What is all this, and what should I do with it?

Olde School

Hello.

I am helping my father outfit his new-to-him boat, a 1994 Campion Victoria 215.
This mess is in the port side rear compartment.
It appears to be part of an aux steering system. One switch is on-off, the other is center off and each side of that is on momentary.
There is no action from the system, no ram on the kicker. All I have done is pull the hose connection inside the compartment to tidy up the kicker work area.

We wish to make it work on the existing 15hp Honda kicker; or tear it all out to make room for battery #2.

Any thoughts?
Dad wants everything made solid on the boat, without spending all of his retirement funds.
Any recommendations for someone who would know what to do with this mess in the NanaimoéParksville areaÉ

More pics in next post

Thanks in advance.

Smiley.

internalwiringswitchescloseup.jpg

internalwiringdeadend.jpg

internalwiringboxwiredetail.jpg

internalwiringboxcloseup.jpg

Looks like a small pump drive for a hydraulic cylinder. Switch one is to power the system, switch two the momentary to run the pump direction. The tank you show in picture 2 would have had some kind of hydraulic fluid hopefully a vegetable oil base in it. The previous owner would have had a cylinder connected to his kicker and not sure if you have one or two hoses from this unit to the kicker cylinder. One hose and it would be spring return (i.e. inside the cylinder there would be a spring that when you released the pressure the cylinder arm would retract or extend depending on the type you had) Two hoses and one would connect to each end od the cylinder and you would pressurize it to move the direction of the arm.
If you have no power to the motor and pump assembly, I think I would be inclined to look at replacing it with something complete as this does look homebuilt and there is a number of wiring connections there that are just plain scary.
I would see what you can find out from the previous owner he may have the parts you need in his garage.

The multi coloured conductors and the hydraulic pump cover with the lone screw on top looks like a Bennett Hydraulic trim tab pump. Whatever it all is it has been farmer fixed and needs to ripped out. I think I can see random strands of wire sticking out of lousy taped up connections which coud result in arcing which could result in fire. Trace and remove.

Last edited by a moderator:
The multi coloured conductors and the hydraulic pump cover with the lone screw on top looks like a Bennett Hydraulic trim tab pump. Whatever it all is it has been farmer fixed and needs to ripped out. I think I can see random strands of wire sticking out of lousy taped up connections which coud result in arcing which could result in fire. Trace and remove.

That's exactly what it is! Bennett Trim Tab Pump and wiring harness. Are the tabs still mounted on the boat. If so I'd get things hooked up and working again. You'll want them on a boat that size.
Dave

Thanks so far, everyone.
BTW the question is about the unit labelled "Goetz", and the nearby box containing wires, not the Bennett HPU.
Anyone know much about Goetz?
Smiley.

So...got a bit antsy today and broke out the sidecutters.
The internet has little to no info on the Goetz system pictured so I wasn't confident in getting much help or service to resurrect it.
After carefully tracing all the lines extracted it all.
Now we have a clean corner as well as all of the Goetz components less the steering ram.
Any takers?

Smiley.

Back