2021 Tuna Adventures

With the permission of SFBC we’d like to dedicate this 2021 Tuna Thread to a well known fisherman, friend to so many of us and just an all round generous guy.

Thomas Kirk aka Smiley

May he look down on us this season and lead us all onto fishy waters and safe travels.

RIP Smiley

Attachments

• 671AE316-1529-4E82-8A10-C982F8FAB437.jpeg
    671AE316-1529-4E82-8A10-C982F8FAB437.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 198
With the permission of SFBC we’d like to dedicate this 2021 Tuna Thread to a well known fisherman, friend to so many of us and just an all round generous guy.

Thomas Kirk aka Smiley

May he look down on us this season and lead us all onto fishy waters and safe travels.

RIP Smiley
Well said! Thomas was the one inspirational individual that got me started tuna fishing! Words will never be able to explain the knowledge and friendship that he took with him. Thomas lived every day like it could be his last. Let’s carry on his passion on the water, and fill this thread with great reports throughout 2021 in honour of captain Thomas Kirk (Smiley)

Thomas Kirk aka Smiley

RIP Smiley
Thanks for posting this FA.
Thomas was indeed a passionate angler that I spent many enjoyable hours on the water with

I considered him a friend as well as the best dentist I’ve ever had

RIP

Noticed I only had one 4" Cedar plug so I ordered up a couple custom 6" models from Master Craftsman Mark Mayo who's often found over on Alan Tani's forum-these aren't Cedar though one is Purpleheart (gets a darker purple under the sun) and the other is Bloodwood.

They seem to be a lot heavier than regular 'EBay Cedar plugs' but I have in on good authority they work well.

IMGP0469.jpg

Thomas Kirk aka Smiley

RIP Smiley

Had a memorable trip with him out for tuna and I distinctly remember him saying he'd die with a drill in his hand. Too soon. Whatever he's doing now I know he's doing it barefoot and with a smile on his face.

Thomas Kirk aka Smiley

RIP Smiley
Well said Owen.

I was lucky enough to have met Thomas several years back and he quickly made me realize I needed try this Tuna thing. He introduced me to the funnest fishery I’ve ever experienced and I’m grateful for that.

Thomas had a huge heart and showed that in everything he did. I’ve met very few people who are as passionate about fishing as he was.

I’ll always remember our adventures Smiley because they were always that, an adventure!

After hours, we’ll have to finish that bucket list for him!

Ill be looking to do my first tuna trip this year late september if all pans out. 24 foot boat, currently has a older lowrance radar set up that I would like to remove and sell if anyone has interest in it. I will be purchasing AIS VHF and set up with my HDS12 and run a radar reflector.
Question: Is that acceptable in the tuna fishing world, I cant see myself using the radar, done lots of sailing and always use charts and AIS and reflectors.

Also, if anyone has gear for sale, I would be interested.
And RIP Smiley, I didnt know him, but would kindly ask for a few Tunas directed my way. :)

Ill be looking to do my first tuna trip this year late september if all pans out. 24 foot boat, currently has a older lowrance radar set up that I would like to remove and sell if anyone has interest in it. I will be purchasing AIS VHF and set up with my HDS12 and run a radar reflector.
Question: Is that acceptable in the tuna fishing world, I cant see myself using the radar, done lots of sailing and always use charts and AIS and reflectors.

And RIP Smiley, I didnt know him, but would kindly ask for a few Tunas directed my way. :)
Is the older Lowrance not compatible with the HDS? I personally wouldn't get rid of it since most recreational tuna boats won't have an AIS transmission function on their boat and a collision could happen quickly on the run out. Tough to keep an eye on multiple screens if it's not compatible but I wouldn't give up the safety layer of seeing the coast and anything big out there.

Radar has not only saved us on my boat a few times but others I know as well when off shore fishing. Especially when way off shore Tuna fishing. The fog can roll in very quickly and catch you off guard as well as lot's of times we head out in pitch dark and completely fogged in on Tuna mornings and come in at times in pitch dark or fogged in. Not all boats out there have AIS so without radar you won't be seeing them. Also recreational class B AIS aren't as high a priority as commercial class A AIS in the field of AIS information being read/seen by other commercial vessels. All class A AIS take priority and at times Class B's may not even be seen by other commercial vessels sending and receiving class A AIS information.
When Tuna fishing you should be fairly close to other members of your fishing group of boats just in case something happens like mechanical break down, medical emergency, etc. A lot of times there are a good number of sporty boats and commercial fishing vessels as well as transportation, shipping, commercial vessels all sharing the same areas where the Tuna fishing goes on. If you don't have radar you could be jeopardizing yourself, your guests, and other boats you are fishing around. If you or someone in your group has a mechanical failure and needs towing in there's a very good chance you will be coming in from way off shore in the dark by the time you get back in. Doing that with just a chart and no radar can be very risky.

Some Notes from The SFAB worth a look at..

SFAB Off Shore Safety Guidelines for Recreational Tuna Fishers​

Foreword - As with all fisheries, safety should always be the number one priority for every angler! Considering the distances that recreational anglers travel offshore in pursuit of Tuna, special attention should be paid to the following:

Weather:

• Monitor the “Current” weather conditions and “forecast” prior to leaving shore, and when you are at sea. Websites such as Environment Canada ( https://weather.gc.ca ) , Unisys (http://weather.unisys.com ) and Windyty ( https://www.windyty.com ) can provide some insight, but remember the accuracy of the information can vary. When on the grounds, the weather channel on your VHF radio can provide forecast and current condition data.
  • If the conditions deteriorate, have an exit plan agreed upon with your partner boats.

Stability:

• Know your vessel’s safe weight capability; do not exceed that when loading gear, passengers and ice
  • Stability – While different vessels can have varying weight capacities, it is important to know what the safe limits of your craft are. To determine what the capacity of your vessel is, it is a good idea to complete a stability test. This can be done by a naval architect, or by using the Transport Canada “Simplified Assessment of Intact Stability & Buoyancy of Small Non-pleasure Vessels”. For more information on vessel stability and conducting the assessment, consult the following Transport Canada website: https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-vessel-stability-menu-1193.htm
  • Safely secure all items, particularly coolers to prevent load shifting
  • Be aware of “Free Surface Effect” and its effect on stability
  • Store items as low as possible to lower center of gravity
  • For more detailed information on Marine Safety, check out https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/menu.htm

Communication:

• Monitor Channel 72 and 16; a second back up radio is a good idea
  • Carry 2 VHF radios with DSC capabilities / keep a waterproof VHF radio in your ditching bag
  • Contact other fishing vessels on channel 72 to notify them you are entering a fishing area – this helps increase everyone’s situational awareness

Collision Avoidance:

• Increase visibility by utilizing flags on masts and radar reflectors
  • Radar with proximity alarms and AIS is recommended
  • Maintain multiple sources of navigation such as, compass, GPS chart plotter, tablet or phone
  • Always keep an active wheel watch at all times – assign one driver
  • Allow at least half mile distance between vessels
  • Never cross in front of another vessel that is fishing

Safety / Emergency Preparedness-
In addition to the standard required equipment, the following is recommended:

• File a detailed sail plan with a responsible shore party prior to departure, and ensure you have an agreed upon check in time and plan for notifying search authorities if overdue
  • Boats should travel together in groups of 2 or more and stay in constant contact using the buddy system for mutual safety and rescue
  • Carry and wear PFD’s. Survival suits are advisable.
  • Prepare a ditching bag that holds an EPIRB flare signal kit and extra flares, first aid kit, water, water proof flashlight
  • Conduct a pre-departure safety briefing to demonstrate all safety equipment, communication, EPIRB operation. Ensure everyone knows how to safely navigate the vessel
  • Life ring, with throw rope
  • Tow rope, bridle and drone
  • Carry at least 2 ABC rated fire extinguishers
  • To learn more about Marine Safety, check out Transport Canada’s Marine Safety website (http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/menu.htm )

Fuel Management:

Determine the distance you will cover prior to departure and ensure you carry enough fuel – calculate by fuel burn, anticipated speed over the distance travelled, plan for 1/3 fuel load for trip out plus fishing, 1/3 for return trip and 1/3 for reserve. Carry spare water separating fuel filters.

Maintenance:

• Maintenance – Using a checklist, ensure that all systems on your vessel are in good operating condition prior to departure. Carry spare parts and be prepared for mechanical breakdowns.
  • Having more than one source of propulsion is advisable.

Thomas Kirk aka Smiley

RIP Smiley
Thomas was indeed a generous man as he also introduced me to the tuna fishing frenzy. I learned a lot from him not only on that day but on every day spent in his company. He had a great sense of humor too.

One day I had just put my gear in the water off the Finger Islands in Nanaimo and he recognized my little boat. He took the time to pull his lines out and navigated close by simply to give me his tips of the day: what to use, how deep and so on. About an hour later, when I was battling a fish solo and looking the other way, he sped up with his big boat and turned sharply to give me as much wave as he could. While dancing to keep my balance, I looked back and there he was, waving at me with his huge smile and laughing as he left at full speed.

Smiley is his name. RIP my friend.

Well said Owen.

I was lucky enough to have met Thomas several years back and he quickly made me realize I needed try this Tuna thing. He introduced me to the funnest fishery I’ve ever experienced and I’m grateful for that.

Thomas had a huge heart and showed that in everything he did. I’ve met very few people who are as passionate about fishing as he was.

I’ll always remember our adventures Smiley because they were always that, an adventure!

After hours, we’ll have to finish that bucket list for him!
Oh yes we will Dave! His last bucket list item he shared with us was having a 50+ lb tyee on the deck of his boat, regardless of who reeled it in. We are going to fulfill that dream of his in Rivers!!!
Always in our hearts Smiley!

Some Notes from The SFAB worth a look at..

SFAB Off Shore Safety Guidelines for Recreational Tuna Fishers​

Foreword - As with all fisheries, safety should always be the number one priority for every angler! Considering the distances that recreational anglers travel offshore in pursuit of Tuna, special attention should be paid to the following:

Weather:

• Monitor the “Current” weather conditions and “forecast” prior to leaving shore, and when you are at sea. Websites such as Environment Canada ( https://weather.gc.ca ) , Unisys (http://weather.unisys.com ) and Windyty ( https://www.windyty.com ) can provide some insight, but remember the accuracy of the information can vary. When on the grounds, the weather channel on your VHF radio can provide forecast and current condition data.
  • If the conditions deteriorate, have an exit plan agreed upon with your partner boats.

Stability:

• Know your vessel’s safe weight capability; do not exceed that when loading gear, passengers and ice
  • Stability – While different vessels can have varying weight capacities, it is important to know what the safe limits of your craft are. To determine what the capacity of your vessel is, it is a good idea to complete a stability test. This can be done by a naval architect, or by using the Transport Canada “Simplified Assessment of Intact Stability & Buoyancy of Small Non-pleasure Vessels”. For more information on vessel stability and conducting the assessment, consult the following Transport Canada website: https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-vessel-stability-menu-1193.htm
  • Safely secure all items, particularly coolers to prevent load shifting
  • Be aware of “Free Surface Effect” and its effect on stability
  • Store items as low as possible to lower center of gravity
  • For more detailed information on Marine Safety, check out https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/menu.htm

Communication:

• Monitor Channel 72 and 16; a second back up radio is a good idea
  • Carry 2 VHF radios with DSC capabilities / keep a waterproof VHF radio in your ditching bag
  • Contact other fishing vessels on channel 72 to notify them you are entering a fishing area – this helps increase everyone’s situational awareness

Collision Avoidance:

• Increase visibility by utilizing flags on masts and radar reflectors
  • Radar with proximity alarms and AIS is recommended
  • Maintain multiple sources of navigation such as, compass, GPS chart plotter, tablet or phone
  • Always keep an active wheel watch at all times – assign one driver
  • Allow at least half mile distance between vessels
  • Never cross in front of another vessel that is fishing

Safety / Emergency Preparedness-
In addition to the standard required equipment, the following is recommended:

• File a detailed sail plan with a responsible shore party prior to departure, and ensure you have an agreed upon check in time and plan for notifying search authorities if overdue
  • Boats should travel together in groups of 2 or more and stay in constant contact using the buddy system for mutual safety and rescue
  • Carry and wear PFD’s. Survival suits are advisable.
  • Prepare a ditching bag that holds an EPIRB flare signal kit and extra flares, first aid kit, water, water proof flashlight
  • Conduct a pre-departure safety briefing to demonstrate all safety equipment, communication, EPIRB operation. Ensure everyone knows how to safely navigate the vessel
  • Life ring, with throw rope
  • Tow rope, bridle and drone
  • Carry at least 2 ABC rated fire extinguishers
  • To learn more about Marine Safety, check out Transport Canada’s Marine Safety website (http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/menu.htm )

Fuel Management:

Determine the distance you will cover prior to departure and ensure you carry enough fuel – calculate by fuel burn, anticipated speed over the distance travelled, plan for 1/3 fuel load for trip out plus fishing, 1/3 for return trip and 1/3 for reserve. Carry spare water separating fuel filters.

Maintenance:

• Maintenance – Using a checklist, ensure that all systems on your vessel are in good operating condition prior to departure. Carry spare parts and be prepared for mechanical breakdowns.
  • Having more than one source of propulsion is advisable.
Hope for a few tips from tuna guys. A bud ex commercial tuna fisherman gave me a few rigged zuker lures with 16' of 80 and some 100 lb mono-too heavy a leader?Wondering about going directly to a swivel on the double hook with 40-60 lb mono. Do you run the little 4" orange rabbits then a leader to the lure/hook,and the larger 12" teasers with no hook? Thinking of running 7 lines as I have outriggers on a 26' Skipjack out of WH about the 2nd to 3rd week of Aug. thanks

Even 200# isn't too heavy in fact it makes landing & unhooking them easier-just take a wrap around your hand & haul it over the gunnel-not every time but it's a handy option and 4' is lots.

They do get off sometime using those double hooks a big sharp barbed single hooks & holds better.

This is a standard bird 'n lure rig

Tuna-Lure-with-Bird.jpg

With 7 lines I'd put the middle one long, long, long and two Rapalas or Yo Zuris close to the boat then the rest staggered in the wake so they can be seen from below.

Gotta have one of these somewhere plain wood is Best

IMGP0469.jpg

Back