slow you'll be fine.

Entertaining morning at Franklin today. Drove the hump and got in just before the ramp queue formed. Turned plotter to Night Mode and proceeded to knock Scotty button post off with my right knee sending coffee spilling throughout cockpit. Tenth note to self - move that drink holder; it always gets knocked off. Not a good start.

Got to Franklin in good time. However, dodging car toppers in the pitch black going out with no lights made it quite interesting. Lost a fish on a plug 10 minutes in. No worries. Second rod has the magic white hootchie on it. 2 minutes later, guy literally goes perpendicular to boats, missing my helm by maybe 10'. He hits a fish just as he passes and it comes straight at us. Only thing we could do was try to bring up our lines. Too late, his fish goes across my free line, doubles back down across the downriver line...there goes the magic white hootchie...choice words for his driving prowess...

Caught a couple of teens at 70'. One on plug and one on anchovy. Lost another good runner when a rod was handed off.

Ears perked up when a twosome beside us yelled to his buddy in the next boat, " We've 10 in the boat and played 18 in total"...you do the math.

Big shout out to every boater out there who saw my son hook and land his best size to date. My wife who out fishes me every time picked up a rather pretty hootchie, clear UV with pink striping. Put it out she says. What could we lose? It gets hammered with 2 minutes and runs, and runs, and runs. We all thought it was sealed. He got all the way down to the backing before it started to slow. Meanwhile, every single boat in it path saw this run and kept peeling off and giving it space. We turn out and started to get back line. Off it went again and still more great driving from everyone around. We finally got it within sight and even then it pulled off, straight to a tinny who immediately powered away.

Eventually landed something very near, if not Tyee size. 29 on my boat's scale and 28 when measured on the scale at Clutesi 2 hours later. Just an epic fight that he will remember fo some time.

Thanks again to all those that were courteous and respectful on the water; it made for a great ending.
Great report. Sorry to hear of the driver who was clueless. Always bizarre how people don't notice the direction & pattern other boats are travelling. Fantastic finish with that huge spring! Congrats!

Drove back from Bamfield last week towing an 18 ft boat. The road was mostly decent but as always some really crappy sections. Take those parts slowly and you'll be fine. Can't see the project being completed for at least another couple years.
And yes fishn was good!! Limits of springs and coho, all on spoons and hoochies. Structure or not , all the usual spots. 30 - 50 ft on the dr.

Wondering how the fishing was this weekend around China Creek. I was out fryday, not even a nibble.
Thinking of going this week.

Are those fish boats I see in the harbour. Little hard to tell the bigwavedave camera is a little blurry.

Pretty sure theirs a native opening Tuesday for 24 hours for the natives in Port. Not sure if it's a food fish or what

Reactions: MRW
Hopefully they leave some for the derby. Last year was terrible for us. Heading in Thursday evening probably fish pill or assits if the harbour is cleaned out.

Well anyone still catching any fish in the inlet after the commercial guys had their fun. Heading up tomorrow for the derby just seeing if there’s anything left?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back