2021 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

Limited out at the Little Q by 7:15 yesterday morning. Biggest was a 26 followed by a 17,16 and a 12. Two were chromers. 26 took a purple haze with a pink tinsel skirt and the others on a mother of pearl white glow. All fish in roughly 150’ of water at 75 on the rigger. Was a blast! This morning was crickets. Pulled the pin around 9

LQ yesterday afternoon, 1 keeper, hit at 200ft ,
School of springs cruising along the surface in near flat calm waters, beautiful evening out there

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210913-104730_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20210913-104730_Video Player.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 139
  • 20210912_192037.jpg
    20210912_192037.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 137
Nicely done. Just pointing out that you could get a ticket and the fish seized for not leaving the tail on one of those fillets until your back home.

You wouldn't believe the number of people I witnessed on the west coast this year cutting up there salmon into individual sized servings and vac packing/freezing. Zero way to identify type,size or number of fish. I guess the rules arnt for everyone... hard to explain to my friends from Alberta why they couldn't do it when everyone else was...

Nicely done. Just pointing out that you could get a ticket and the fish seized for not leaving the tail on one of those fillets until your back home.

Yes good tip
Nice to see , DNA sampling was being done there at the ramp last night, punching fins

Is it possible that they just cut the fillet right off the fish and kept the head, tail and spine in tact?
That’s how I fillet my fish anyways.986DCFEB-83AB-4688-BDB5-007751927403.jpeg

So this goes against the regs for transporting your catch. By law you must leave the tail on one of the fillets for id purposes until at your primary residence. Very few actually do it but it is the regulation.
True story.

Learning the butterfly fillet technique with the tail intact is very helpful

The reality is transportation regs are hidden in the depth of DFO web page hidden from any persons that does not spend hours searching for them.

the average person could transport fish there whole lives and never see a DFO officer.

it’s really no surprise that this comes up I hear basically monthly.

You wouldn't believe the number of people I witnessed on the west coast this year cutting up there salmon into individual sized servings and vac packing/freezing. Zero way to identify type,size or number of fish. I guess the rules arnt for everyone... hard to explain to my friends from Alberta why they couldn't do it when everyone else was...
I get it though. I do what I can and follow all rules around catching and retaining, but if you're out there for more than a couple of days and you get into some big fish how many 10 lb fillets do you need to freeze whole? For me the small risk of a run-in is worth it not to waste fish.
And the lodges I've stayed at generally aren't complying on behalf of their guests.

I get it though. I do what I can and follow all rules around catching and retaining, but if you're out there for more than a couple of days and you get into some big fish how many 10 lb fillets do you need to freeze whole? For me the small risk of a run-in is worth it not to waste fish.
And the lodges I've stayed at generally aren't complying on behalf of their guests.
Most of the bigger lodges have processing licences where they have to submit detailed paperwork to DFO with complete catch statistics for each angler. Fish are processed and bagged individually then boxed and flash frozen. From my own experiences it is by far the most accurate reporting of salmon catch I have ever seen.

Most of the bigger lodges have processing licences where they have to submit detailed paperwork to DFO with complete catch statistics for each angler. Fish are processed and bagged individually then boxed and flash frozen. From my own experiences it is by far the most accurate reporting of salmon catch I have ever seen.

I agree as well.

Slice the fillet down to the skin without going through. Freeze in a fish bag. Throw back in freezer at home to get super cold again. Easy to finish the cut, remove the tail, and vacuum seal now. Bonus is you can glaze the already frozen pieces with some icy water with just a bit of salt and sugar in it for further protection from little pockets of air that a frozen piece might have.

Back