Washdown pump

K

Kramer

I need to install a new saltwater washdown pump. I've seen a lot of different makes and models and wanted to get some recommendations from those that have used them in the same manner I intend to (pumping seawater to wash deck, fish holds, etc.). Would like pretty decent power for blowing scales/blood, etc. and want it to last longer than a season or two. I can run either 12V or 24V system (I have heard the 24V are easier on juice and may not be so hard on the motors). Also interested to hear what fitting types you guys recommend. The snap fitting kind seem like they may leak over time so I've stayed away from those so far. Also thought about T-ing off my freshwater tank with a ball valve to flush the pump. Thoughts?

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Ive been running the "washdown" pump on my boat for 4 years now no problem, on the old boat had it in there for close to 10 years its the one with the O ring snap clip type sorry dont know the name pretty powerful can spray at least 25 ft or so out (trying to hit other boats) LOL. its about 10 inches lonh with the in and out connectors on the top of it.
The trick I think is to have them protected as mine is not exposed to the spray of water or deck hidden in a access hatch with a coily hose coming out of it,
You dont need to flush them as its all Stainless inside so they last.

Trotac has them as well as other places ask paul down there hes knows which one is in my boat.

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

mine is also in a stern locker. all hose connections are topped with stainless hose clamps. ball valve to the intake allows you to shut the supply off if you choose. important that you also install some sort of supply filter inline before the pump. mine is a clear composite spin off, easy to get too.

I have had: Flojet, Jabsco, and Shurflo. All in different boats! :D

Really haven't had a problem with any of them. But, I would probably lean towards the Shurflo? And, unless there is a reason... I would probably stay with the 12 volt?

Sureflo pro-blaster is my choice. They have 3 choices, each with more GPM than the next, price goes up with GPM. I put an inline 3 way valve between the seacock and the pump. I attached a short piece of hose to the valve on the open side. When I'm finished with the pump for the day I stick the hose in a bucket of fresh water and run it through the pump to flush it. I have a screw on/off brass cap on the end of the hose to close it off as well. The hose is just long enough to reach down into the bilge as well so it could be used as an additional bilge pump in an emergency.

PF
I agree % 100 , I just did the exact same , I have a 50psi , I believe is how it was rated , major pressure , the only thing I did different , i integrated the fresh water hose like you did , to my fresh water tank on board , use this at the end of the day to blast my gear , clean out the pump , also on a 3 way mannual valve,Raw or fresh, works better than i invisioned ,great mod
Cheers , FD...;)

IMG_1356-1-1-1.jpg

Thanks guys. The blaster was at the top of my list so that's what it'll be. I will also run the freshwater cleanout as well. Just wanted to see others experiences so I appreciate the help.

Thanks again.

Back