2011 Sockeye Run Port Alberni

Blackmax, click on the link I provided above. I believe it's Friday 8th. I was also asking for suggestions from other anglers that might have some ideas on how to get away from the Gillnetters.;) eman

Is there any point to lugging the boat over there next weekend? Or will it be slower than slow?

call me paranoid but had plans to hit the canal this weekend but am thinking of changing to renny now.

Just got back from a couple of days in the inlet. It's slow. We brought home 7, some guys got more, some guys got none. Really windy too.
Dave

Headed down on the 12th for a week. Driving 10 hours. We have a site booked at china creek. The reports worry me a little. Should we change plans???

For what it's worth I talked with a friend last night at China Creek where he has been staying for the last 3 weeks. He said it had been slower in the morning but the last two days were crazy around noon right out in front of China Creek. A lttle lumpy but no one around and the bite was on. Good luck!

Heard a rumor that the commies got their limits by wednesday,anyone know if thats true? couple days till the weekend, you never know

Heard a rumor that the commies got their limits by wednesday,anyone know if thats true? couple days till the weekend, you never know

It definately should pick up somewhat by the weekend, but big unknown is where they will be allowing commercial fishing again on sunday and monday. If they siene the entire canal, that is a fatal move to the sports fishery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Total waste of time today, no nets out that we saw. Creel lady said only a couple of boats got fish. She figures another week after today, gill netters now for a few days etc. boat launch was dead today and I parked right there.

Heard today that the escapement has been reached and a "cleanup fishery" by the siene fleet will be happening. A fatal error is an understatement.

Any confirmation or sources on escapements being hit?

On june 30th the weekly report stated that only 220,000 have reached sproat/GCL that is only half of the total needed escapement.

slow as molasses today down between Cous Creek- China Creek. No hits after fishing from 5:30-8:30pm. We didn't see any fish being pulled in. Yesterday, we caught 1 sockeye in the same place, then headed down to Pill Point & Swale Rock where we came home with 1 more sockeye & 5 spring (a 15lb was the biggest) - so much more action down there. So there are sockeye coming, but certainly harder to find right now.

Fished today from first light to 9.30 am trolled from cous to hocking pt and part way back.
Saw 2 fish netted. Heading out of here!

I don't believe it is going to improve since gills are at all the choke points of the canal. We were planning to stay until the 18 or 19. Port Alberni loosing out again.

Fished the inlet today for Sockeye. Cous Creek - Nada, China Creek - Nada, Franklin Mill - Nada, Nahmint - Nada, Narrows at Pocahontas Pt. - Nada, Pill Pt. - Nada, Swale Rk. - Nada (didn't expect sockeye to be at Swale). Notice a trend here???

The Chinook were hard to come by, lost a couple of shakers, and one very small coho.

Bottom fish were all that came home. We weren't prepared for an offshore trip today so we didn't go outside :( would have been nice out there I think.

Commies were EVERYWHERE! They have done a very good job of cleaning up all of the Socks, only saw a few jumpers out there and nothing on the sonar, a far cry from last week, the fish were literally everywhere in good sized schools to large schools. I sure would like to see some more come in, and at least have an opportunity to fish them before DFO lets the Commies Vacuum them all up. Not impressed to say the least!:mad:

So if they have all the fish in the lakes they need does this mean the commercial guys are in clean up mode? And the sport season is done for the year.

Back