WTB mid to high end jigging outfit

ExFlyGuy

Looking to buy a mid to high end jigging set up for lings/Hali.

Anyone got one they are looking to get rid of?

Let me know what you got.

I just got a trevala mh 6’6” rod and put a okuma metaloid 12 reel on it. It’s a great set up. Rod was Shipped free from harbour chandler for 199$ Great guys

As Fixit said, have a look at the Shimano Trevala S Jigging rod. These are the rods that waterwolf mentioned in his High-Tech jigging thread. They are outstanding rods. We paired them with the Shimano Calcutta 400D reels. I think the rods were around $200 and the reels around $600. I’m not interested in selling but If you’d like to borrow one for the day to see if that’s the route you’d like to go feel free.

986A1298-8890-4B45-A266-5F50FFAC4F7B.jpeg

bucket.

Thanks @Buckethead905 that is very generous of you!

I was pretty much leaning towards that rod already. Now I just need the stores to open up so I can get in there and man handle some reels!

I believe there was a nice smaller Avet posted for sale not sure if it sold but would pair up beautifully with that rod!

I would recommend going with a Calcutta style reel, not sure what the terminology is for that kind of reel is, but the balance of the reel is far superior to the avet style reels. We have a couple Avets and they’re terribly unbalanced. When you reel it wants to rock and twist the rod in your hand. The Calcutta has the level wind that manages the line as it goes on/off the spool. The spool engage/disengage is also nicer with the thumb button and not the lever on the side of the reel.

One thing to consider is the level wind part of the reel operated in the salt water environment is the weak link from my personal experience

I don't own any high end stuff, but this doesn't look fun.
Finger_Stuck2.JPG

I strongly recommend the penn carnage 2, Get a trevalla and a carnage side by side. Thread the line in eyes and pic up a weight same as you will be using. The test will show you the better rod. Gave away my trevellas long ago, only adding more carnage to the collection. Price is same. High end add a penn international, there's a reason so many blue water sportfishing boats around the world use them.

HM

I have a Shimano Talora,a Shimano Trevalla and the Penn Carnage for my halibut rods.My favourite is the Carnage but I anchor for halibut and rarely jig.If I were jigging I might prefer the Trevalla as it's much lighter and shorter.

If you want, you could end up having a set up that would work for tuna as well.
TLD20 2speed on Trevala. Covers all the bases and not too much $.

Love the Trevala's but I wouldn't go the Calcutta route, they're fun but not the same power and line pickup of other options that are also won't break the bank.

Single speed Shimano Torium or the new Penn Fathom II's are good reels. The 2 speed Avet's are great.... MXJ is still nice and light but a bit more line capacity than say the SXJ but both would be solid, the fathom 2 speed lever drags.

For cleaning purposes the Calcutta is a pain in the butt to do your self, I swapped out the existing drag washers for the carbontex to get a bit more muscle out of it.
I've cleaned my Avet MXJ and JX MCR and it wasn't too bad. The new Penn Fathom II's have easy access to wash it out after every use.

I just got a trevala mh 6’6” rod and put a okuma metaloid 12 reel on it. It’s a great set up. Rod was Shipped free from harbour chandler for 199$ Great guys
Those Metaloid's are sweet reels, I almost picked one up on the cheap but then started reading about the 2nd run of them having a defect which Okuma fixes for free and then they're perfectly solid but I didn't want it crapping out on me the first time out. Okuma is certainly putting out some wicked products now, those Makaira's are beasts.

I strongly recommend the penn carnage 2, Get a trevalla and a carnage side by side. Thread the line in eyes and pic up a weight same as you will be using. The test will show you the better rod. Gave away my trevellas long ago, only adding more carnage to the collection. Price is same. High end add a penn international, there's a reason so many blue water sportfishing boats around the world use them.

HM
Which carnage 2 model are you running?

Love the Trevala's but I wouldn't go the Calcutta route, they're fun but not the same power and line pickup of other options that are also won't break the bank.

Go to the 2:50 mark of the video. I don’t think it’s lacking any power at all. As for the pickup and drag options, the Calcutta has 15lb drag and 30inch retrieve per crank. One crank of the Calcutta is about half the circumference of an avet.

Back