What is lost... shall be found. Shout out to Foghorn fishing Charters

Hot-Streak

I just want to send a quick shout-out and thanks to Foghorn fishing charters.

Set some traps out about 1 week ago the gear got washed out to sea in the strong currents. I had gone past the spot a few times again to see if it was near there and no sign of my floats. I figured they had got sucked out with the strong tide.

Then yesterday I was at my boat sorting out my lures and gear when I get a call. A friendly voice asked my name and and when I said yes asked if I had lost some traps. I excitedly answered YES! Well the owner of Foghorn fishing charters had been out and had seen my float around the past few days moving about.

He decided to pick it up, saw everything was in a tangle and called my number on the float. He also graciously offered to bring them back and I met his boat with mine and we did a transfer. I only had a few bucks in my wallet but I put that in a ziplock and wrapped it onto two beers. When I offered he tried to refuse but I insisted he take it as a token of my appreciation.

Me and my buddy and he and his buddy then and a fun conversation about how we each had found floats and how far they had sometimes drifted (such as the one that was found from Puget sound etc.

Just wanted to post this so people know what kind of decent and stand up guy that runs foghorn charters. I will be happy to recommend him to my friends in the future.

Make sure your floats are marked!!! .... Tight lines everyone!

Last edited:
Gord is a good guy and one of the few other charter guys I work with when I need an extra boat for a larger group or for my over flow. He has an halibut anchor setup stuck on something heavy right now ...had a commercial boat with hydraulics haul on it and got to the chain and no further. He figures its a big cable of some type. Going to try again and worst case he will get all his rope back.

Gord is a good guy and one of the few other charter guys I work with when I need an extra boat for a larger group or for my over flow. He has an halibut anchor setup stuck on something heavy right now ...had a commercial boat with hydraulics haul on it and got to the chain and no further. He figures its a big cable of some type. Going to try again and worst case he will get all his rope back.
what area is he hooked up on....would help if we avoid that spot.

Not sure never asked..just said 250ft of water.

I'll say this once, put at weak rope (one strand from a 3 strand rope as an example) around the anchor and to the very end of the anchor chain. So that this weak strand breaks and you only lose an anchor. I've used this set up ever since Benny showed me. This year I have lost 3 anchors but no rope and chain. Safety first as you don't want to sink your boat for an anchor set up. This happens always in rocky areas that I like to explore for new spots, as not very many people are willing to try. My guess he is stuck around the Mud Hole. Arrogance won't save you but smarts will.
Are you also using a Zip tie at the top of the anchor with the chain secured to the bottom? I wouldn't be happy if I lost three anchors, for the 3 hali I've caught this year.

Nice on the trap return.

Are you also using a Zip tie at the top of the anchor with the chain secured to the bottom? I wouldn't be happy if I lost three anchors, for the 3 hali I've caught this year.

Nice on the trap return.
Again I've said too much as you obviously don't get it. just trying to help, not my fault your cheap.

Back