I think the commies pounded the Vic waterfront this summer.. I saw them out there a lot, even was yelled at by a prawner caus he wanted to drop his traps where I was hali fishing, and the prawning hasn’t been the same since. They devastated it for everyone else

I think the commies pounded the Vic waterfront this summer.. I saw them out there a lot, even was yelled at by a prawner caus he wanted to drop his traps where I was hali fishing, and the prawning hasn’t been the same since. They devastated it for everyone else
It's the same for most areas. It would be nice if they did a regional rotation for commies. Couldn't be that hard to implement. It would certainly give the harder hit areas a chance to recover.

It's the same for most areas. It would be nice if they did a regional rotation for commies. Couldn't be that hard to implement. It would certainly give the harder hit areas a chance to recover.
same thing happened out in Haro a few years back and the halibut fishing has not been the same since

Spent the beautiful afternoon off OB. Fished the gap for an hour during the slow flood. Nothing for me but I think some of the other boats got a few. Went over to check out Fulford Reef area. Just a little lingcod. Note: the yellow VK marker that marks the NE corner of the RCA appears to be back to the correct coordinates.
Back to the gap for the first bit of the ebb. First pass got a scrappy 10 pounder. Fun on a 7' bass rod.:) AP sandlance spoon over a dummy flasher. Released two more smaller fish within the hour. 3-4 pm.
Gorgeous Sunset!

Left Esquilmalt around 8:15, headed out to my halibut hole. Tide was ripping again, felt like we were in the middle of the Fraser last week. Dropped anchor on the mud flats, and still managed to drag the anchor for about 2-3km at .6 km/hr. Picked up the anchor and reset the anchor at the old stomping grounds. Anchor was on solid ground, reeled in 1 more dog to make it 8 on the day, before we hit our first halibut. 85 cm! Re-set the hook, dropped it down again, and 10 minutes later, same side, same setup, we are hooked up again. 97 cm! both caught on herring. We saw tons of junk in the water.

Fished with my older brother, flatlander, landed his first two halibut.

Attachments

• 93574FA7-E514-42E1-9832-5819A9F4A85C.jpeg
    93574FA7-E514-42E1-9832-5819A9F4A85C.jpeg
    295.4 KB · Views: 186
  • 1C40E2DF-7FD0-4BBE-A47C-F64BE81D6CE7.jpeg
    1C40E2DF-7FD0-4BBE-A47C-F64BE81D6CE7.jpeg
    259.3 KB · Views: 178
  • AB9106B8-D50E-480F-AD6D-F3CADC65E477.jpeg
    AB9106B8-D50E-480F-AD6D-F3CADC65E477.jpeg
    244 KB · Views: 138
Left Esquilmalt around 8:15, headed out to my halibut hole. Tide was ripping again, felt like we were in the middle of the Fraser last week. Dropped anchor on the mud flats, and still managed to drag the anchor for about 2-3km at .6 km/hr. Picked up the anchor and reset the anchor at the old stomping grounds. Anchor was on solid ground, reeled in 1 more dog to make it 8 on the day, before we hit our first halibut. 85 cm! Re-set the hook, dropped it down again, and 10 minutes later, same side, same setup, we are hooked up again. 97 cm! both caught on herring. We saw tons of junk in the water.

Fished with my older brother, flatlander, landed his first two halibut.

NICE TO TO SEE SOME FLATTIES BEING CAUGHT THIS TIME OF YEAR OFF VIC

I need to to make some times and get out before it’s to late.

Thanks for reporting and congrats on your success

Had to work all weekend so went for Hali yesterday just off pedder.

had at least 9 dogs on. No Hali bite for us.

my fishing buddy had some sore arms from reeling in the dogs some of who were the biggest I've seen.

i had my Tanacom 750 and was able to check and reset bait with a flip of my finger..... End of the day my fishing buddy said he is seriously considering getting his own Tanacom

I will be out again later this week before flying off again for work this weekend.

Wasn't going to sit at home today and watch it rain. Launched at the empty parking lot at Cattle Pt. around noon. Rain stopped and it was actually not too bad. Was actually quite pretty. Unfortunately not even a bite today off the gap. Towing around weed 3/4 of the time may have had something to do with it. Lots of wood on the surface to watch out for. Creel survey guy had a pretty slow day.

Went out O.B. about noon. Started a troll heading out along the golf course towards the flats. Lots of bait in this historic hot spot. Out on the flats got 4 Springs of about 3 lbs. on spoons. Not much showing on the sounder out there. Headed over to the gap for the ebb. Black cormorants showed me where the bait was. Definitely some arches hugging the bottom and thick columns of bait, but I didn't catch anything.

Last edited:
I had to work the past few weekends so I headed out today as the winds were supposed to be calm. Had to pick up my kid at 230pm so we were only out for a quick run.

Trolled Waterfront past Saxe point and got a hit at 120 ft but was slow after that.

My fishing buddy decided we should try another spot so we went over to the freighters.

By that time it was near lunch so it was time to try out the MK 2 of my home made BBQ.

Just as we finished a nice hot lunch my fishing buddy tells me something is hitting the starboard rod hard. I saw it moving hard and thought we might have hit bottom... But nope.

This fish popped the clip and peeled line! Fun fight ensued and we landed a nice Chinook. Fish was 25inch or 63cm long.

It hit on an AP tackleworks spoon with a metal dodger.

Attachments

• 20211207_122215_HDR.jpg
    20211207_122215_HDR.jpg
    370.2 KB · Views: 268
  • 20211207_170226_HDR.jpg
    20211207_170226_HDR.jpg
    336.6 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
I had to work the past few weekends so I headed out today as the winds were supposed to be calm. Had to pick up my kid at 230pm so we were only out for a quick run.

Trolled Waterfront past Saxe point and got a hit at 120 ft but was slow after that.

My fishing buddy decided we should try another spot so we went over to the freighters.

By that time it was near lunch so it was time to try out the MK 2 of my home made BBQ.

Just as we finished a nice hot lunch my fishing buddy tells me something is hitting the starboard rod hard. I saw it moving hard and thought we might have hit bottom... But nope.

This fish popped the clip and peeled line! Fun fight ensued and we landed a nice Chinook. Fish was 25inch or 63cm long.

It hit on an AP tackleworks spoon with a metal dodger.
Ingenious BBQ man ! could you please post some picks of the guts!

Back