2022 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who"s Pumped for their Nootka trip this year?? 161 days for our first trip. Got this off YouTube. Not mine, maybe the guys are on the site. Great video to help get us thru the next 5 months.

Last edited:
Never been up to Nootka before but I am considering it this summer. How are the roads to trailer in boats ? A few gravel roads I assume. Thanks

Never been up to Nootka before but I am considering it this summer. How are the roads to trailer in boats ? A few gravel roads I assume. Thanks
Depends where you plan to stay and what your plan is to get there. If you launch in Gold River and plan to leave your tow vehicle and trailer at the launch there, you will not have to deal with any gravel at all. The launch has good secure parking for a price of course. If you plan to go to Moutcha or Tahsis, then you're going to deal with some ugliness by way of gravel, dust, steep hills logging trucks and soiled underwear. Its doable but be prepared with lots of extra equipment and respect the logging trucks. The best way to do it is launch in Gold River. Just one mans view.

Depends where you plan to stay and what your plan is to get there. If you launch in Gold River and plan to leave your tow vehicle and trailer at the launch there, you will not have to deal with any gravel at all. The launch has good secure parking for a price of course. If you plan to go to Moutcha or Tahsis, then you're going to deal with some ugliness by way of gravel, dust, steep hills logging trucks and soiled underwear. Its doable but be prepared with lots of extra equipment and respect the logging trucks. The best way to do it is launch in Gold River. Just one mans view.
Thanks for that. I will look more into it. At first look I was considering fishing the south side. I'm only interested in fishing the beach not offshore so was looking like there was a lot of ground around there.

I'll second pescador's comment. Gold River is way easier. I'd use it and boat around to where you're staying unless you will be camping and need your vehicle at the campsite. Gravel roads are fine for your vehicle but can be rough on your boat. If you drive be sure to take extra spare tires.

I've fished out of Moutcha a few times over the last 2 seasons and drove in everytime. Towing a 16ft aluminum boat. The road is decent (many logging roads worse than this) but some of the hills and corners can be a washboard. Lost a boat trailer fender one trip. Can be quite dusty if it hasn't rained for a few days. Bought a new bigger boat last year and we're going to boat it from Gold River from now on.

As a year round Tahsis resident, I have towed my boat on the Head Bay FSR multiple times and others who live here, friends and family do the same. Whether you tow or launch in Gold River, I'll put in a plug for fishing out of Tahsis as Nootka, Esperanza and north to Grassy/Clear Passage are all in reach.

As a year round Tahsis resident, I have towed my boat on the Head Bay FSR multiple times and others who live here, friends and family do the same. Whether you tow or launch in Gold River, I'll put in a plug for fishing out of Tahsis as Nootka, Esperanza and north to Grassy/Clear Passage are all in reach.
Any catching going on now, those bullet noses should be going by

87 days until the halibut hustle! Going to brave the weather again this year, diesel heater installed!
I look forward to being at the Halibut Hustle again this year too. Hopefully the weather will be better this year. Will probably see you there.... I think that the reg's should be pretty similar this year to what they were last year over there. That will be the first of 4 trips to Critter for us again this year. Always fun and a very special place to be....

I look forward to being at the Halibut Hustle again this year too. Hopefully the weather will be better this year. Will probably see you there.... I think that the reg's should be pretty similar this year to what they were last year over there. That will be the first of 4 trips to Critter for us again this year. Always fun and a very special place to be....
That’s great, I can not wait we go again end of July for our second trip and I might try for an early July trip also. Love it out there. We are in my hourston so pretty easy to find us

Just got back from 5 days in Tahsis. Had a couple house projects and boat projects to do so that tied up a couple days. Weather was not cooperative for getting much past Rosa. We did a long 1/4-1/3 dive on underwater scooters checking out what we could see.
The next day we could get a further out and got one halibut within 30 minutes of putting our gear down. Fished for a couple more hours and no more action. Then did a dive near Ceepeecee.
Set the prawns traps a couple days and did ok. Have a couple photos under the water.
936B7E88-11C8-412C-8C51-ADFC083404EF.jpeg
A22F7345-02A6-4BF2-B8AB-71A300CFB907.jpeg
D27E0443-DBFD-430F-9E4E-159C1BF661DB.jpeg
271B2403-5D49-4610-837D-5103C780F0DE.jpeg

Just got back from 5 days in Tahsis. Had a couple house projects and boat projects to do so that tied up a couple days. Weather was not cooperative for getting much past Rosa. We did a long 1/4-1/3 dive on underwater scooters checking out what we could see.
The next day we could get a further out and got one halibut within 30 minutes of putting our gear down. Fished for a couple more hours and no more action. Then did a dive near Ceepeecee.
Set the prawns traps a couple days and did ok. Have a couple photos under the water.
View attachment 77964
View attachment 77965
View attachment 77966
View attachment 77967
WOW!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back