what to buy???

ratherbefishing

Hi all,
Relocating back to the Island (finally!) and am in the market for a new or a new to me boat. Looking for something up to about 19ft and am debating the cuddy vs 'standard' set-up and new vs used. My wife would surely enjoy the additional coverage a cuddy provides (plus I am still keen on sleeping in the boat if conditions allow). I know the options are endless and opinions about the same but I will venture into requesting thoughts here should anyone wish to provide some words of advice. At this point, I am debating something used with the works already together and slightly larger or new everything (i.e. new Double Eagle 166 rigged out vs used 18' Campion rigged out). I've owned a few boats and operated many and like the knowledge of 'new' but I am just plain spinning my wheels right now. I am looking at 30K all in. Guess it is a tough problem to have?
Thanks in advance.

Why not consider a boat that doesn't sink? Here's a great classic whaler for sale right here on SFBC http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7561
I have a 20 foot version of this boat and I like it alot. I've fished out of many different types of boats and prefer the Whalers. not just for saftey, but also for the ride. I'm amazed at how many times I think the boat is going to "botom out" with a thud when I go over waves to just have it come down like it is on a cusion of air! Go knock around on some hulls.. you'll hear that the Campion one sounds hollow, the Doub Eagle is a good boat though, but when u go knock on a whalers hull you'll hear no echo and your knuckles will hurt.

One of my fishing buddies has a 16 foot Double Eagle its a great little boat we fish in Barclay sound with it every September,only thing is when I start moving around in it,he has to jump from side to side to keep it some what level.I'm 6'2" 260 lbs.We call it the little boat that can do it.Another fellow that fishes with us has a 542 campion it is a good boat also,he seems very pleased with it,I haven't been out in it so I couldn't offer an opion about it.I myself have the 185 Double Eagle cuddy style,it has plenty of room and is very stable,After fishing in it this season I would highly recomend it as a good all around boat,the boat will definately handle more than I can,you'll have to spend a little more than 30k though,for both of those boats.Another thing might be to check out the Malibu Tyee's there is a dealership in Port Alberni just past Dick's Market on 10th ave there was some VERY GOOD pricing on complete new boat packages there,name of the place slips my mind,CHECK IT OUT.Good Luck.DAN

I run a Campion 542 with a 135 merc outboard. It is a great all round boat in all types of weather. I would like to have a camper top to it rather than the sloped back. Has a cuddy up front but it is only about 5'10 long. Both seats do fold down.

Back