Winter Harbour report ???

M

Mark Jac

I'am a new member & heading out to winters to fish from Aug 18 to the 29th any new reports? Are the springs in any big coho's? Any info is appreciated thanks!

Some friends are there right now. They will be back over the weekend, and I will post information from them.

We went there last week and fishing for springs was great we caught 10 fish over 30lb.(did not keep them all) The Coho was very spotty. We fishing the 500 foot line the first day and 350 the other 4 days did great at both. We fishing deep from 160 to 200 feet and caught all out fish with an ancovy rig. Other people where doing well with the green or glow squid. Good luck. Joe

quote:Originally posted by battaglino

We went there last week and fishing for springs was great we caught 10 fish over 30lb.(did not keep them all) The Coho was very spotty. We fishing the 500 foot line the first day and 350 the other 4 days did great at both. We fishing deep from 160 to 200 feet and caught all out fish with an ancovy rig. Other people where doing well with the green or glow squid. Good luck. Joe

thanks for info battaglino how did you make out in bottom fish? did you do any crabbing?

The bottom fishing was ok the halis where kind of small and we did catch some nice lings but put them all back due to laziness.(no one wanted to clean them) The crabbing sucked I guess they have the otters that have envaded the inlet and they love crab. We did put down pots near the fish pens on the way from Coal harbor and caught a few. The springer fishing well keep you plenty busy.

Buddies just returned from Winters and they all did well. The hali's were all small ie 15 to 30 pound, coho up to 23 pound and some springs up to 30. Weather was very unpredictable calm then windy then calm again with some fog.

Anybody know how bad the water is in Winter Harbour when the NW winds blow as it's forecasting to blow from 20km/h to 40km/h next week when we are there the 19th-23rd. Is the run from Coal harbour still fairly protected and are the spots inside Kains and Cliffe point etc.. still fishable? I was there in June but it never blew more than 15km/h and we went up to 10 miles offshore. Just curious how bad the NW winds are as I know your toast up there if it blows SE. Thanks

SWC

I was in Nootka 2 weeks ago but my boat is called the Knuckle Buster as there is a guy in CR with a boat named Saltwater Cowboy already but that was my nickname growing up so I use it here but didn't want a duplicate name with a boat I see often.

SWC

Ok right on.... was just wondering cuz i saw a whaler out there with Saltwater Cowboy on the side... cheers

Any new reports I leave Saturday and can't hear enough good things!! ANy news on the springs and coho being inside the sound yet? Thanks

SWC

Back