Volvo - Penta 4.3 GL

AlK

A few questions and feel free to add any comments on this engine.

Is the Volvo-Penta a good motor as far as reliability goes?
What about availability of parts?
Are there any recommended service locations on the lower mainland?

Is this more than enough power to handle a 21 foot striper?

How fuel efficient is this motor as compared to a 4 stroke (similar sized) outboard?

Are there any known common problems with this engine?

I believe a 4.3L is the equivalent to a 260 ci?

Up to now I have always had outboards but may go to an i/o setup.

Thanks

I have a 4.3 gl in a 22.5 campion explorer, 3500 rpm approx 30mph and about 3800lbs depending on motor configuration 190-210hp does approx 3MPG all parts are readily available, the engine is built off the gm 4.3lt vortec, so it uses roller cam and rockers as well,
its been around for along time, I also have the sx outdrive which is suppose to be the better beefier one, alot of people say its the same as the merc but it is NOT, if you look at the internals side by side you will see the Volvo is way heavier duty in comparison,
I've been through a couple starters but since using an OEM Volvo one have had no problems what so ever,
maybe blackmax will chime in cause I believe he has that exact package

Gidyup.

I had the exact same boat as shown in your photo. It had a 4.3 and vp dp drive and ran excellent. I'm curious if that boat was mine and did you purchased that boat from Van island.

I did have one problem, the distributor computer brain had a problem and would turn the motor off and won't start. After changing the fuel filter system, distributor cap and module, the wires, plugs......... I final discovered the cable running to the start had a minor crack (about 1") in it and if the engine's computer brain doesn't receive 8+ amp it tell itself to not turn on. I switch the cable and it ran perfect until I sold in 2007.

Excellent boat for three fishing people to fish out of. I made numerous trips to swiftsure and J buoy

Hey Doug,
I bought it from a guy locally over here that purchased it from the dealer in 01, he bought a bigger 23 wellcraft coastal from over there
I wish this had the DP but is a newer SP sx drive works well and I'm happy with it just the same

The DP on my boat was my first experience with a DP and it made the 622 handling ability unreal. I was blown away by the 4.3 and the DP set-up. Great gas milage and power
The 4.3 was is a great engine and adding it to the Campion 622 is a great combo. DP or not.

Back