17' Arima Sea Ranger (1987) update

Kickers give some options. As already posted, they save piling up hours on the main, and long periods of low rpm aren't necessarily good hours.

A kicker is your "get me home" motor if something goes awry. A friend with a cabin near ours runs across the SoG from Nanaimo every weekend, whatever the weather. Full floater suits every time, and if it's blowing at all, the kicker is in the water, running and linkage attached before they cast off. Lose main power in a blow and you have only seconds to regain steerage or you're beam-on to the swell. So that kicker should have its own separate fuel supply, and be just as fussy with kicker maintenance as you are with the main.

There are times when you want to go even slower than 2.5 mph, eg, sockeye, or rainbows on the big interior lakes. Or if you're jigging, bumping the boat in and out of reverse to keep lures dropping vertically.

Kicker and main, or twin mains. Size the kicker generously. Yes, 8 hp will be fine on a 17.5 ft hull for most trolling situations with wind and current included. But most outboard makers build their 8 hp and 9.9 on the same block, so get the extra 25% power, it won't weigh any more but it'll get you home quicker if the main schitts the bed.
Thanks. That all completely aligns with my thinking. It might be an older kicker to start with, bought used with a plan to replace in a few years. But it's still 100% more redundancy than I have currently. Or maybe I'll just go ahead and pony up for something newer. Kind of depends how the costs for other work goes.

Thanks. That all completely aligns with my thinking. It might be an older kicker to start with, bought used with a plan to replace in a few years. But it's still 100% more redundancy than I have currently. Or maybe I'll just go ahead and pony up for something newer. Kind of depends how the costs for other work goes.
Good old used kicker are four words that do not go well together.

I'm betting that Honda will idle down so nicely you'll troll with it regardless.
I see the benefit of a kicker as an auxiliary, just have to make sure it will start when you need it.

Lol, wow really started an unintended debate here! I hear both sides of the kicker and no kicker argument, and plenty folks here with way more experience than me arguing both sides. I feel like this is one of those debates that really comes down to everyone's individual opinion and risk tolerance. For me, I'm a scaredy cat I guess. I'll be getting a kicker.

Lol, wow really started an unintended debate here! I hear both sides of the kicker and no kicker argument, and plenty folks here with way more experience than me arguing both sides. I feel like this is one of those debates that really comes down to everyone's individual opinion and risk tolerance. For me, I'm a scaredy cat I guess. I'll be getting a kicker.
No debate. Either way has worked well for both sides of the conversation. You do what’s best for you.

Never forget you have an excellent anchor.
My whole commercial fishing career was done with one engine for propulsion.
Yes. How many lodge boats are there that only have one motor. Sure they have buddy boats around but modern four strokes are incredibly reliable.

Yes. How many lodge boats are there that only have one motor. Sure they have buddy boats around but modern four strokes are incredibly reliable.
Not just a case of reliability for me, I have one for a few reasons, Fuel being one, and is going to be more of a reason as we go along, wear and tear, so far I have saved over 400 hrs. on my main by having a kicker, which I feel is a win, easy to drop and change 1 liter opposed to changing my 150 merc. oil. and will be more attractive when we go to upgrade having way less hours even if they are "Mostly" trolling hours, and like others have said, I am an inlander who does 2 trips a summer, just feels better knowing I have 2 just incase. My friends call me Prepary Gary, hahaha, not the worst nickname I have been given! After years on SAR I am just simply more comfortable having a kicker, but we each decide how much risk we are willing to take.

and are mostly leased and switched out every 2 years, Bridgeview will sell you one of the houred up ones.

Good old used kicker are four words that do not go well together.
I shouldn't have said old, what I meant was used. But point taken, I imagine the good deals are fairly hard to come by, and most of the time they are selling them for a reason. Are you suggesting it is not worth keeping an eye out for a relatively new, low hours used kicker, perhaps even with some warranty remaining? I realize I just described a unicorn, and I haven't really done a lot of looking other than passive browsing yet. Also haven't been in to talk to a shop about the new options yet either. Accepting the answer to the debate of whether I need one or not is up to me, what's the best approach to get best bang for the buck?

Look for used first. There are deals if you are patient. I haven’t bought one in awhile but my last kicker was a 2000 8hp Yamaha that was rarely used I got for $900. One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is often kickers don’t get used because it’s inconvenient or too much trouble for many so lots of life in them when they come up.

Used kicker is a good place to start. Step into a dealership with new units on the rack and you'll realize these are the most expensive outboards on the market on a per-hp basis.

Seeking out one with some warranty still on the books is actually worth considering. The first owner has taken most of the depreciation hit, and there's some peace of mind if there's a major mechanical blowup. How much is warranty worth? Hard to quantify, but a lot less than on a 4 or 6 cylinder outboard. Those small twins are pretty easy to work and parts cost less because there's fewer of them.

Last point in favour of warranty, even if just a month or two remaining: warranty paperwork in hand should mean the kicker isn't stolen. And that's a real risk, heaps of 9.9s are stolen in BC every year.

It’s not a matter of being a scardy cat, more about risk management

Yeah, thought about that and on sea trial the main idled at about 2.5 mph according to the GPS, so it's an option. I do like to have a backup though, especially with a main that is over 20 years old.
Another advantage with a kicker you can troll in the back using the tiller ,were I think you are more in control.And when you get a fish it is much easier than run back and forth to the front of the boat.

And a good anchor

Just wait until you ask us where to mount your downriggers!
This is cheaper than professional therapy, and we have issues!

Back