West Coast Haida Gwaii Fishing Report

steelie,
thanks.
did James leave WCR all together ?
Thinking about coming up, but have some family health issues that currently are making planning a bit difficult.
I love Englefield. In 2006 , partner I caught a 63 and 55 back to back one morning ! Best time I ever had fishing. Ask KGB, he was our guide for part .
Love to hear updates from onsite folks there on the fishing.
Thanks.

steeliehead what lodge are you at? whos got the big one outta the outfitters boys?

Englefield Bay and Rex Coburn has the 38lb spring with Roy Coburn next with a 31lb spring. Outfitters did well with half a dozen or more in the high twenties.

just heard it was REALLY slow on springs - decent weather - no fish to speak of- ?? Lot of work , little result as if fish just not there ??

Thought you guy's would like to see the first fish report out of Hippa- It's going to be pretty nice off the WCVI shortly [:p]

RYAN ORR
operations | lodge manager, HIPPA ISLAND

West Coast Resorts - We’re just BETTER at it!
phone: 604.278.3130

cell: 778.839.1669
toll free: 1.800.810.8933
http://www.westcoastresorts.com

Hippa Island Fishing Report – May 31st, 2010

We have just started our third trip and I am delighted to sit down and write the first official lodge report of the 2010 season. The weather gods granted us a fantastic tow up here, our rig-up went extremely well, and by the time our first guests arrived on May 22nd, the crew was chomping at the bit to get the season rolling. We have certainly assembled an excellent crew this season; with the usual mix of a few new faces, a few older faces, and a few that just never seem to leave!

Now I know everybody is wondering, how is the fishing? Well, in one word, excellent. Just like we experienced in May last season, the spring salmon fishing has started off incredibly strong. On days when the boats have been able to get on the outside (which has been most days so far) most boats have easily limited out on springs. On some of the hotter days, many boats were limited out by 8 am! When the “bite” has been on, double and triple headers have been commonplace. It seems that the spring salmon are here with a vengeance.

One noticeable difference between this season and last season has been the average size of the springs. Much like we anticipated for this season, the average size has been at least 3-5 lbs larger than last season. Last year, the average size at this time seemed to be in the 15-20 lb range and this season it is definitely in the 20-25 lb range. The have not been a huge number of big fish but there has been at least one tyee almost every day. The largest spring of the season (so far) was a beautiful 37 lber pulled in by first time salmon fisherman, Grant Gladish. Nice work Grant!

As for the hotspots, they seemed to have shifted slightly from day to day but in general all of our favourite spots have been producing. Much like this time last season, Freeman Rocks has produced very strong results, with the added benefit of very strong bottom fishing (more on that later). The Lighthouse and Next Rock have also produced quite consistent results. In terms of depth, springs have been found everywhere from 20-100 feet deep and the majority seem to be around 40-70 feet deep. It probably won’t surprise too many people to hear that a cut-plug herring has once again been the bait of choice.

With the strong salmon fishing, we have had ample opportunity to focus on the bottom and so far we have had mixed results. Freeman Rocks has produced fantastic ling cod and critter fishing as well as a decent number of halibut. Some nice halibut have also been caught around Next Rock and Sadler Island but for the most part, boats have had to put in some time to find the halis. We have not had any really big halibut yet but a number in the ideal 30-60 lb range. So far, the largest of the season has been a 65 lber caught by Larry Faulkner.

What about the weather? I don’t think many people will be surprised to hear that we have experienced a little of everything. For the most part the weather has been great and we just experienced three consecutive days of near ideal weather which certainly contributed to the catch totals. We have also experienced one nasty gale which forced the boats to fish inside Hippa Island and around Nesto Inlet. This certainly brought down the total number of salmon caught but almost every spring that was brought in was a tyee. What can I say, a typical inside fishery. Looking ahead, it looks like we have a little nasty weather on the way but this should hopefully move through quickly. As is always the case in Haida Gwaii, things change fast, so be ready for anything.

If you have recently visited Hippa, thank you for joining us and we hope to see you again. For those of you who have a trip planned to Hippa in the near future, the staff and I look forward to your arrival. If you have any questions or comments feel free to e-mail me at rorr@westcoastresorts.com.

Ryan Orr

Lodge Manager, Hippa Island

Sounds like they're having some decent fishing. However, "limiting" out by 8 am isn't such a big deal, even in slow fishing in the Charlottes. The entire West side of the Charlottes offers plenty of bottom fish and Hali's...you just have to seek the Hali's out sometimes. Shouldn't be an issue to limit on bottomfish. One big problem about Hippa is that if there are no fish on the inside, then you're in trouble, and the outside can offer some really big water if it works out that way..and there won't be many going outside.

Anyways folks, if you're headed that way, enjoy and boat safe.

Let's hope Englefield has blown off their 50lber for the season & cannot catch anymore for at least a week.;)I'm heading for Whale Channel for the big Derby but it's Englefield that usually pulls the winning fish:D

48lber at Whale Channel is looking good, leading here at Englefield is a 35lb spring. Also fishing is really good right now, with most boats getting into over 20 springs a day.

Your killing me Steelie arn't you glad you didn't stay and guide on the west coast this year.

Couple of things on Hippa as I just got back on tuesday,with limits in everything and I have been going to the "other" lodge which has been there for 10 years not 2.They do get fish on the inside 33 and a 30 off clunk reef this year and in 2007 we caught 70 springs in 2 weeks within sight of the lodge in Nesto.The record chinooks caught at Charllotte Queen 69 and 68 were both caught on the inside.. The fish this year were all over some deep and some in on the kelp line.The big one on are trip was a 33 caught in 60 feet of water right beside my boat while my dad was wrestling a ling aboard.No place like it during the summer but when its nasty weather it is really tough fishing, talked to the head honcho yesterday 6 fish on 2 to the boat. [B)]

Fishing is really slow for salmon at the moment. Weather may have a bit to do with this as we can't get out to fish our prime grounds and it doesn't lokk like it will change much ine the next few days. 3 fish over 40 lbs were brought in the last 3 days.

Fish in another lodge in Charlotte area last week & the weather kicked the **** out of us. Fishing was still alright but if we got the good weather it would have been red hot.[:p]

Spring fishing is picking up, it has been slow the last week. Halibut fishing is still going really strong with a 187lber leading for the season.

Chinook fishing is really good this past week and still going strong. Big fish of the week goes to a 56lb beauty. Numbers for a day would be between 20-30 springs per boat.

Back