Washdown pump install question

N2013

After a couple close calls scooping water with a bucket, I’ve decided to get a wash-down pump. I’m avoiding using a below water line thru hull and will be running a hose through my motor-well and over the transom. Using a variety of fittings and will be able to mount the inlet off my upper motor mount bolt. Im just working out the best way to run/seal the hose thru the motor well. I believe I’ll be using 3/4” inside diameter hose so the outside will probably be 1 1/8 or so. The motor well is about 1/2” thick roughly. Initially im thinking to just drill a hole, put a couple coats resin around the hole, run the hose through, then run some skates around the edge. I’m thinking a piece of flexible rubber sheet around the hose that runs through the motor well. Open to input and suggestions. 185 DE.

Attachments

• IMG_5686.jpeg
    IMG_5686.jpeg
    134.7 KB · Views: 48
After a couple close calls scooping water with a bucket, I’ve decided to get a wash-down pump. I’m avoiding using a below water line thru hull and will be running a hose through my motor-well and over the transom. Using a variety of fittings and will be able to mount the inlet off my upper motor mount bolt. Im just working out the best way to run/seal the hose thru the motor well. I believe I’ll be using 3/4” inside diameter hose so the outside will probably be 1 1/8 or so. The motor well is about 1/2” thick roughly. Initially im thinking to just drill a hole, put a couple coats resin around the hole, run the hose through, then run some skates around the edge. I’m thinking a piece of flexible rubber sheet around the hose that runs through the motor well. Open to input and suggestions. 185 DE.
I am thinking of doing the same, already have the washdown kit but the bucket has worked well thus far. Doesn't the wash down pump dictate the size of the hose you will be using for the pickup diameter? Or is that already confirmed at 3/4" ?

I just run a pickup hose off the back of the pod running with the transducer cable. Got a strainer head at the end. Works great

I don’t have any holes in my hull
Where does the hose go through the boat to attach to the wash down pump? Existing rubber boot?

I just run a pickup hose off the back of the pod running with the transducer cable. Got a strainer head at the end. Works great

I don’t have any holes in my hull

A
I am thinking of doing the same, already have the washdown kit but the bucket has worked well thus far. Doesn't the wash down pump dictate the size of the hose you will be using for the pickup diameter? Or is that already confirmed at 3/4" ?

Where does the hose go through the boat to attach to the wash down pump? Existing rubber boot?

It’s a Jabasco and says 3/4” bore hose size. I don’t mind the bucket but it caught me a couple times and made me slip. Don’t feel like doing a cold plunge.

there’s a number of options that come to mind what I would do is a Washdown hose bulkhead fitting with a threaded 90 to hose barb and then run some braided pvc hose down the transom. Multiple options to secure that and depending what’s already there you could cable tie it to something, or use stainless cable straps.

Could also use a blue seas cable clam with some pvc run through but the threaded bulkhead fitting would be cleaner.

If you want the pump to work at speed google “transom mounted water pickup” not really necessary but you could buy or copy a design and build your own if you would like that option.

I’ll try to get some photos of mine tomorrow when it’s light out. Mine goes up and over the transom. no more holes in the boat and goes up well above water line so won’t flood the boat if it springs a leak. I used the existing boot for controls or steering to run the water line. Just cheap clear tubing with the mesh in it. And a few gardena quick connect fittings. The garden hose quick connects make it so I can turn the washdown pump into a bilge pump if needed but also makes it super easy to pump some antifreeze through it in the winter.

there’s a number of options that come to mind what I would do is a Washdown hose bulkhead fitting with a threaded 90 to hose barb and then run some braided pvc hose down the transom. Multiple options to secure that and depending what’s already there you could cable tie it to something, or use stainless cable straps.

Could also use a blue seas cable clam with some pvc run through but the threaded bulkhead fitting would be cleaner.

If you want the pump to work at speed google “transom mounted water pickup” not really necessary but you could buy or copy a design and build your own if you would like that option.

Ideally the clam would be my best bet but I looked and I don’t think blue seas makes a clam big enough to accept the outside diameter of the hose. If that doesn’t work, I’ll look at the 90 bulkhead fitting. I’d have to get some adapters but that’d work too and I like that some have a shutoff as well. Mine will run through a switch also.

Ideally the clam would be my best bet but I looked and I don’t think blue seas makes a clam big enough to accept the outside diameter of the hose. If that doesn’t work, I’ll look at the 90 bulkhead fitting. I’d have to get some adapters but that’d work too and I like that some have a shutoff as well. Mine will run through a switch also.
Should be able to drill the rubber out larger. 3/4” pvc is just over 1”od

If you use a proper seacock and install them well they’re quite safe, lots of boats have them with zero issues for many years. On the other hand they are quite a bit more expensive and yea you have to drill a big hole in your hull. I just ran a hose out as well and have had zero issues for many seasons.

If you use a proper seacock and install them well they’re quite safe, lots of boats have them with zero issues for many years. On the other hand they are quite a bit more expensive and yea you have to drill a big hole in your hull. I just ran a hose out as well and have had zero issues for many seasons.
Do you have a pic of how you ran yours off pod?

On my previous boat (DE166) I installed a wash down pump and used the existing drain plug as the pickup so as to not drill a new hole below the waterline.

It required a new thru hull fitting, a glassed in backing plate, a Marelon seacock and some 3M 5200. Installed a low profile bilge pump at the same time which got 90% of the water out that the drain plug would have. Worked flawlessly and I never had to worry about forgetting the drain plug again.

yes it's a 3/4 inch hose and it follows the other rigging thru a boot in the transom into the boat

Multiple seacock valve on my boat, no issue whatsoever, if done properly, my bailiner I had the hose with the strainer fastened to the transom and over, looked like S… worked but redneck looking lol, Aces idea is definitely a good one

Do you have a pic of how you ran yours off pod?
I don’t unfortunately but it just comes out one of the rigging tubes and then down through a hole in the pod close to the transom I used a couple of the stainless straps on the transom if I remember correctly and it terminates about 3-4” above the bottom of the hull.

I don’t unfortunately but it just comes out one of the rigging tubes and then down through a hole in the pod close to the transom I used a couple of the stainless straps on the transom if I remember correctly and it terminates about 3-4” above the bottom of the hull.
Is an intake hose strainer mandatory if there is already a strainer at the pump?

Back