US boats!!

• Thread starter Thread starter idrinklucky
  • Start date Start date
I

idrinklucky

is anyone else getting sick and tired of people buying and selling boats from the states!---It is a buyers market so be smart with your money.Some of the prices I see are just crazy -----wake up!!!!
TWO WORDS-----BUYERS MARKET!!!!

people are too lazy or scared to go to the US to get one
and there are some stupid people who buy 45K boats without a inspection
so it maybe a buyers market but there si a sucker born every day

as with any investment there is a certain amount of risk. Individual rick tolerance varies from person to person. Why would someone have a problem with anothers tolerance?

What ever...
Nobody has a problem with buying hurricane damage **** from Canadian companies but god forbid a guy go across the line a get a decent boat for himself...
As a matter of fact...anyone rebuilding these boats in Canada should be careful...once you start altering a vessel from original...the hull has to conform with the new standards in CANADA...so just try and get that passed by Transport Canada if your a guide...do your homework.

Hey Lucky are you by any chance a local boat salesman??? Who cares where people buy there boats, that's there issue. I thought this forum was about saltwater fishing.

richmake
I have done my homework. Fiberglass is realatively easy and inexpensive to repair. That really doesnt have anything to do with the transport canada inspection. I know alot of people who are guides that have imported boats from the states, including myself. I do not however, know anyone who has altered them from original, other than the thru hull refit etc.. required by TC. I know this because I personally have contracts to do the refits on a number of lodge boats (grady whites and Pursuits)to bring them to code. I think its called cost of doing buisiness (not trying to be rude). There is an outfit in Vancouver who buys damaged boats and completely rebuilds them, does a really nice job too.. I cant recall the name of the outfit.

I won't say the name of the outfit either...I 've heard both good and bad stories...
As far as construction standards go...I don't know alot but here's some info that might be of interest
http://www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/tp/tp1332/section1.htm
I was told by a fellow at Transport Canada that any boat that was imported into canada for the purpose of non-pleasure use...the vessel had to meet Canada's new vessel standards and reg's...
Of course...I don't think all of this is to relevent and of course when you phone Tranport Canada...you'll get someone who knows nothing about what your asking...you'll get transfered to another guy fresh out of the east coast freighter division and he'll ask you what kind of shipm you need inspected...you'll explain your needs again and be transfered again...repeat...

as someone mentioned there is a lot of risk involved with shipping a boat up. So of course the a guy deserves to make a few bucks if he decides to sell it, he took the initial risk.

Oh and by the way I have a 20' grady for sale for $30,000 ;)

Not that I don't beleive in a person's right to post a topic, but is it neceassary to post this 3 times. It should be signed IDrankTooMuchLucky.

quote:Originally posted by richmake

I won't say the name of the outfit either...I 've heard both good and bad stories...
As far as construction standards go...I don't know alot but here's some info that might be of interest
http://www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/tp/tp1332/section1.htm
I was told by a fellow at Transport Canada that any boat that was imported into canada for the purpose of non-pleasure use...the vessel had to meet Canada's new vessel standards and reg's...
Of course...I don't think all of this is to relevent and of course when you phone Tranport Canada...you'll get someone who knows nothing about what your asking...you'll get transfered to another guy fresh out of the east coast freighter division and he'll ask you what kind of shipm you need inspected...you'll explain your needs again and be transfered again...repeat...

man can't agree more about the uselessness of the people when you phone TC. You will go through 4 people and each one will tell you a different story...through the 3 times I've phoned...it's happened each time. What a joke! It's confusing as $#!t too!

idrinklucky, Not sure what you are talking about. I just had three new Suzuki 4 strokes put on my boat in Everett, WA. I asked if they were hurting and they said no as right now 40% of their motor sales are Canadian. The exchange rate flips the tables on us. Americans used to go up there and have new motors put on. Not happening now. Take a good deal for what its worth US or Canadian.

I have to reaffirm the communication breakdown from transport canada. Like it was stated, the guidelines are for boats the size of a small inflatable to a 300' cargo ship. I called tc yesterday in Nanaimo and talked to a lady who when I asked my question (I wanted to know how far above the waterline shutoff valves are required). She told me to go to their website, "everything is posted there". Has anyone been to that site? If you can make heads or tails of it, youre a better man than I. Any it turns out the lady at tc couldnt figure it out either. George (the inspector) was supposed to call me yesterday, Im still waiting. Ive decided to use my best judgement because I dont expect any info from tc until the inspection.
I have been finding the easiest way to remove the plastic thru hulls is to tap them with a hammer, most of them break right off! Pretty scary...

The problem would be solved instantly if it were up to me...
One guy at Transport Canada...either an employee or a contractor with the knowledge of our west coast,what types of operations we do and a basic grasp on what the basic regulations are for inspection programs.
They don't have to know how to inspect...just what is needed by the operator to pass as well as the courses they need...

Back