2$ to 3$ a litre gas this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told by the gal at French Creek fuel dock that if you question their price on fuel then you really can't afford to own a boat. Their price at the time was $.40/litre higher than what I could buy the marine fuel at the local gas station in Parksville. She told me put it on a trailer and go there. Which I will do but just dropped in to top off. I thought like WTF, she figures they can rip off the bigger boats that can't fuel up on a trailer. Needless to say I wasn't impressed and just thought this is nothing but gouging. Yes, I can afford to own a boat but I don't appreciate getting ripped off either.

Bottom line is that our fuel cost will only be going up from here. Let's get used to it or find another hobby. This country (under the current political regime) is not going to absorb much investments in oil & gas and we're all going to pay a hefty price for that. By the time the electric or hybrid options become a feasible and affordable thing for mariners, people in my generation may long be gone.

We're quickly moving towards a 4 day work week with day 5 covered by the employer. Only about 35 more days to go right?

People work more than 4 days wk??..
Been working a 4 day wk since 1991
Company now added a (rotate through the crew) 1 payed day off wk when scheduling allows ,works out to every 7wks we get an extra day off with pay, to attract a new full-time staff member.
I may never retire, wait a minute, i feel like I am now, ;)
Sorry op for derail

went from 1.90 to a 2.24 over night think its the biggest increase ive ever seen.

And the gov had an investigation and levied fines when there was price fixing a number of yrs ago of pennys on a loaf of fn bread!!!
This is all a big fu to every Canadian tax payer its rape and pillaging by the governments in the modern world.

Fuel shortage on the west coast.…have a read.

Could have refinery down time due to maintenance as well.

Most lower mainland fuel comes from Puget Sound.

91A2E0BC-E7D2-4329-89CC-F40533AD10CC.png

You would think refineries would plan their maintenance so as not to coincide with other plants.

A West Coast supply problem

The high prices now seen in Vancouver are part of interruptions in regional supply, said Antweiler.

The economist pointed to the Sturgeon Refinery outside Edmonton, Alta., which from Aug. 8 to Sept. 23 closed for scheduled maintenance, inspections, renovations and upgrades.

At the same time, four refineries shut down in California, including one unplanned at the Chevron Richmond Refinery after it reportedly experienced power problems, reported the Santa Rosa Press Democwrat Tuesday.

Meanwhile, there have been other maintenance shutdowns at Washington State’s Ferndale refinery and the Olympic pipeline, which serves refineries in the Pacific Northwest. That has meant oil that could otherwise flow north is staying in local markets.

Even a fire that led to two fatalities earlier this month at an Oregon, Ohio, refinery is having an effect on prices out west, said Antweiler.

It’s all coming at a time when U.S. crude oil production is down over a million barrels a day across the U.S. compared to pre-pandemic levels, added the UBC energy expert.

“It’s all conspiring to create a spike in prices,” he said.

You would think refineries would plan their maintenance so as not to coincide with other plants.

A West Coast supply problem

The high prices now seen in Vancouver are part of interruptions in regional supply, said Antweiler.

The economist pointed to the Sturgeon Refinery outside Edmonton, Alta., which from Aug. 8 to Sept. 23 closed for scheduled maintenance, inspections, renovations and upgrades.

At the same time, four refineries shut down in California, including one unplanned at the Chevron Richmond Refinery after it reportedly experienced power problems, reported the Santa Rosa Press Democwrat Tuesday.

Meanwhile, there have been other maintenance shutdowns at Washington State’s Ferndale refinery and the Olympic pipeline, which serves refineries in the Pacific Northwest. That has meant oil that could otherwise flow north is staying in local markets.

Even a fire that led to two fatalities earlier this month at an Oregon, Ohio, refinery is having an effect on prices out west, said Antweiler.

It’s all coming at a time when U.S. crude oil production is down over a million barrels a day across the U.S. compared to pre-pandemic levels, added the UBC energy expert.

“It’s all conspiring to create a spike in prices,” he said.
"Conspiring" is the right word all right.

$2.35 in Vancouver today. Going to hit $2.40 by tomorrow and that’s where some folks will start looking at their spendings.
I’m still going out for a few trips in October and then see what our winter fisheries are going to bring us this year.

It’s a racket. And the governments are in on it too as their tax haul goes up with the price.
When is the last time you past a gas station that said closed out of gas? At least they could make it look legitimate but none of them even want to be the sacrificial lamb.

Govt. taxes just part of the issue. The bigger issue IMO is oil companies and commodity traders that sell fuel like stockbrokers always raising whenever they can with their BS reasons. The oil companies act like all their maintenance and supply demand issues are big surprises to them and they can't seem to figure out - even though most of them are just good business management 101 and reoccurring issues that follow a known pattern.

Another big problem is when the gas station pays for their tanks to be filled at a certain price then they increase it when the 'stock market' dictates with daily, sometimes hourly price changes. They should sell the tankful at the price they paid for it with a reasonable/regular market to make a profit. Not this price can change 2-3 times a day BS! Why don't they do this with potatoes, meat or clothes, cars, or furniture this way? Because the public would pushback. The reason we don't pushback with fuel is we need it so bad and they know it! Today this pair of pants is $40, tomorrow it will be $50 and the day after that who knows - depends on the market forces and the daily price of cotton and thread - what BS!

Lastly, and the most obvious issue is that ALL the big oil companies are making record profits - gee I wonder why that is - market collusion and price gouging maybe??? This issue is way more complicated then just the govt. taxes on fuel.

Last edited:
Felt like I got a bargain today at $2.09 ltr here in Victoria.
I just back from two weeks in Nova Scotia and was surprised by the recent hikes in fuel prices. I was paying $1.50-$1.54 for the two weeks I was there. A nice change from what I will be forking out going forward. Hopefully there's still a fish or two around to make it easier to take when I fuel up the truck and boat.

It’s a racket. And the governments are in on it too as their tax haul goes up with the price.
When is the last time you past a gas station that said closed out of gas? At least they could make it look legitimate but none of them even want to be the sacrificial lamb.
A few weeks ago there was plenty of gas stations closed with the yellow caution tape blocking all the pumps. Mostly Shell gas stations if I remember correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back