2021 Tuna Adventures

What or is there a regulation on sail fish? Marlin? Just wondering.

never gonna see a sailfish north of the Baja.

stripers yes , sharkys charters have it if coos bay posted a cool photo of a pack of 7 sunning themselves last week, another boat out of illwaco i believe has video of them fighting one the following day .

DFO doesn't list every species specifically, so I assume marlin would fall in the "Other finfish' category, of which you are allowed 20. Or, if they include them as 'other tuna' you are also allowed 20. https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s24-eng.html

So I guess that means you are allowed to keep 20 bluefin on the Pacific Coast? I assume DFO will address these rare species regulations when they see it being an issue in Washington. Good luck out there!

Thanks it looks like it cuts off just before nootka, what are people using for the north island?
Seaview mobile just launched an app it is only on android currently but it seems to be quite good way more pictures daily I have been using it to check the Charlottes and north island seems to have a great shot

never gonna see a sailfish north of the Baja.

stripers yes , sharkys charters have it if coos bay posted a cool photo of a pack of 7 sunning themselves last week, another boat out of illwaco i believe has video of them fighting one the following day .
Not too sure about that, gear used up here would not keep one on, not enough piano wire leader, bang and gone. Of course the speed has to be way up there 25+mph. But then there is netting one.
Maybe they just need to be fished for? Set gear for one.
Hey, would that win a derby?

Definition of billfish is any fish worth money. Usually applied to marlin, bluefin, sailfish, others (it’s a loose definition)

Not too sure about that, gear used up here would not keep one on, not enough piano wire leader, bang and gone. Of course the speed has to be way up there 25+mph. But then there is netting one.
Maybe they just need to be fished for? Set gear for one.
Hey, would that win a derby?
have you ever fished striped marlin?first off you do not fish wire for marlin ( usually only wahoo) , secondly no one trolls marlin at 25 mph , more like 8.5 - 9kts, thirdly you don’t net blue water pelagics…..

have caught and released 100 plus out of cabo both on chartered boats and on our own private boats, 100 lb Jinkai leaders are standard . have landed them on reels as small as talica16’s . i know forsure two dead confirmed on sport gear out of washington ports , one as recent as two summers ago.

Last edited:
Definition of billfish is any fish worth money. Usually applied to marlin, bluefin, sailfish, others (it’s a loose definition)
billfish would be referring to their bill , only marlin , spearfish, sailfish and broadbills are considered billfish

Had to turn around @60 miles…..too rough and no tuna water. Temp break and chlorophyll moved way off
moving my response to the tuna thread...

That's too bad. We are heading to Bamfield this weekend and going to try and get out if everything stacks up. It looks like the tuna water has been pretty far offshore, I think all high pressure systems that gave us the hot weather this summer have been keeping the warm water from moving in closer to the south island. Hopefully the system coming through Saturday pushes the water in closer.

Looks to be about a 55 mile ride to tuna water based upon yesterday's Terrafin shots. Hopefully it pushes in before the shootout.

a few boats going out for tuna tuesday. update if it happens!! come on in warm water!!

It was tuna time out of Port Eliza Lodge in Esperanza Inlet yesterday. The weather report was for calm winds which was true, but the storm the day before left 3 meter+ seas. We considered turning back a few times, but the favorable wind report convinced us it would get better. It didn't, but we made it out off the Kyuquot Canyon anyhow and started fishing. 20210905_094954.jpg
The 28 foot Pursuit we were in could handle the water. A big thank you to Ron Newland of Newland Sportfishing for taking us out! His 28 foot Pursuit is fully decked out for Tuna with outrigger poles and plenty of gear. Fishing started a bit slow for us. We had a couple of hits, but none in the boat and our companion boat had 7 already. We persevered and heard some Mootcha boats were having some luck 4 miles from us so we trolled in that direction. Our luck changed and we started hitting some tuna! We had a couple of doubleheaders and a triple that we landed. 20210905_151000.jpgThe tuna were not that big, the biggest was 15 lbs but that was OK, we were happy to see some blood on the deck! Our companion boat ended up with 20, we had 11. It was a fun day, but the seas never really went down much until the end of the day so it was tiring!

Last edited:
What do you guys find is the best weather app? Pretty varying forecasts but mostly looks awful and unfishable for the Race for the Blue at this point.

Back