2021 JaxonCraft Build Thread

Thanks for keeping the Island Economy going for us! I drop $1500 over a week at 3 different marine/trailer places and I feel sick to my stomach but you are shopping like the Kardashians.

The build keeps on getting better and better. We really do have world class suspension seat and boat builders, not to mention pot pullers and downrigger manufactures. Can you book me for the sea trial in 2035? That will be about when I can afford to upgrade!

Thanks for keeping the Island Economy going for us! I drop $1500 over a week at 3 different marine/trailer places and I feel sick to my stomach but you are shopping like the Kardashians.

The build keeps on getting better and better. We really do have world class suspension seat and boat builders, not to mention pot pullers and downrigger manufactures. Can you book me for the sea trial in 2035? That will be about when I can afford to upgrade!

Thanks for your kind words.

We are so far from the Kardashians in every way I nearly nose snorted my cup of tea when I read your post.

We buy and drive used cars, have saved our money, and live a reasonable and quiet life in a modest home.

I was widowed in my early 40's and then was lucky again in love and now have an additional 22 years of happiness and adventure this time around and stil counting. I like to say I have been satisfying married women for over 40 years. My current wife looks at me when I say that and says"Define Satisfy." :D

I doubt we will have a second boat so we wanted to get something that worked for us from the get go. Growing up around boats back east I had a pretty goed idea how much boats cost, as did my wife ,and as we expected, this is not an inexpensive undertaking.

Building a well outfitted sensible boat is a lot harder than it seems. I am glad we never built a house the details and decsions would have driven me crazy.

It is the little things that you have to think about that take up so much time. Today it came to me that I want to have the LED stern light (it will be mounted on the radar mast on the cabin roof ) wired in such a way that we can switch it on as part of the running lights and still be able to turn it on indepenedent of the running lights so that it can do double duty as an anchor light.

I try to visualize being in the boat and reaching for stuff, or going through scenarios where we need things we didn't plan to bring along and figureout what things that would have solved our problem.

This is how we set up our motorcycles - visualization of tasks and what we need with us to accomplish those tasks. Our motorcycle travel has engrained in us minimalist strategic packing. If one plans for potential problems you can create lists of what you really need to bring along.

It has become clear that we will need to buy a small zodiac type boat so that when we need to stern tie so we won't have to swim to shore. Hopefully, there will be a boat show in 2022 and we can find something there on sale.

I am glad you are enjoying the build.

Last edited:
I have a stern light on my boat that’s hooked up to a switch up front. It’s great for those early mornings when the gunwale lighting just isn’t enough. Are you planning on putting any lights on it that face forward? If you do, I’d put them on the underside of the bow. I have a light bar on my roof and it’s useless unless you are pulling up to shore. To much reflection off the bow rails as well. I’m planning on mounting a couple pods just under my pulpit on either side.

Way to go @Bill 310
You earned the money and deserve to spend it in a way that 'satisfies' you.
I look forward to the day I might be able to pull of the same thing.

I have a stern light on my boat that’s hooked up to a switch up front. It’s great for those early mornings when the gunwale lighting just isn’t enough. Are you planning on putting any lights on it that face forward? If you do, I’d put them on the underside of the bow. I have a light bar on my roof and it’s useless unless you are pulling up to shore. To much reflection off the bow rails as well. I’m planning on mounting a couple pods just under my pulpit on either side.

We are having a remote spotlight installed on the cabin roof far enough back to avoid glare off the brow. The decks and topside surface(except the roof) are all flat black non skid. It should suck up any glare and not reflect any light bounce.

I had thought of getting red LED lighting inside the cabin. My wife reminded me that I had basically given up night riding on motorcycles and I wasn't going to start a lot of night boating.

Cockpit lighting

Two small rectangular LED bars about 6" wide under the corners of the rear cabin roof .

Some rear cockpit lighting in the lower inside gunnels of the cockpit. Not too bright but brighter than third date romantic light.

It has become clear that we will need to buy a small zodiac type boat so that when we need to stern tie so we won't have to swim to shore. Hopefully, there will be a boat show in 2022 and we can find something there on sale.
I hear you, when you spend time creating the vision it will come true. Knowing your systems when they go in is likely easier then figuring them out 2-3 years later like me, I spent hours figuring out on
my binnacle/controls last week alone. Time and money we’ll spent doing it well custom up front.

We have 50-60lb dingy, an Alaskan. Would definitely replace it with one that has an inflatable keel (tracks better rowing or running) or a Cat style and the ability to take a 5-6hp kicker. Zodiac air cadet and Highfield look nice and pretty affordable for what you get.

New photos as of July 16.

I will try to get the inner hull construction shots including the foaming

Note 8" higher rear deck combing . This is a special build request . At 6'4" I decided that I didn't want to have a boat where my knees are above the gunnel height and the railing is below my waist. I like to have an extra margin of restraint to avoid getting wet.

Front Cabin will have extended v berth length

IMG_6482.jpeg

Note how the pod for the twin 150's is a continuation of the hull (continuous piece with no joining weld) and the rear deck exteneds the full beam. There will be a rear door though the transom and a stern ladder.

IMG_6483.jpeg

125 Gallon fully baffled fuel tank

IMG_6484.jpeg

Final shot. Cabin build starts on Monday. It is starting to look quite boatish

IMG_6481.jpeg

I don't know why more boat builders don't go with the raised sheer line forward.It looks way better, allows more headroom in cuddy, more robust bow, doesn't appear to obstruct sight lines and I can't think of any negatives,only positives.Beautiful build,if I was only 10 years younger and had more money back then.

I tried to read everything again but got distracted. Are you doing a rear bulkhead or will it be open?

Yes rear bulkhead (windows and door) with diesel heat in cabin. When we got over to see Robert he suggested a second BoMar hatch in the cabin roof to provide more ventaliation on hot days. It and the one in the V-Berth will have screens as will all the windows.

We are going to have a flip up table on one of exterior sides. It will have a lip all around so that the Colemnan propane stove won't slide off.

Some Yeti Tie down loops will be installed in the rear deck floor so we can secure a few Yetis safely for longer trips.

I don't know if I mentioned this but we took over a few 5 gallon water jugsto the builder and Robert will install them under one of the rear seat storage spaces. He is going to make sqared off spaces for them so that they don't bounce around or fall over.

1626484328782.png

Yes rear bulkhead (windows and door) with diesel heat in cabin. When we got over to see Robert he suggested a second BoMar hatch in the cabin roof to provide more ventaliation on hot days. It and the one in the V-Berth will have screens as will all the windows.

We are going to have a flip up table on one of exterior sides. It will have a lip all around so that the Colemnan propane stove won't slide off.

Some Yeti Tie down loops will be installed in the rear deck floor so we can secure a few Yetis safely for longer trips.

I don't know if I mentioned this but we took over a few 5 gallon water jugsto the builder and Robert will install them under one of the rear seat storage spaces. He is going to make sqared off spaces for them so that they don't bounce around or fall over.

View attachment 68235

Robert will have to Port side rear box seat partitioned to be able to hold 3 water containers (15 galloons)

Space for 125 (cdn) gallon (473 Litres ) gas tank

Note rubber matting for Gas tank to rest on. non- matted space is open. Sounder head is installed in that open space. Deck unbolts from above to allow service of tank and sounder.

1627957535871.png

Rear of Cabin Door opening looking forward

Locking removable swing door. Sliding Windows (with screens on each side)

Port exterior bulkhead will have drop down lipped table. Starboard side will have aluminum box with removable seat cushion.(storage underneath) Docking Line bollard shaped cleats on starboard bulkhead to store lines.

1627957712915.png

Port side looking back with Robert (the builder)

Cabin being assembled so windows and windshield openings can be cut and windows ordered.

Build went out of sequence to allow for longer lead times for window build due to delays in window trim and glass supply as a result of covid shortages

1627957963566.png

Stern ladder placement

L shaped ladder will be on Port side resting on pod. Hand rail on outside. Ladder will flip down for egress.

1627958154560.png

Starboard Stern shot.

Starboard side with get a inward opening door. Door sill will be 11 1/2 inches above pod deck.

Note: Gunnels will be extended 8 1/2 inches higher surrounding the cockpit than currently shown.

1627958274513.png

Back