2013 Tuna adventures

Great water today but slow fishing. Still a fun trip!

Right on Kelly! Did you go to the Barkley Canyon? Slow, but did you catch anything? See any other critters out there? Come on man........:D. I'm beached and itching to get back out there lol.

Myself and two other boats fished todays as well. Caught fish in the morning but slow fishing. We finished with 2 and the other boats 6 and 7 all in the morning. Not nice weather. Full moon a problem?

Will be in Bamfield Thursday to Sunday this week with a few wannabe tuna fisherman. Looking for a buddy boat so if anyone is up for a trip, please pm me.

Sculpin we hit two and landed one. We hit one fish in 57 degree green water on the way out and the other in blue 62 degree water. Saw sunfish, lots of whales and a few dolphins. Man I love it out there!

Birdsnest your theory might be right. We ran 35 miles out (57 degree water) and were jogging along at 9 mph. We saw a tuna boat go past heading out but someone was working gear in the back. It was midnight with a full moon so we figured what the heck lets drag 2 rods. 5 minutes later zzzzzzz tuna on but lost it. Fished 15 more mins with no action and called it a night. Perhaps they are on the feed through the night?

Dak where are you staying? Ill stop by for a bs if I see you in the Harbour. We might fish tuna somewhere thurs-sat depending on weather.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sculpin we hit two and landed one. We hit one fish in 57 degree green water on the way out and the other in blue 62 degree water. Saw sunfish, lots of whales and a few dolphins. Man I love it out there!

Birdsnest your theory might be right. We ran 35 miles out (57 degree water) and were jogging along at 9 mph. We saw a tuna boat go past heading out but someone was working gear in the back. It was midnight with a full moon so we figured what the heck lets drag 2 rods. 5 minutes later zzzzzzz tuna on but lost it. Fished 15 more mins with no action and called it a night. Perhaps they are on the feed through the night?

Dak where are you staying? Ill stop by for a bs if I see you in the Harbour. We might fish tuna somewhere thurs-sat depending on weather.

Right on!. I always wondered about fishing at night for them. I have read about guys fishing for them on bait stops at night but wondered about trolling. You know you can sleep when your dead lol :D. After that first hit I would have put more time in and tried for some more. It would be hard to sleep after that. Cool trip man. Thanks for sharing :).

Thats funny because just the other day I was on a commercial boat checking out its gear and they had fair amount of glow clones rigged up. I asked about them but the guy just shrugged it off and said they hit anything but I do not think that is the case.

Yep, full moon and clear sky will have them feeding at night, followed by a great first light bite. After that first daylight bite they will go off the chew till late afternoon when the frenzy starts all over again.

This exact scenario happened last week at Westport.

This seems to be the time of year that live bait pays off. Fish get a little skittish. Guys that are doing well down south seem to be on bait stops.

This seems to be the time of year that live bait pays off. Fish get a little skittish. Guys that are doing well down south seem to be on bait stops.

Too bad we don't have that luxury up here. We are forced to become troll masters lol. I think a chunk or dead bait stop would be cool.

The race is on...First town out of Bamfield, Ucluelet and Tofino to have live bait shall be crowned Tuna Capital of B.C.!

I was out same day as Kelly... we talked on the radio but I never saw him until end of day when running in.
Since he had not found any in deeper water, I decided to focus around the start of the canyons at about 1200-1800' deep. Water was 59.7 - 61.4 on my gizmo. I had one hit that ran about 75 yds and was gone..other than that, no tuna for me. Not much for birds and really never saw a sharp temp line. Water was 57 by big bank and just kept rising.. highest I saw was 61.8 in 3000' of water,near Barkley canyon.
However, I wish I took a pic of the mess 2 coho on xraps make when you're running 8 lines solo and you think for a minute that two tuna just hit so you keep trolling at 7 mph until you see them jump... F******k what a tangle!!!!! Foe my next trip... I'm going to research coho repellant!

I was out same day as Kelly... we talked on the radio but I never saw him until end of day when running in.
Since he had not found any in deeper water, I decided to focus around the start of the canyons at about 1200-1800' deep. Water was 59.7 - 61.4 on my gizmo. I had one hit that ran about 75 yds and was gone..other than that, no tuna for me. Not much for birds and really never saw a sharp temp line. Water was 57 by big bank and just kept rising.. highest I saw was 61.8 in 3000' of water,near Barkley canyon.
However, I wish I took a pic of the mess 2 coho on xraps make when you're running 8 lines solo and you think for a minute that two tuna just hit so you keep trolling at 7 mph until you see them jump... F******k what a tangle!!!!! Foe my next trip... I'm going to research coho repellant!

Thanks for the detailed report, did you have a body boat or you were alone?
You will have them next timel!

Staying at Mills, stop by for a cold one. Saturday and Sunday look like they are shaping up nicely for weather.

Staying at Mills, stop by for a cold one. Saturday and Sunday look like they are shaping up nicely for weather.

Terry I'm in for either or both of those days if you still need a guy. Doesn't look like I have to charter and I've got some good co- ords!

Looking for some good tuna fishing resources for looking at water temp and weather and tackle selection also is the weekend usually a good time to find some buddy boats to go out with planning a trip in the next few weeks on my bothers father in laws boatImageUploadedByTapatalk1377649086.117091.jpg

Back