Was out Tuesday am, had a good fish on at 8:15 am but lost it. very keen fighter which ran three times. had two other bites but both got off.
Wondering if anyone has been fishing at Constance since the freighter fire? Perhaps the area is closed to fishing?

Afternoon fish out of Oak Bay. Dark, gloomy and wet to say the least. Really wanted to try some plugs today. Flats. Put down a 4" 602 after blasting it with my flashlight. As I was putting down the other side, the first rod popped and then pounded, but by the time I got to it the fish was gone. Fished the flats for a while, the other boat got a small one.
Headed over to "the gap" where I got a good one, this day last year. Six other boats, busiest I've seen it there. According to my sounder lots of bait and arches. Nothing for me until I decided to call her a day. Popped the rod off the down rigger and just a few cranks of the reel a fish hit. Good fight with no flasher. Looked like a good one as it rolled at the surface. Definitely not a 4 pounder. As I fumbled with the net, the salmon just seemed to 'let go". Well that sucked.
Crab trap had zero crabs in it. Bait hadn't been touched. Weird.

Another dark and wet day. Hit Oak Bay around noon. Fished the Gap with a few other boats. I released a couple of 3-4lb springs and saw other boats get fish. Lots of weed! By 2:30 I was alone and most of the debris had passed through. 5 minutes before pulling the plug got a good hit and landed a 8'ish lb spring. (28"). Seemed later as it was getting dark.

Cleaning the fish at the launch I got mugged by some seriously desperate seagulls. They were literally bouncing off of me snatching guts as I pulled them out. One bugger stole my knife and flew up onto the look out. Must of been quite comical to viewers.

Attachments

• IMG_20211113_174830.jpg
    IMG_20211113_174830.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Another dark and wet day. Hit Oak Bay around noon. Fished the Gap with a few other boats. I released a couple of 3-4lb springs and saw other boats get fish. Lots of weed! By 2:30 I was alone and most of the debris had passed through. 5 minutes before pulling the plug got a good hit and landed a 8'ish lb spring. (28"). Seemed later as it was getting dark.

Cleaning the fish at the launch I got mugged by some seriously desperate seagulls. They were literally bouncing off of me snatching guts as I pulled them out. One bugger stole my knife and flew up onto the look out. Must of been quite comical to viewers.
I was out crabbing last week and the sea gulls were right on top of me and lower then I've ever seen them. Are they starving or something???

I was out crabbing last week and the sea gulls were right on top of me and lower then I've ever seen them. Are they starving or something???
My guess would be the short days not giving them time to hunt down enough food. Seems to be even darker this year.

My guess would be the short days not giving them time to hunt down enough food. Seems to be even darker this year.
yes, they are starving. We get the same thing when fishing halibut off the waterfront. Not like fishing Renfrew north where they seldom give you a second look and don't even respond when you discard your bait.

yes, they are starving. We get the same thing when fishing halibut off the waterfront. Not like fishing Renfrew north where they seldom give you a second look and don't even respond when you discard your bait.
There's now 76,000,000 kg of sewage per year not going into the water around Victoria. I maintain, until proven otherwise, that will have a noticeable local effect on the lower food chain creatures that salmon and sea birds eat.

Had the same experience two days ago in Van Harbour. Not sure why, but haven't seen such a low flying gull by my bost while I was cooking

Had the day off work so went out off Cattle Pt. I must of read the wrong forecast because it wasn't very pleasant out there with the wind coming from the NE. Promised the dog we wouldn't be out long. Fished the Gap for an hour and a half. Released one wild one of about 4lbs. The seagulls were thankful for my unused crab bait.

Is the fuel dock open at Oak Bay Marina or has all the paddle boarders with jerry cans cleaned it out? I'd feel kind of guilty filling up my boat at the regular gas station right now.

Is the fuel dock open at Oak Bay Marina or has all the paddle boarders with jerry cans cleaned it out? I'd feel kind of guilty filling up my boat at the regular gas station right now.
Apparently they are only serving their moored customers.
pretty tough getting gas these days....

Has anybody out on the water recently noticed any flood related hazards in our area? Thinking of heading out tomorrow.

Stellar day for Halibut today and perfect weather.
250' of water well west of Constance.
LOTS of crap in the water.

Headed out of Esquilmalt at about 8:15, went to my old stomping halibut grounds. Tide was ripping pretty good, managed to drag my anchor for awhile before the current settled down where I was. Not a lot of action for us today, dogs were around, but not too thick, managed to get in 7 of them in about 7 hours of fishing. A bit of junk in the water where we were, but several large logs were spotted, one of which was a large tree with tons of branches sticking out. Maybe give it another go tomorrow.

Back