2013 Tuna adventures

how far are you guys out there? 60 miles?

Right on wish I had the time to get out there right now. Planning on labour Day with Sculpin and crew. Keep it up Birdsnest we all enjoy the reports and pics.

Wow Andrew!, that sounded like quite the trip. Too rough for my bones (in my boat) lol.

Can't wait for the report and pic's Birdsnest :). Which lures, dive boards or surface, more bird activity etc?

Hope my engine noise is minor and I will back on the water soon!!!

Yes the unfortunate part of my trip is that I had two virgins aboard that now have a slightly tainted view of Tuna fishing. I will have to get them back out ASAP to get them hooked!

experienced tuna guy looking to get on a boat for the tuna shootout ,have rods ,feathers,zukers ,experienced with live bait to, gaff man ,gonna take my 5th wheel up there and hang for the 20th to 30th ,thanks ,BOB freshone fishing charters.com

experienced tuna guy looking to get on a boat for the tuna shootout ,have rods ,feathers,zukers ,experienced with live bait to, gaff man ,gonna take my 5th wheel up there and hang for the 20th to 30th ,thanks ,BOB freshone fishing charters.com

My boat is full but I am sure there will be someone looking for an experienced crew member. Look forward to meeting you there.

Cheers,
John

Last edited by a moderator:
I was in Tofino this afternoon dropping off the rig to get checked out. Went down to Method and talked to Birdsnest and another boat just as they came in. They both did well today and apparently a couple more folks have joined the dark side too. Congrats :).

I went there last year with my trailer and to my unplanned surprise the venue is on an island. Well its not on an island but it is like an island in the sense that you need a boat to get to where all the others are.
Make sure you have a plan in place for this.

I was in Tofino this afternoon dropping off the rig to get checked out. Went down to Method and talked to Birdsnest and another boat just as they came in. They both did well today and apparently a couple more folks have joined the dark side too. Congrats :).

I did a trip with anther boat of nubes. They were in their boat and me in mine. I gave them a whole bucket of rigged gear (my "system' of course) and the buggers out fished me!!! Lol. When we met back at the dock they were so pumped. They all said it was the best day of fishing they ever had it their life. A good clean swell bumped up during the day and that was fun also. Saw a handful of tuna takes too. Fished one spot most of the day.

I fished tuna Saturday and sunday. On saturday I had one buddy boat and half way out I realized I forgot all, ALL my tackle!!!!! ARGGGHHH!!! Turning back would just ruin the day. Luckily I was fishing with my buds so one guy in my boat had a spool of 200 lbs and the buddy in the other boat had a variety of splashers and lures and hooks and I had a spool of twine for hand lines and my rods so we were able to fish tho in the beginning we thought we were going to be fishing with a severe handicap. This would not be the case. We landed 35. Had 1 tuna virgin on the boat this day. I do not have permission to post pictures of all these guys so I have edited the photos but I assure you they are stand up dudes.
I do not have much to say about this day. I fished with good fishers so it was easy. There were some big highs and lows with me forgetting my gear. I don't ever get very mad but ohhhh I just about snapped. It frustrates me so much that so much time and prep goes into these trips so when this happens I start feeling a bit like I am guiding and no body gots my back. Its allot to take on these trip and it is so much better when you are doing it with other experience dudes to back up your weather calls and equipment checks and whatever else is going on at the moment. The trip was awesome in the end. Maybe its time for an official check list on the DP.Dawn Patrol.

The second day, Sunday, is a trip for my staff who are always bugging me to go fishing. They don't really fish much so its all new to them. The one fella that bugs me the most to go gets seasick and sleeps most of the day. He reels in a few fish and is up when it gets exciting but otherwise he is just a blob on the bench. I have to hand it to him tho when we get back to the dock he is on it. He stays and makes sure the boat is put back together and clean and then he comes to my house to process he stays until every last bucket and cooler is washed which is soooooo nice.
I see this morning there are some good shots of SST and Chloro and that the good water is 30 miles from the beach. Even tho this is the case and I know there are tuna there I push out to my spot 45 miles out. We are into fish pretty quick. There are 3 boats with us today and one comes pretty late and starts fishing 7 miles sooner. They get a triple right off but then nothing and spend an hour and a bit trolling to us.
Its pretty much the same story. Perfect water and good times. Sunday is sunny all day out there which was so nice. Finally a T-shirt day. Tie those blood buckets down or this happens. lol
More first timers:
Clayoquotkid with his first tune.
For the most part green has been the good colour all these trips but sunday it was the one in the middle that was working very well. Been using the zucchini allot as seen on the left.

good day all,i have been following this thread for some time now and am ready to get out and put in some time doing it.I am planning on putting my boat in Ucluelet on Wednesday and am looking for interested parties.i am a nube but have a solid boat and some gear.if the weather works i will be looking to get out and i need crew,experienced would be nice but i am open.message me here is you would be interested in fishing later this week.

Birdsnest and the rest of you "TUNA JUNKIES" I just love hearing about your adventures and love all the pictures. Wish I could make it to the tuna shootout but will be out of the country,other wise I'd be there for the clinic at the every least. Anyway be safe out there and keep it coming, one day I hope to join you and become a "TUNA JUNKIE" also.

Birdie

What can I say; you make us all envious being able to get out there so often; but you kick butt everytime; I guess to make up for the bad days you do have. It will be a pleasure to meet you at the shootout and soak in the info that may get passed on by all the seasoned vets; thanks for keeping us up to date and all the awesome pics. This is an excellent fishery for all of us newbies as there are so many seasoned guys that are willing to spend the time and help out those of us that are willing to get our s(*t together to experience this in the safest and best way possible. Good on everyone that is doing this as the shootout will be epic with so many good people willing to pass on info!

This is an excellent fishery for all of us newbies as there are so many seasoned guys that are willing to spend the time and help out those of us that are willing to get our s(*t together to experience this in the safest and best way possible.

Great post!!! That's what it is all about Greg. Safety comes first and having your sh*t together. This is the best way possible to experience this fishery. The fishing is secondary. You did your research, made some serious investments, and you look after your boat very well. I did the same a couple of years ago. I think if you can show that you are serious about it, the experienced guys will talk with you and help out.

I personally think for anyone that just wants to give it a try, then hopping on another boat that has done it before is the way to go. It might not be your thing but then again it might be and then you are ruined for the rest of your life :eek::p:D. This is not a inexpensive fishery. This is not a troll around the Sound. Boats, safety gear, and tackle all add up quickly. If you don't mind the expense, having your sh*t together, and doing some research, it is as Nog said "the most fun you can have with your clothes on" lol.

The seminar at the tuna shootout will be well worth attending for anyone interested in getting into this. There will be lot's of experienced folks there as well and I know I can't wait to talk to some of them and try to absorb as much knowledge as I can. I would assume that there could be some open seats for deck hands as well.

I have been following this thread for some time and feel the need to head offshore in search of the Wiley tuna.i plan on putting the boat at ucluelet this Wednesday.i am looking for interested parties to fish with ,looks like a handful of gear to fish singlehanded.i have a pretty solid boat and a bit of gear.i will be there through the weekend and hope the seas are friendly.

Back