Whats it worth? 80' montauk 17'

smp747

Crew Member
Hey guys looking to list my 1980 whaler 17' that i just finished upgrading and looking do list it due to buying a different boat....

1980 17' whaler- exterior of hull is in good shape, inside is a little worn as expected.
EZ loader trailer- new tires, bearings, electrical, jack, & spare tire
2013 Evenrude E-tech with 103 hours and a extra bottle of oil
Lowrance Elite TI7
Racor fuel filter
2 fuel tanks (9 or 12 gallon)
Seastar hydraulic steering
New coleman extreme cooler with cushion and backrest on center console.
New Todd swivel seats with cushions
All new electrical with blue sea fuse panel. All heat shrink connections.
Scotty downriggers with swivel bases.
Anchor and line.

I bought this boat a couple years ago with the intention of using as a fly fishing vessel for coho's however life has changed course and i am nowhere i can do such a thing anymore. I stripped all the wiring out and upgraded all the seating, fuel system, trailer and cleaned up everything other than the hull...

Its hard to judge a price due to listings on FB being all over the map with montauks, some guys want a lot for them even with worse engines....

Let me know your thoughts...

If anyone is interested, i live in Kitimat but will be heading down to the island fairly soon.

Thanks

20240529_115649.jpg20240529_120110.jpg20240529_120030.jpg20240529_115818.jpg20240529_115832.jpg

Looks like a decent setup. Price is going to be dependent on whether the hull/foam is wet. Is that keel guard intended to protect, or is it hiding a beaten up keel that could be letting water in to soak up the foam?

One pointer: Mix up some oxi-clean in a bucket of hot water, use it to soak the deck and let it sit for an hour - then hit it with a scrub brush or pressure washer. Should peel off the grime without too much effort. A clean boat will always sell easier/faster and get you more money.

Weird to see the throttle mounted on the left side - that would take some getting used to.

Looks like a decent setup. Price is going to be dependent on whether the hull/foam is wet. Is that keel guard intended to protect, or is it hiding a beaten up keel that could be letting water in to soak up the foam?

One pointer: Mix up some oxi-clean in a bucket of hot water, use it to soak the deck and let it sit for an hour - then hit it with a scrub brush or pressure washer. Should peel off the grime without too much effort. A clean boat will always sell easier/faster and get you more money.

Weird to see the throttle mounted on the left side - that would take some getting used to.
Appreciate the feedback. I am gonna scrub it before i post..The keelguard came with it so unknown what's underneath.

Seems fairly dry, I've had it sloped upwards for the past 3 years in the garage and no water leakage at the hulll drain..
I drilled a thru-hull in the transom for the bilge line and it was dry.

All good signs.

Here's a comparable that's for sale in Vancouver:

Your E-tec is has way lower hours/newer, but has a reputation as not very desirable. Hard to say if yours is worth more/less/same, but its going to be ballpark similar. Your console isn't original, there is no teak, no upholstery/bench, etc, and no bow railing - so its not going to be at the top end of the market. But on the plus side, if hull checks out and engine runs nicely - should sell for fair market value.

For peace of mind, I'd probably swap out the polly fuel tanks.. they look a little uv beat -- otherwise a nice package. Good luck with sale.

For peace of mind, I'd probably swap out the polly fuel tanks.. they look a little uv beat -- otherwise a nice package. Good luck with sale.
Or at least use a vinyl/plastic conditioner to give them some colour back. See how that turns out.

I have a 1977 17' hull. It wouldn't surprise me if your boat was a Campbell River tiller guide boat converted to console. Only having side rails is a clue. Hydraulic steering is nice as are your other upgrades, like the nav lights.

I just insured my hull for $4500 and like to think I could get $11,000 for the package.
A new motor would be 10k and I probably would still only have a boat worth 16k.

I can't tell if the guides are disappointed in my decision making or envious of my fuel bill when I see them at Rat's Nose on a clear, low swell day.
They make for a safe ride, but will shorten your spine if you don"get off the throttle early enough sometimes.

Good luck with the sale.

I agree with the post suggesting your Whaler started life as a bare hull that was converted at some point, first registered in Campbell River.

A Montauk from that era (we owned one) had a fibreglass console, binnacle mounted control, plus a bow rail & grab rail around the console. Pilot chairs or teak reversible pilot seat at the helm. It be fair to call your boat a custom 17’ centre console.

It’ll be a great boat for someone for sure. Such a great hull to fish out of and will probably outlast all of us. If the waterline is below the bottom paint line, it won’t be too wet. I’m thinking $10-12k …maybe slightly more.

Last edited:
Back