2013 Vancouver, Howe Sound and Sunshine Coast Fishing Reports Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be off to the gulf islands but not taking part in the silva bay derby. Will be fishing south of that I think (porlier/active). Weather looks great all weekend as long as the wind stays down. Hoping there are still a good number of springs around.

Don't know what happened this morning. on the water after work so about 530 went to gower point lost one right off the bat line back down after about 20 mins got in to fish #2 after a short fight lost it too??? pull the line in and the line snapped at the hook (hootchie) argh.....Only good news is they seem to be showing up around the gibsons area. Be back out this weekend after I re tie some lures.

Green hornet will be over there in the derby,, staying at the silva bay inn,going over tomorrow morning early good luck everyone !!!!!!

Called pages and had them put 2 tix on hold for me. My bud and I are taking our dads out Sunday. Got to find a guy or 2 that's into just the sat. Love derbys

Those looking for local info I've been out twice in harbour. West van and Spanish banks bell and couldn't scrape up a thing
Sent from my LG-E900h using Board Express

Don't know what happened this morning. on the water after work so about 530 went to gower point lost one right off the bat line back down after about 20 mins got in to fish #2 after a short fight lost it too??? pull the line in and the line snapped at the hook (hootchie) argh.....Only good news is they seem to be showing up around the gibsons area. Be back out this weekend after I re tie some lures.

Repeat Offender................how deep were you getting your action off Gower Point and in how deep of water?

A small pod of killer whales came down middle of english bay and along stanley park into Vancouver harbour today.
My experiences with Orca's is they really seem to know when the chinook or salmon are around and just when fishing is super hot , they appear .
That does not seem to be the case with this now or with this pod , as there is not alot of salmon around this area but lots of seals and seal pups.
Lets hope this is the case of nature taking care of the grossly over population of seals.
Orca's , my new best freinds :)

hi there capt hook, we have 2 distinct families of orcas on the westcoast here, the residents and the transients, each has it's own particular diet. the residents are fish eaters and the transients are considered mammal eaters (seals etc). I know almost every year a pod will travel thru the harbor and up indian arrm and these are usually transients which i would suspect these are. I'm with you hopefully a good purge of our local seal population is underway, lol.
cheers nicnat

hi there capt hook, we have 2 distinct families of orcas on the westcoast here, the residents and the transients, each has it's own particular diet. the residents are fish eaters and the transients are considered mammal eaters (seals etc). I know almost every year a pod will travel thru the harbor and up indian arrm and these are usually transients which i would suspect these are. I'm with you hopefully a good purge of our local seal population is underway, lol.
cheers nicnat

Make that primary diet. Transients usu. prefer mammals. Residents also hunt seals and other mammals as well.

A transient WILL eat salmon, herring, etc. I know. I've had them eat salmon off the end of my line.

I was on this pod today. they were leisurely swimming along....no place to be in no hurry.

A small pod of killer whales came down middle of english bay and along stanley park into Vancouver harbour today.
My experiences with Orca's is they really seem to know when the chinook or salmon are around and just when fishing is super hot , they appear .
That does not seem to be the case with this now or with this pod , as there is not alot of salmon around this area but lots of seals and seal pups.
Lets hope this is the case of nature taking care of the grossly over population of seals.
Orca's , my new best freinds :)

Day-to-day killer whale behavior generally consists of foraging, travelling, resting and socializing. Killer whales are frequently active at the surface, engaging in acrobatic behaviors such as breaching, spyhopping, and tail-slapping. These activities may have a variety of purposes, such as courtship, communication, dislodging parasites, or play. Spyhopping, a behaviour in which a whale holds its head above water, helps the animal view its surroundings.[113]

Resident killer whales swim with porpoises, other dolphins, seals, and sea lions, which are common prey for transient killer whales.

Although resident killer whales have never been observed to eat other marine mammals, they occasionally harass and kill porpoises and seals for no apparent reason.

One aspect of their biology that appears to be almost certain is that transient killer whales do not eat fish. They appear to have a diet that is made up of warm-blooded prey including marine mammals, birds and the occasional terrestrial mammal such as deer or moose. In southern British Columbia, some of their preferred meals include harbour seals, Dall’s porpoise and harbour porpoise.

Transients reject fish as a food source, and in captivity will often starve rather than accept this diet. These whales specialize in hunting marine mammals and will also harass and eat sea birds, and attack deer and moose that swim across narrow marine passages.

On the news last night, they were interviewing a biologists from the Vancouver Aquarium, who said the pod that came thru were transients. Hopefully they had few seal snacks! I imagine it must be fairly easy pickings with the number of seals that are around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back