Vacuum Sealer Recommendations

Perhaps we have been lucky and will be tempting the fates by posting this. We have an ancient FoodSaver Vac 1200, a rather inexpensive unit at the time, and it has been amazing. It has had a massive amount of use way over more than a decade. Besides the heavy duty use we have given it, I have also lent it out to friends when they had a lot to process. We just used it to process a 40lb Halibut. Some years back I thought it had to be way past it's end of life expectation given the amount of use it has had, and bought a new higher end model, a FoodSaver GameSaver Silver with a lot more bells and whistles, including the ability to also operate on 12 volts. The game saver is still in the box unopened, waiting for the antique FoodSaver Vac 1200 to fail.

Our foodsaver is near the end of the road so looking at some form of replacement.
My wife has bought a whole bunch of foodsaver bags, does anybody know if these bags are compatible with any other vacuum sealers outside foodsaver?

Our foodsaver is near the end of the road so looking at some form of replacement.
My wife has bought a whole bunch of foodsaver bags, does anybody know if these bags are compatible with any other vacuum sealers outside foodsaver?
I would think they should be, but if not, you should not have difficulty selling them on this forum. One thing that may have contributed to the longevity of the old FoodSaver Vac 1200 is that I leave the lid open when not sealing so that it cools down the sealing wire better and work on batches so that we are not sealing a huge amount all at once in a short period of time and overheating it.

I would think they should be, but if not, you should not have difficulty selling them on this forum. One thing that may have contributed to the longevity of the old FoodSaver Vac 1200 is that I leave the lid open when not sealing so that it cools down the sealing wire better and work on batches so that we are not sealing a huge amount all at once in a short period of time and overheating it.
I use Foodsaver bags in my Weston 2300 all the time with no issue

Yes, you should try this and report back ; )

I am also needing something new but spending over $1,000 is over my budget. Like to find something under $500.
I can deal with replacing a $150 item every few years but would be pretty uptight if my $1500 sealer quit working.

I have never tried one of these chamber sealers. I guess you can't do a full fillet. Just have to cut down to fit?
What makes these better than a regular "food saver style"? That justifies this cost?

Yes, you should try this and report back ; )

I am also needing something new but spending over $1,000 is over my budget. Like to find something under $500.
I can deal with replacing a $150 item every few years but would be pretty uptight if my $1500 sealer quit working.

I have never tried one of these chamber sealers. I guess you can't do a full fillet. Just have to cut down to fit?
What makes these better than a regular "food saver style"? That justifies this cost?
I would jump at this, but already have one and love it!!
In stock too!

Good to get a first hand review.
Easy and affordable to get bag material?
Any issues that you have had to get customer support on from the company?

Anyone else getting pop up adds for Vacuum Sealers after visiting this thread?
So weird that these ads come from what I say and do around my phone and PC, yet some people are concerned the Vaccine is the concern with being tracked. LOL!

London Drugs has a basic FoodSaver in their current flyer for $109.99, but the flyer ends today (Sept. 29). They say that is 40% off their normal price.

Would look at the Nesco brand on Amazon before buying a FoodSaver I've had a lot better luck with it and under $100

My foodsaver is at least 5 years old. Probably 6 or 7. The only issue I have is that takes a while to cool down in between sealing. Tough to justify spending more when I’ve had good luck with foodsaver

I have 3 relatively cheap units. When we have a lot of fish to process (been a while) we line them up side by side and process on 1 then 2 then 3 then1 etc. and it gives each unit time to cool and the process remains fast and efficient.

I got a Foodsaver kit that included a couple of jar sealers, an eight quart canister and a couple of rolls of bags for a wedding present in 1990. It holds the roll of bags inside and has a sliding bag cutting knife as well. It has a thin vacuum head that you have to thread the bag mouth around and it has a temperature control on the sealer that you can keep turning down in increments when you’re doing a marathon packing job. It also has the tube attachment for sealing the jars.

Several years ago I bought a London Drugs special because I thought if it was a smaller unit I would keep it near by in the kitchen and use it more often to split larger packages of meat etc.. I had it for over a year before the first time I went to pack up the results of a successful fishing trip and it sucked(wouldn’t suck). The original came out of the box and did the job. On a call with Foodsaver I was assured that it was the seal and they sent me a new one. Nope - it still wouldn’t vacuum. Because it was over warranty time before I first tried it I don’t think they believed that it had never worked and of course they ‘couldn’t‘ do anything about it now.

I have since been gifted another small Foodsaver unit that works fine but it doesn’t have the same vacuum strength of the original which I still keep in the store room as a back-up.

Nothing is made like it used to be. My original food saver lasted forever and I abused it. Finally the lock down broke and I have replaced it twice. It still works if I want to hold it shut while I seal. The first replacement never worked consistently. The second is from Cabellas and is hit and miss. Seems to work fine if I do very slowly allowing to cool between. 2 packs then walk away for a while...2 packs walk away... I am using food saver bags in it because Cabellas is too far away. I think it has a lot of suction, the pin bones tend to poke the bag. 4ml bags may work better. I am going to grab some next time up island. Anyone have a good online source for cheaper 4mm bags?

Nothing is made like it used to be. My original food saver lasted forever and I abused it. Finally the lock down broke and I have replaced it twice. It still works if I want to hold it shut while I seal. The first replacement never worked consistently. The second is from Cabellas and is hit and miss. Seems to work fine if I do very slowly allowing to cool between. 2 packs then walk away for a while...2 packs walk away... I am using food saver bags in it because Cabellas is too far away. I think it has a lot of suction, the pin bones tend to poke the bag. 4ml bags may work better. I am going to grab some next time up island. Anyone have a good online source for cheaper 4mm bags?
Halfords.

I think a lot goes into proper prep before vacuum sealing and proper storage. The more it’s handled, the shorter it lasts.

I find that buying the premade bags has really saved on the Foodsaver machine as you are only doing one seal verses the rolls

Back