what should I do ?? can this be welded

• Thread starter Thread starter saltybeaver
  • Start date Start date
S

saltybeaver

Dont really want to talk about what happend because I dont have an answer.:(
I'm more worried about the mount bracket then the bottom fin. any body recomend anybody for the welding ??nanaimo?

DSC01621.jpg

DSC01619.jpg

DSC01622.jpg

DSC01616.jpg

Ouch,phone my buddy Rocky in Victoria.Lejeune performance and fabricating 381 4513 Russel is the best welder I know.DAN

The skeg (the bottom part) can be repaired for sure. You remove the old part and weld on a new one. I had mine renewed last year for $100. For this you simply remove the leg from the motor, just as is done when you replace the water pump. No big thing.

With the other part, you may want to replace the part. Price things out: How much to repair/weld it? How much for a new part? How much for a used part if one can be found? The motor will need to come off the boat for this repair, and you likely need to take the piece off the motor no matter what. So you may just want to replace the broken part, especially if you could find an inexpensive used replacement. I don't know that welding will return things to as good as new in looks or stength. I'd replace it. And I'd look on ebay for the used part too.

Hope this helps.

Smacked my 115 hp awhile back , skeg and bracket but not a clean break such as you show , and took it to Lifetimer in Duncan they welded it together and have not had any problems since then.

AL

Thanks for your guys help...........So I have run into a little bit of a problem with the shift rod with goes through the part I'm replacing. I have disconnected the bottom of the shift rod but there is not enough play to slide the (mount shaft ?) off that is broken. It looks like I have to pull the rod out the top of the engine which means taking off the carb and all the parts around it.
I have been told that a manual will not have this info in it. Has anybody had to take the shift rod out of there engine before is there an easier way?? Yamaha 2005 8T

I believe you need to take the power head off to change the shift rod.
In that case it seems to me that it must be removed to accomplish what you need to do.

AL

yes alley cat thats what it looks like I have to do. thanks.
fun stuff!

i was able to take the swivel bracket of a t9.9 without pulling the rod or head. The shift rod was about 1/16 inch too long (or maybe longer) to remove the bracket, and I was able to jimmy it with a screwdriver to get the bracket off. same think to replace it. I found a swivel bracket used for $25 by posting in the SEattle craigslist. It's worth a try. somebody might have a blown engine that they are parting out.

So I manged to pull the gear rod out the top after removing some wires .
next problem ....Not sure what it is called so we will call it a pivot shaft .I can figure out how to pull it away from the engine it doesnt look like it is bolted in I see some sort of rubber mounts in the hole any sugestions how to get this off the engine

DSC01632.jpg

DSC01628.jpg

DSC01626.jpg

DSC01625.jpg

Let your insurance agent sort it out.

As to your question, Skeg I think can be repaired but I don't think you can weld the other major break (cast parts thing)...but maybe I don't know ****e.

Back