2011 Sockeye Run Port Alberni

Did any of you guys fish during last years gillnet openings and about how many boats did the sports fisherman have to contend with?
Dave
Don't know the actual numbers, but it was a LOT!!!!! That day, we fished the Socks in the morning and then out to the west coast for the afternoon, well when we came back down the canal (windy as hell), they were lined up on both sides of the canal every few hundred yards it seemed, with their nets strung from shore to center of canal, from outside of Nahmint to Port. It felt like one of those wicket line ups at the bank or theatre, or a labarynth maze. My first thought was how in the hell could any of the fish survive that????

Here is a question, for those that may know; has anyone heard what the escapement numbers are so far going up the river?

The seiners came out today mid morning were setting from just past the mill up to the narrows. Fortunately most of the guys that were out this morning were done and headed in.

We got 9 of our 12.... and lost about a million :)

Someone please enlighten a rookie sockeye guy, what's the secret to keeping them on? We tried easy retrieve, horsing 'em, rod sideways....it didn't seem to matter. The only conclusion I came to was two more feet on the net handle and we would have landed double what we did.

Great to meet Osama BH today, every time he went by us we got a fish!

Cheers,

BL

LOL you figured it out yourself. Two feet more on the net handle makes all the difference.
It's just a fact of life that you will lose 2/3 of the sockeye hooked.

I guess Ill head out there this afternoon and try to catch the window between the seiner and gillnet openings.I don't have to work so I might as well fish.
Dave

this is late...but fished Thurs night for 2 hours and put 12 in the boat...then Friday morning for 1-1/2 hrs for another 12. Freezer's full so I guess that's it for me.
We fished all alone right infront of the marina at China Creek.
Gong show in the river Friday morning at low tide...see General for my rant if interested.

Sockeye 800.jpgSockeye 064 800.jpg

It was a great trip on Fri and Sat for sockeye. It seemed like everyone was getting limits at China Creek. I tied up tandem 4/0 black hooks and was able to keep 90% of them on. Started out with a single hook and as you know you lose more than you get. Started using tandem Friday pm on my side and hooked 18 fish and 16 in the cooler. On the other side of the boat hooked 8 and 0 in the box.

Here are the two hottest lures.

If anybody was trying to figure out how long the seiners are out in the canal, I just called DFO - until they reach their limit or Tuesday at noon....not sure which I hope for, but that's the info. I was out last night bouncing around in the waves and no fish in the boat, although I did see a few caught by Dunsmuir.

Im a rookie at the sockeye fishing.... although I know the set-ups and speed... I was going to try Tues morning... If I launch at china creek... will I run into the Seiner's... or are they all fishing above China...
I dont want to drive out there at 4am to find the commercial fleet fishing at China and down from there..
Thanks..
otherwise ill just wait....

I'm going to put it off untill Wednesday but I think gillnetters will be out ? I also wonder if fish will bite with all the commercial activity. :confused:

Im a rookie at the sockeye fishing.... although I know the set-ups and speed... I was going to try Tues morning... If I launch at china creek... will I run into the Seiner's... or are they all fishing above China...
I dont want to drive out there at 4am to find the commercial fleet fishing at China and down from there..
Thanks..
otherwise ill just wait....
The seiners are fishing a long way down by past China Creek - almost up until Kildonan. There were some fish being caught last night, not sure how the bite was/is this morning.

I saw them fishing between china creek and i narrows as i drove by yesterday. Good news is the inlet fish should be replaced soon. We hit some 25 miles out on spring gear.

I think Ill wait then.... Ive kids coming... I dont need a gong show....
thnx

Yes , they recover quickly , it may be ok for the weekend , time will tell..

fd

I was out today.. it was SAD.. very sad indeed!
Dfo could have had the seines operate from dunsmere in and still left a healthy vibrant sport fishery, but OH NO!
That would have make too much sense!

I hope it recovers for the weekend!

I was out today.. it was SAD.. very sad indeed!
Dfo could have had the seines operate from dunsmere in and still left a healthy vibrant sport fishery, but OH NO!
That would have make too much sense!

I hope it recovers for the weekend!

Don't the gillnetters get a crack at it now? I sure planned this wrong, we are getting there tommorow and leaving on the week end.

Back