2021 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

Out on the late high tide last night. Went with live herring south end of Bjerre. Picked up a nice red spring in 160” water on a return reel (~40’ of water). Dead weight bite but then put a great fight. One other boat netted one near me at the same time. Buddy brought one in from Quarry Bay, same set-up.

Going to east side of Lasqueti island for a few days. Are there any spots to target out that way? Thank you

I've always liked the tacks in and around Young Pt. to Squitty. Used to be a dynamic livie mooch back in the day. Depending on tide / wind, you can troll along the contours or across them - I've had good luck on both, and keeps ya well clear of the RCA.

Might as well drop some lines at Sangster also.

If weather and time permit, it's not a long run from Squitty across to Secret Cove, where Buccaneer Marina will sell you live herring for that true mooching experience.
I'm heading up September 14-17.
I'll be using the launch and either moorage or parking storage at Buccaneer depending on daily dock space.
Since I'm mostly going to try prawning, I think I'll just take a box of jigs and give the livey thing a try around Bjerre.
1) Am I better off anchoring where I find bait? If so I think my hali anchor is too long. I can make one 200 feet with other stuff.
2) Can I keep the herring in a 5 gallon bucket and use my bailer to refresh?
3) Is 15lb test 12' long about right? Do I need to use trebles? I hate 'em. I do have some #2 singles in my kokanee stuff.

Buccaneer Marina usually has mooching rigs pre tied for your convenience. #4 or #5 octopus hooks snelled 3-4" apart on 25 lb fluoro leader approx 3 ft long.

Two buckets for holding live bait, just pouring from one to the other is enough to oxygenate the water. Do it every 15 minutes.

If wind and current are mild, drifting is the way to go, but yes anchoring over specific structure will work.

Two buckets for holding live bait, just pouring from one to the other is enough to oxygenate the water. Do it every 15 minutes.

If wind and current are mild, drifting is the way to go, but yes anchoring over specific structure will work.

I beg to differ, anchor on your spots . Waves of fish come through and you will hammer them . Best day this year was 19 mature chinooks before 1 pm. Doubles , a triple , even was fly lining them with my 8wt. The most fun you can have salmon fishing. 90 percent of guys you see live baiting are anchored up

I beg to differ, anchor on your spots . Waves of fish come through and you will hammer them . Best day this year was 19 mature chinooks before 1 pm. Doubles , a triple , even was fly lining them with my 8wt. The most fun you can have salmon fishing. 90 percent of guys you see live baiting are anchored up
Thanks, I have taken my anchor rode apart and will have 250 feet on my Hali anchor now.
Tied a few leaders. Found an assortment of weights.
Care to share a general area?
As mentioned, just looking to fish a bit while pots soak. I left one spot on my tag.

Thanks, I have taken my anchor rode apart and will have 250 feet on my Hali anchor now.
Tied a few leaders. Found an assortment of weights.
Care to share a general area?
As mentioned, just looking to fish a bit while pots soak. I left one spot on my tag.

i like to anchor out in like 120' right on the edge of the shoal, first thing in the AM and last few hours before dusk.

Wed blew hard NW, today sucks for rain and SE, but I did find some prawns and dabble with liveys Thursday without a salmon.
Amazing how 40 metres one way or another can make a difference in prawn success/failure.
Done with salt for another year.

Hi everyone. I have been reading up about the area from all the great input in this forum. Heading out to secret cove and pender harbour on Tuesday to Saturday. Just wondering if all the salmon are gone. I wanted to try the live herring mooching tactics.
If I do live mooching do I need to anchor or can I drift?
from what I read I will try Bjerre shoal and epsom point.
For prawn traps is east of bjerre shoal or west of thormaby better at 300’ for prawns?
Not looking to steal secret prawn spots but I would definitely appreciate some advice.
Im 50/50 for prawns. Seems like I either get a lot or get none and it’s been really frustration as I’ve lost two sets to poachers

Last edited:
Personally, I don't think all the springs have left the secret cove / texada / sunshine coast area, and you're there during some great weather so get you and hit it. Generally, being able to anchor while mooching would produce the best results. The shoal I'd aim to troll around, Epsom can do both mooch and troll. I lile the outer banks of Epsom personally. Upwood at the lowest portion of texada could be in play too.

Yes, you're late to the ballgame but I'm sure you'll find one or two passing by.

Personally, I don't think all the springs have left the secret cove / texada / sunshine coast area, and you're there during some great weather so get you and hit it. Generally, being able to anchor while mooching would produce the best results. The shoal I'd aim to troll around, Epsom can do both mooch and troll. I lile the outer banks of Epsom personally. Upwood at the lowest portion of texada could be in play too.

Yes, you're late to the ballgame but I'm sure you'll find one or two passing by.
Thanks a lot for the quick reply. If I tried to mooch around epsom should I anchor around a 100 foot spot? And drop my traps wrest at a 300 foot spot?

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. If I tried to mooch around epsom should I anchor around a 100 foot spot? And drop my traps wrest at a 300 foot spot?

I'm by no means an epsom mooching professional but I see guys mooching along the north west side fingers around 60' or so, plus or minus 20'. Ask whomever is working the dock at mercers when you buy your bait to see what they might recommend.

Prawns are always going to be deeper and that area is no different. Most traps are west of the entrance toBuccaneer Bay off Thormanby island.

Best success I have had at epsom is on the west side between 90-140’ as the contour lines push up towards the north. That said I have had good success on the east side as well. Use your sounder and troll along slowly watching for bait, once you find it set the hook. Buy a good variety of weights and try to use the smallest you can 4oz is a good go to. keep one rod up higher and send one down close to the bottom there should be coho around now too, most important thing is do it slow so you don’t tangle the weight and leader, bites will slack the rod tip reel down slow till the fish is hooked then it’s on!

If I do live mooching do I need to anchor or can I drift?
from what I read I will try Bjerre shoal and epsom point.
For prawn traps is east of bjerre shoal or west of thormaby better at 300’ for prawns?
Not looking to steal secret prawn spots but I would definitely appreciate some advice.
Im 50/50 for prawns. Seems like I either get a lot or get none and it’s been really frustration as I’ve lost two sets to poachers
Just and update on my week out
Tubbers advice of where to drop the prawn traps produce the most in our trip. We tried dropping it in two other locations around thormaby but it didn’t produce as well.

thanks tubbers

We did end up buying live bait at bucaneers and did put in an afternoon at epsom point anchored at 120 feet of water. The guy at buccaneers was really helpful.

We caught a seal and a dog fish. We also lost a salmon at the boat. Also two hits that took the bait right off without us having a chance to even reel it in.

It was fun for the family.

I wish we were a month earlier, there would be more action.
We has a couple some great days of super calm water and that was nice
The next day we caught some of those shiny perches that hang around the dock and tried to use them as live bait with no results.
I wonder if it’s only herring they are after.

Last edited:
Back