Weather thread ?

Lighthouse reports made by actual people were always superior to the automated bouy reports, which seem to go off line during heavy weather.

Member weather reports sounds great!

So, is the purpose of this thread to explore various ways to get good intel about weather and on-water conditions? If that is the case, couple of things I check before heading offshore...

1) Windy - great app, pretty easy to understand as it gives a simple view of wind and wave direction and intensity hour by hour. Always helpful to scroll across the upcoming day to see how it predicts conditions to change

2) Predict Wind - same as Windy except a lot more different predictive models and wave heights and period. I want to know the wave period as a critical element of understanding what will really be happening. Wind is one thing, wave period is just a critical

3) Ocean Buoy reports - I like to pull those up not just for the area I fish, but also to understand what its doing further up the hill to judge how things will shift.

Other considerations will be shoreline effects, which once you understand them are predictable. Always keep my eye on what's going on and look for signs (line black line on horizon) of changes that were not forecast.

Sometimes the observations at lighthouses are helpful, but I take those with a grain of salt as things are always way, way different offshore.

What might be the most useful is a thread devoted to inaccurate forecasts provided in the moment - i.e. "I'm out here now and it's nothing like the forecast" (good or bad). This is essentially what webcams offer, but we could expand their reach. The downside is that there's not much incentive to post unless it's worse weather than forecast.

What might be the most useful is a thread devoted to inaccurate forecasts provided in the moment - i.e. "I'm out here now and it's nothing like the forecast" (good or bad). This is essentially what webcams offer, but we could expand their reach. The downside is that there's not much incentive to post unless it's worse weather than forecast.
Whatcha mean would be always on here lol

I basically look at the halibut bank data for wave height, duration and wind direction then have at it based on the tides for bombing around the centtal straits. It's inaccurate af but I'm ok with life marginally on the edge haha...who remembers the cknw marine forecast reports? Used to listen to these all the time as a kid so I could escape on the 12' sears tinny with the utter pos Chrysler 8hp, man I miss those days!

Back