17' Arima Sea Ranger (1987) update

chille51

Hey all, mentioned this on the boats for sale thread, but I just took possession of one that was posted there a couple weeks ago. 17' Arima Sea Ranger on a trailer, 1987, with a 90's era, well maintained 75hp Honda. No kicker. It has been pretty well maintained by the 2nd owners, with records of all work for the last 14 years. That said, it's not a new boat and there is some stuff it needs, and other stuff I want. I wouldn't call it a restore... call it an update. So figured I'd post the progress here and hopefully get some helpful advice along the way. Here's a few pics.20230612_183858.jpg

20230612_184138.jpg
20230612_184124.jpg

First on the docket is some fibreglass repairs. Going to get some estimates from the shops here in town or if anyone knows a good private guy for this kind of work in the Nanaimo area I am all ears. I have no personal experience with gelcoat repairs, and am inclined to get this initial work done by someone who does, and do my learning with the general maintenance going forward. For the keel, I intend to add a keel guard eventually so not overly concerned with a perfect colour match.

20230612_184017.jpg

Attachments

• 20230612_184054.jpg
    20230612_184054.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 47
After your repairs, install a keel gaurd.
best money you'll spend on saving your fibreglass.
100% already part of the plan. As a result, I'm not so concerned with colour matching in that area since the keel guard will cover it. Even considered just using Marine Tex for that spot. Other areas that will remain visible obviously looking for as good a match as I can get.

Boat was dropped off at the fibreglass doctor for assessment and quote today. Can we talk kickers? It doesn't currently have one, nor a bracket. There is an original adapter plate, which a bracket was intended to be attached to. See pics below. I am debating whether I should/could try and find a kicker bracket that will match up to this, and if so if it will be strong enough for a modern 4 stroke, preferably with charging capabilities. Other option would be a new fixed bracket, which would require new mounting holes. I'd rather not put any more holes in the boat than I have to, and if I can use what's already there that'd be great. But I also would rather not have a kicker break off the back and sink, or fly off on the road. I think looking at the Arima forums that 8hp would be enough, max 9.9. Preferably high thrust. Experiences with the best options in those range are welcome... could consider both new and quality used. What do you all think?

20230626_184938.jpg
20230626_184900.jpg
20230626_184917.jpg

I think it depends on where and how far offshore you are fishing.
A well maintained main motor will get you around in most inshore areas
with little problems.

I can't tell you how many times a second motor has saved me over the years. I would never go on ocean without one personally. Near shore or not.
I'm a fairly risk averse kind of guy. Not discounting the troll on the main perspective, and I won't be going too far offshore for sure... but call me paranoid I just like the idea of a backup plan. And not piling the hours all on the one motor too.

Bite Me 2 fixed bracket work very well made in Sooke. I had a 8 hp Yamaha on my 17 that worked very well especially after I changed prop for more push. ITroll was very nice to have as well.

I'm a fairly risk averse kind of guy. Not discounting the troll on the main perspective, and I won't be going too far offshore for sure... but call me paranoid I just like the idea of a backup plan. And not piling the hours all on the one motor too.

Yeah I don't like piling trolling hours on main either.

Coho are biting hard. Get out there.

Bite Me 2 fixed bracket work very well made in Sooke. I had a 8 hp Yamaha on my 17 that worked very well especially after I changed prop for more push. ITroll was very nice to have as well.
Thanks for the reminder. They came up on the Arima forums and I forgot all about it.

Kickers give some options. As already posted, they save piling up hours on the main, and long periods of low rpm aren't necessarily good hours.

A kicker is your "get me home" motor if something goes awry. A friend with a cabin near ours runs across the SoG from Nanaimo every weekend, whatever the weather. Full floater suits every time, and if it's blowing at all, the kicker is in the water, running and linkage attached before they cast off. Lose main power in a blow and you have only seconds to regain steerage or you're beam-on to the swell. So that kicker should have its own separate fuel supply, and be just as fussy with kicker maintenance as you are with the main.

There are times when you want to go even slower than 2.5 mph, eg, sockeye, or rainbows on the big interior lakes. Or if you're jigging, bumping the boat in and out of reverse to keep lures dropping vertically.

Kicker and main, or twin mains. Size the kicker generously. Yes, 8 hp will be fine on a 17.5 ft hull for most trolling situations with wind and current included. But most outboard makers build their 8 hp and 9.9 on the same block, so get the extra 25% power, it won't weigh any more but it'll get you home quicker if the main schitts the bed.

Back