1st Boat Ever - Advice?

Also gonna comment on the downriggers. I'd swap the 1101s for the 1106s (1106 has 30-60" boom). Personally I find braid much nicer to deal with instead of wire so I'd get 1106b model.

FYI the 110x line seems to be rated for 15lb cannonballs. The comment about winter fishing with 18lb balls is because the winter fish can be much deeper. You'll have to upgrade to the 210x line for that

Also, have you considered the heater options? If I was buying that boat I would certainly have a diesel-fired heater installed.

I use 15lbs balls year round. Never had an issue fishing in winter. Stick with 1106 unless you want digital counters you have to replace or warped spools.

I use 15lbs balls year round. Never had an issue fishing in winter. Stick with 1106 unless you want digital counters you have to replace or warped spools.
I also have 1106’s have been super reliable. I did try 18 lb balls last winter and they worked but you could tell it was stressing the rigger. I am going to stick with 15’s this winter.

The wallas diesel heater has been a great addition, and 100% reliable.

Chart plotter is an important option in my opinion. It’s really quite easy to get turned around in poor weather. Edit: Add the remote dedicated GPS antenna if you can swing it. As I’ve just found out, it makes a huge difference to accuracy and time to acquire satellites.

One more thing, swap out the basic spin on fuel filter for a proper Racor with a see through glass bowl.

Last edited:
The wallas diesel heater has been a great addition, and 100% reliable.

Chart plotter is an important option in my opinion. It’s really quite easy to get turned around in poor weather.

One more thing, swap out the basic spin on fuel filter for a proper Racor with a see through glass bowl.

x2 for the chartplotter for safety and the Wallas stove/heater for cooking and heat.

I've taken your guys' advice and upgraded to the 1106s instead of 1101s...

Oh, did I mention I got 2foot-itis while I was waiting for the dust to settle?

I upgraded the entire thing to the Silver Streak Renfrew 21 HT instead lol!! All approved and ready to go!

Also gonna comment on the downriggers. I'd swap the 1101s for the 1106s (1106 has 30-60" boom). Personally I find braid much nicer to deal with instead of wire so I'd get 1106b model.

FYI the 110x line seems to be rated for 15lb cannonballs. The comment about winter fishing with 18lb balls is because the winter fish can be much deeper. You'll have to upgrade to the 210x line for that

Also, have you considered the heater options? If I was buying that boat I would certainly have a diesel-fired heater installed.
Took your advice, and after doing some research, I went with the 1106s with braid!

congrats! 21 ft is a much better buy. cheapest two foot itis is to do it up front.
i second the rocna vulcan anchor. i have 3 of them. work very nicely.
i like all simrad electronics. now that i own raymarine, simrad and garmins i'll take simrad over all of them any day. nss12 evo 3s is awesome.

Last edited:
Back